Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo recall

Views : 4725

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:06   #1
ad s80

Default volvo recall

Click the following to access the sent link:

Volvo recalls 360,000 for accelerator bug - Nov. 24, 2006* CNNmoney will expire this article on 12/24/2006.

Get your EMAIL THIS Browser Button and use it to email information from any Web site.

*This article can also be accessed if you copy and paste the entire address below into your web browser.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/24/auto...reut/index.htm

may be the above is good for those persuing in vain

Last edited by Bob; Nov 26th, 2006 at 12:22.
ad s80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 00:12   #2
Oli
VOC Member

It's just the software. It's just a fix. It's available in the UK. It's not a full cure, but will enable the car to deal with a deteriorating mechanical design fault better. But it does not stop the mechanical design fault from deteriorating further and failing altogether at a later date.

What's needed is an alternative physical solution, not just software.

Thanks for the post though

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 10:40   #3
jeanette39uk

Unhappy thanks for this post sounds like my volvo v70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
It's just the software. It's just a fix. It's available in the UK. It's not a full cure, but will enable the car to deal with a deteriorating mechanical design fault better. But it does not stop the mechanical design fault from deteriorating further and failing altogether at a later date.

What's needed is an alternative physical solution, not just software.

Thanks for the post though

Oli
hi thanks for this post,

as a new member to this site, and a volvo owner of a volvo v70 tdi manual, i have been exsperienceing this problem for sometime on my car and had a few frights whilst driving this.

i have had the car for about a year now and the service light has been on since ive had it,it flashes up service in orange all the time and occasionally you get the trangle symbol come up with a ornage ttriangle inside it and what looks like a jack black symbol inside that,and the car will die, but then could be ok for another couple of weeks,i have had regular diagnostic check, checked fuel pump by my husband etc etc, even phoned up volvo dealer to see if our car came under thsi recall, as was advertised on tv by watchdog, but only applies to petrol models and as mine is deisel its sods law im not covered.told could be maf sensor,but will be ringing the dealer again to have the car serviced as moving to lincs in the new year and dont want to be stranded, im thinking of getting the fault done and perhaps selling the car, would like to get another volvo, but very weary from what ive read and heard alot of volvos have still the same problems, so much reluctantly have to change car make.

if anybody can help me with this as im lost with it all and fed uyp with it to be honest.

take care and thanks for posting this problem.

all the best
jen.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 10:48   #4
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

jen its not a case of not being covered, this recall relates to a faulty etm (electronic throttle module)...your v/w audi engine does not have this system, thankfully ,so you should direct your attention elsewhere.....
as i have suggested elsewhere, earlier have your codes read by a main dealer as the lambda light (green triangle) being illuminated should mean a code has been stored....
cheers
jod
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 19:16   #5
Oli
VOC Member

Hello Jen

I agree with Jod (of course!), get the codes read, as this could be a number of things. And you're not covered as I'm pretty sure you're not effected by the petrol engined problem.

By the way, it has been known for dealers to charge for reading the codes, but having said that, they've never charged me. Claim your worried about safety and would like the codes read, puts a better spin on it and should stop them even thinking about charging.

Let us know how you get on.

ATB

Oli
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 18:56   #6
jeanette39uk

Quote:
Hello Jen

I agree with Jod (of course!), get the codes read, as this could be a number of things. And you're not covered as I'm pretty sure you're not effected by the petrol engined problem.

By the way, it has been known for dealers to charge for reading the codes, but having said that, they've never charged me. Claim your worried about safety and would like the codes read, puts a better spin on it and should stop them even thinking about charging.

Let us know how you get on.

ATB

Oli

hi thanks jod,and oli,

I will mention the safety factor, and as jod has previously mentioned get the codes read.

just as a matter of interest is the cross country affected by this etm problem, as if i cant get this sorted, ill be gutted to think about another make of car, im going to ring stuarts autos up on monday and ask if he can help with the reading of the codes etc.

thanks
jen.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 00:48   #7
Oli
VOC Member

Jen

The issue effects most petrol engined cars (S/C/V 70s, S80s, and maybe some others - there's a list in a thread/post somewhere on here) between 1999 and 2001 and some in to 2002.

BUT the Tdi engines are not effected.

In the classic shape for the V70, I think the XC AWD only came as a petrol engine, so yes, it is effected. However, if there is a diesel one, then it will not be.

If you're serious about getting a classic shape XC AWD, just be aware of the angle drive issues that is part of the AWD. It requires that all tyres have a tread depth within 2mm of each other, otherwise the angle drive can be damaged after prolonged use. I have the AWD system and it works really well, the grip and control are fab, and the tread ware is very even front and back, so not an issue, unless you have an unrepairable puncture, then you may need 4 new tyres. I'm happy taking the risk. If buying one, check the tyre depths all round, get the car on a ramp so that the angle drive can be inspected for oil leaks, make sure you've a warranty. The new shape XCs have a different system without the same restrictions.

Don't be put off. These cars are a minimum of 6 years old now, but most a lot older, and you still see a lot of them on the road. If maintained and loved, they can go on for a long time, still feeling like a luxury car. Most other brands have their own issues, just search the forums for Merc, BMW, etc. and you'll see.

Keep us posted

Oli
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 10:26   #8
jeanette39uk

Quote:
Jen

The issue effects most petrol engined cars (S/C/V 70s, S80s, and maybe some others - there's a list in a thread/post somewhere on here) between 1999 and 2001 and some in to 2002.

BUT the Tdi engines are not effected.

In the classic shape for the V70, I think the XC AWD only came as a petrol engine, so yes, it is effected. However, if there is a diesel one, then it will not be.

If you're serious about getting a classic shape XC AWD, just be aware of the angle drive issues that is part of the AWD. It requires that all tyres have a tread depth within 2mm of each other, otherwise the angle drive can be damaged after prolonged use. I have the AWD system and it works really well, the grip and control are fab, and the tread ware is very even front and back, so not an issue, unless you have an unrepairable puncture, then you may need 4 new tyres. I'm happy taking the risk. If buying one, check the tyre depths all round, get the car on a ramp so that the angle drive can be inspected for oil leaks, make sure you've a warranty. The new shape XCs have a different system without the same restrictions.

Don't be put off. These cars are a minimum of 6 years old now, but most a lot older, and you still see a lot of them on the road. If maintained and loved, they can go on for a long time, still feeling like a luxury car. Most other brands have their own issues, just search the forums for Merc, BMW, etc. and you'll see.

Keep us posted

Oli
Hi Oli,

Thanks for the info, im very veary now to get another Volvo, if i cant get this problem rectified, as i said earlier i will contact stuart and take things from there, as i need to get this sorted asap, because i move to lincolnshire on the 6th of jan, and need a car that will cope with the countryside and all weathers out there, as we are out in the sticks truly there.

Thanks for all your help
and i will definately keep you posted Oli on here.

all the best jen.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 23:18   #9
Oli
VOC Member

Well there's always Subaru. The Impreza is too small if you've 4 kids, but the Forrester may be a good option. And then there's the good old Land Rover Defender 110. Thinking of getting one for my wife instead of the standard issue Range Rover or XC90 in these parts for the school run.

Hope Stuart can help, and fingers crossed it's an easy and cheap fix.

Oli
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 23:46   #10
jeanette39uk

Quote:
Well there's always Subaru. The Impreza is too small if you've 4 kids, but the Forrester may be a good option. And then there's the good old Land Rover Defender 110. Thinking of getting one for my wife instead of the standard issue Range Rover or XC90 in these parts for the school run.

Hope Stuart can help, and fingers crossed it's an easy and cheap fix.

Oli
hi again Oli,

wow this is very weird,as my husband and i were discussing before i even joined this gr8 site,that if i couldnt get the problem fixed with my volvo, that we would consider getting a forrester,although i have 4 kids i only have 3 living with me as eldest doesnt live with us .

I will ring stuart as i say tommorow after ive dropped ths kids of to school, as i have loads todo after ringing him, packing up and xmas food shopping lol.

Ill keep you posted thanks Oli, for you kind help,its much appreciated,this goes from me and my husband.

all the best
jen.