Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Modifying the 940

Views : 1322

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2019, 00:57   #11
Silver940

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Right I have searched and searched and I keep getting conflicting information so I thought I would start a new thread as people have done the mods more often now so hopefully the correct answers will be readily available now.

My goal is 250-300hp in my daily 1997 LPT 940, so far I have almost finished stage 0 (just need new HT leads) and a manual boost controller set at 8psi.

Right the first hurdle, fuel cut (often called boost cut) is it true a 3" maf off a 960 will stop this? If so how and does it make the car run too rich/lean?

I have found chips from boostinbilly off eBay which remove fuel cut and raise the rev limit to 6700rpm but removes the ECU immobiliser which I'm not too keen on.

I will be fitting a Garrett t3 on a 90+ manifold and a 3" straight through exhaust which should see me to the 250hp mark with other supporting mods correct?

The camshaft, as you will all know the car falls flat on its face about 4.5-5k rpm. I love the low down torque but want it to pull a bit longer, will an A cam be fine for this?

Will any head porting be needed for 250hp?

Any other tips or advice please feel free to say.

Thanks in advance
Using chips on ebay should eliminate the boost cut, keep in mind youll probably need more fuel as a saftey for no boost cut and around 12 to 14 psi but around 14psi the 13c is crap and blows hot air, you can get cheap 15ts from ebay taking off the cold side and put that on your stock 13c hotside but you wont get too much out of it, i recommend a bigger cam and 16t or t3 but going t3 you need a different exhaust downpipe oil lines and adapterplate on the manifold, mamba sells the manifold adapter and oil lines but thisll run you around 100,you'll need to mod the injector resistor pack for different impedence injectors and youll need bigger injectors, so its your choice tbh id go a cam,15g *off an 850* fuel chips and fpr set slightly higher at 4bar at 15psi boost and be about happy
Silver940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silver940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 16:38   #12
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

A few points to cover

The 13c is a big limit to making power as it rather on the small side. The 850 turbos are a easy way to get something a bit better but good working ones are hard to find. The Garret T3 is my preferred choice.

The intercooler is a limit as over 12psi the plastic end tanks are prone to splitting off. A all alloy unit is the best way to go either universal or drop in https://www.classicswede.co.uk/24074..._15939121.aspx

Cam wise for a daily driven car the V-VX-V3-K-H are all poor choices. The A cam will solve the brick wall in power @4500rpm and still be great low down. There are some good aftermarket turbo grinds if you have budget for that.

Injectors there are many options but best to go high resistance and delete the resistor pack. Stay clear of cheap "ebay" injectors as they more often than not simply do not flow right.

With a sub 500BHP target stick with a normal style head gasket, no need for anything fancy.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 19:06   #13
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I'm using the 111k kilometre Garrett T3 off a 760 I broke about 8 years ago in New Zealand. It has absolutely no play in it whatsoever.

I will using the 90+ manifold with an adaptor plate, the oil lines etc aren't a problem as I kept them too so I have them to fit straight on.

Different downpipe etc isn't an issue as I will be making a 3" straight piped exhaust.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Genui...wAAOSw7Apc~5IC

Are those the sort of injectors suitable or will they not work/too big?

I have climate control on mine that has one leak in it so I will be getting it working and keeping it. However my mate who has just bought a 940 has the same plans for his (poverty spec) so that might be worth him looking at the intercooler Dai.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 19:16   #14
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Those injectors would be fine

The T3 and 13c use the exhaust flange so normal aftermarket systems will fit
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: