Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SRS system. New seats - missing wiring?

Views : 752

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2019, 23:41   #11
maxPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've seen the results of an airbag deploying in a minor shunt. About 12 years ago, a work colleague had a walking speed head to head shunt in his works van. He was deaf for three days and had a white stripe across his face where his glasses were, they protected his eyes from the "slap" the airbag gave the rest of his face!

This is the kind of treatment I'd rather not see my wife given. But, perhaps best to keep them enabled for the worser cases.
maxPower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maxPower For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 09:34   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxPower View Post
This is the kind of treatment I'd rather not see my wife given. But, perhaps best to keep them enabled for the worser cases.
That's the problem, airbags are indiscriminate in deployment, if the impact sensors detect an impact, the airbags are deployed.

There may be a case for them in collisions above a certain speed in certain conditions but i remain unconvinced they are as effective as manufacturers would have us believe.

The best way of avoiding deployment of an airbag (besides removing the things) is to adopt a defensive, advanced driving style, reading the road ahead, constantly scanning for things that could happen and taking evasive action (or at least being prepared to take evasive action) if the worst happens.

Accidents can still happen (like the case of my colleague) but minimising the general risks otherwise has to be a good idea. For the record, the accident my colleague had at walking pace happened due to a patch of black ice and was on a junction so one had slowed to a crawl to turn and the other was just pulling out and the deployment of the airbags in both vehicles was unnecessary as it caused more injury to both drivers (i'm not sure exactly what the other driver suffered but apparently his face was redder than my colleagues) than the collision.

The one funny bit - on the insurance form my colleague had to fill out there was a question "What could you have done to avoid the accident?". His answer was "Stayed in bed!" as he was within a few yards of his home.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 10:30   #13
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Seat airbags

The side airbags in the front seats are mechanically fired by an actuator mounted in the lower part of the seat, so you will find no wiring for the side airbag. These seats are easily identified by the smaller cubbyhole at the side of the seat.
The other airbags are deployed by the SRS computer. The deployment deceleration threshold was increased for later models.
By the way, if I would have had a steering wheel airbag many years ago I would not have a dent in my forehead now and would not have lost a year recovering...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SIPS airbag.jpg (183.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Rversteeg; Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:34.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 14:20   #14
maxPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
The side airbags in the front seats are mechanically fired by an actuator mounted in the lower part of the seat, so you will find no wiring for the side airbag. These seats are easily identified by the smaller cubbyhole at the side of the seat.
The other airbags are deployed by the SRS computer. The deployment deceleration threshold was increased for later models.
By the way, if I would have had a steering wheel airbag many years ago I would not have a dent in my forehead now and would not have lost a year recovering...

Excellent information. And I'm sorry to hear about your accident - thank you for providing your perspective. I'll keep it activated. Part of my goal with understanding the SRS system comprehensively is so I can be sure things are working as they should.

Do you know what the aforementioned green and black cable is for?
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 14:21   #15
maxPower

By the way, forget if this information made it out but to clarify:

1. The seats are from a 1993 turbo sedan - https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check...JS8701P1144867

2. They are going into a 1994 turbo wagon