Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The art of Chip Tuning.

Views : 16324

Replies : 136

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 22:49   #1
don kalmar union
Trader

Default The art of Chip Tuning.

There is an interesting addition to a thread concerning the remapping of Volvo engines in the Ford section of the forums at www.pistonheads.com that should be a warning to those considering the safe remapping of their Volvo engines.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 06:33   #2
mharriso
Master Member

Cheers Don, made for intersting reading.

Seems as usual opinions getting in the way of facts, and people speaking on behalf of others without having first hand experince / data...

on a forum... surely not...?????

For anyone trying to find the relevent link its here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...&t=223337&i=60

Re tuning, go for it, with people who are reputable with good experience and proven results. Just don't whinge if some thing goes wrong. You elected to alter from stock, so accept the responsibility if something goes pop.

Happy days... now back to my sh1t heap n/a s40 2.0l auto... (closest thing to tuning is cleaning the bird sh1t off it...)
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 19:00   #3
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

Excellent. Thanks for the link. Always a laugh to read posts by the "Guru of Volvo Tuning". (Can't mention the names here.)

cheers
pigapumbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 20:32   #4
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Indeed, thanks for the link Don - eye opening stuff. It would appear that some chickens are finally coming home to roost........

I do feel very sorry for the owner in question though, especially given that it appears that he has incurred a very large expense which has turned out to be for naught.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 20:40   #5
smudgerII

Default confused!

Now I'm reet confused...... Who's good and who's bad at this tuning lark? Been saving for 2 months, nearly got the money together, and now dont know where to go.

Dont want to start a war, or a long thread, but there are so many post's on this subject.
smudgerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:23   #6
insider

You have to wonder if the "Guru's at Volvotuning" think it's perfectly acceptable to send out cars with AFR's at Lambda 1 or even leaner as
1 poster pointed out after being heavily tuned!

I wonder if they work to the principle that the AFR must be 14.7:1 at all times because from Adam's post over on Pistonheads, it would possibly appear so.

It makes you wonder what planet they hail from, it certainly isn't a planet where they have tuned car engines that last very long, maybe they have a surplus of spare engines in Bromsgrove they need to shift.

Someone posted one of their afr plots at http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=570&st=20 He's lucky it's lasted so far, well until it appears Marco remapped it properly.

Frightening, absolutely frightening. I'd expect a flurry of backside covering coming up shortly, (especially if they've only just realised about the 14.7 issue) which would tie in with the dyno plot Adam originally posted on pistonheads being deleted suddenly!

Thanks for the link Don
insider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:24   #7
Nuisance
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgerII View Post
Now I'm reet confused...... Who's good and who's bad at this tuning lark? Been saving for 2 months, nearly got the money together, and now dont know where to go.

Dont want to start a war, or a long thread, but there are so many post's on this subject.
If you're going for an off the shelf map, then they're all tried and tested, so should be worry free. Just beware that they can be spotted, so declare them.

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary:
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary:
People are a problem.

Last edited by Nuisance; Sep 3rd, 2007 at 01:38.
Nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:39   #8
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
You have to wonder if the "Guru's at Volvotuning" think it's perfectly acceptable to send out cars with AFR's at Lambda 1 or even leaner as 1 poster pointed out after being heavily tuned!
This is indeed what horrifies me the most!! How on earth can one fathom charging and handing over the keys to a trusting owner who's newly 'tuned' T5 engine is running lamba 1 most of the time at WOT?? I agree businesses have to make money to survive but surely not in this way.....its unethical!! However this does lead on to one fundamental question - is all this down to poor understanding or sheer incompetency / inability to map a car?

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 20:08   #9
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyaap View Post
However this does lead on to one fundamental question - is all this down to poor understanding or sheer incompetency / inability to map a car?
Good question!

cheers
pigapumbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 06:36   #10
mharriso
Master Member

easy answer... BOTH!!!!!

did some more tuning on the s40 myself on the weekend.. scraped more bird **** off.... deffo goes faster... it was on the screen so i was going slow cos i couldn't see.... cost... some windex... woo hoo.....
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote