Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

buyers guide?

Views : 1645

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2012, 21:00   #1
frenchedt
Horsedentist

Default buyers guide?

Hi I'm a newbie and have been looking round for a companion to replace my focus in maybe 12 to 18 months. (unless the ford dies of course!)

It will have to be a Diesel as my mileage is creeping up and being in France and Diesel being noticeably cheaper I can't ignore it any longer. If you reckon a petrol would be a cheaper overall cost option (service and repair costs)then I'll consider that of course.

I like the security of a saloon (can't see my tools in the boot) but the focus is a hatch so an estate would be Ok I guess.

I'll want to spend say 2500gbp on the car so could anyone suggest what I should consider and what to be wary of on these please.
(I work on a 500 to 600 quid a year car replacement budget so 4 years x 600 = 2400)

It would be nice to be able to pull a 750kg unbraked trailer too. I think 665kg is the s/V40 limit which may be enough.
Or would you suggest I go to an S60 instead?

I like a car that has some performance and very much prefer having a pointy front end (the focus is a nice car on a twisty road and I have lots of them so any comments on that would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance men!
frenchedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 21:26   #2
scootb

Hi mate,Im new here myself but like you upgraded from a focus.

I hated my focus though lol,with a passion.The minute I took my v40 for a test drive about 4-5weeks ago I new I was buying it,even without road tax.

The comfort difference is amazing mate,Im usualy getting 35-40mpg in a 1.8i(gdi) model,Ive just had:
New cambelt+2xaux belts
Full service
Drop links
N2(Nitrogen) added to the tyres.

All done over the past week so am looking forward to seeing if there is any difference in economy,I have noticed a change in performance.

I forgot to add I drive alot of A-roads,and motorways and the V40 handles really well,its been frosty,and wet here in scotland since I bought the car as well!

Nothing wrong with a GDI!!
scootb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 22:53   #3
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

ScootB where are you in Ayrshire?

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 00:42   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

I would recommend you are carefull about towing limits for any car, as apart from the extra wear and tear on the clutch and gearbox it could cause trouble with both the police in the EU and your own insurance company. A van is sometimes better.
The 1.9D V40 phase 2 is a great car but watch for the following main points common the older diesels.
1/ Check documentation for last cam belt service!
2/ Instant cold or hot starting.
3/ No smoke at idle cold or hot.
4/ No smoke at full power.
5/ Correct turbo response.
6/ Listen to the engine for pulley rattles etc with bonnet up.
7/ Check for oil drips both before and after test drive.
8/ Rear suspension bushes and joints don't last forever
9/ Make sure the ABS works correctly with no warning light.
10/ Ask what type of oil has been used etc. (Should be 5/40 semi or preferably full synthetic) Always change it after buying if not sure what it is.
The V40 handles well assuming the shocks etc are good and will not overheat towing, but the weight you gave is a concern.

Last edited by skyship007; Mar 10th, 2012 at 00:45.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 03:05   #5
scootb

Im in Beith mate.

Old Mar 10th, 2012, 12:29   #6
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootb View Post
Im in Beith mate.
You live about 30-40 miles from me

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 16:40   #7
scootb

Lol small world mate,30-40 miles you towards greenock or killie?

I grew up in stewarton(the bonnie toon) back in the mid-late 70's(all changed now though,and NOT for the better.)

You don't work in Hillington industrial estate by any chance do you? Seen a couple of gold/bronze S40's around there.

Old Mar 10th, 2012, 17:26   #8
frenchedt
Horsedentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
I would recommend you are carefull about towing limits for any car, as apart from the extra wear and tear on the clutch and gearbox it could cause trouble with both the police in the EU and your own insurance company. A van is sometimes better.
The 1.9D V40 phase 2 is a great car but watch for the following main points common the older diesels.
1/ Check documentation for last cam belt service!
2/ Instant cold or hot starting.
3/ No smoke at idle cold or hot.
4/ No smoke at full power.
5/ Correct turbo response.
6/ Listen to the engine for pulley rattles etc with bonnet up.
7/ Check for oil drips both before and after test drive.
8/ Rear suspension bushes and joints don't last forever
9/ Make sure the ABS works correctly with no warning light.
10/ Ask what type of oil has been used etc. (Should be 5/40 semi or preferably full synthetic) Always change it after buying if not sure what it is.
The V40 handles well assuming the shocks etc are good and will not overheat towing, but the weight you gave is a concern.
I do have a Ford ranger who's job is to tow the 3 trailers I have, it would be handy for 6 or so times a year to be able to take something more economical to tow the stock trailer round to do a show. Still it's not a show stopper if it can't tow. Anybody reckon a petrol would be a better bet or is the concensus that diesel is the way forward? What kind of mileage should a well cared for engine cope with do you think?
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 17:29   #9
frenchedt
Horsedentist

Quote:
Hi mate,Im new here myself but like you upgraded from a focus.

I hated my focus though lol,with a passion.The minute I took my v40 for a test drive about 4-5weeks ago I new I was buying it,even without road tax.

The comfort difference is amazing mate,Im usualy getting 35-40mpg in a 1.8i(gdi) model,Ive just had:
New cambelt+2xaux belts
Full service
Drop links
N2(Nitrogen) added to the tyres.

All done over the past week so am looking forward to seeing if there is any difference in economy,I have noticed a change in performance.

I forgot to add I drive alot of A-roads,and motorways and the V40 handles really well,its been frosty,and wet here in scotland since I bought the car as well!

My focus is a 2.0 ghia and regularly returns 37mpg which is pretty good I reckon. Have had 40 once!
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 17:59   #10
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Lol small world mate,30-40 miles you towards greenock or killie?

I grew up in stewarton(the bonnie toon) back in the mid-late 70's(all changed now though,and NOT for the better.)

You don't work in Hillington industrial estate by any chance do you? Seen a couple of gold/bronze S40's around there.
I'm in south ayrshire near Ayr.

Approx 46 miles from Glasgow.