Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Car Insurance price hike

Views : 1972

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2020, 15:19   #1
volvocat

Default Volvo Car Insurance price hike

Last year I changed to Volvo Car Insurance because they guarantee to use genuine Volvo parts, paints, workshops etc. and don’t charge extra for Polestar; plus, Esure gave me a silly price for the T6, despite previously being very reasonable for my V90CC D5 - and several cars before that.
Come renewal time this year, VCI quoted a price hike of £130 (£409 up to £539), which seems pretty excessive considering my age (59), max. no claims record, no convictions, living in a rural low crime area, etc...
I would be naive not to expect some increase - but this much - really...?!
And considering very many of us are currently using our cars a hell of a lot less, surely that constitutes a lower risk, making big hikes even less justified - yea, I know the world’s a cruel place and life’s not fair but - come on!!

I’ve recently got comparable quotes a low as £282, but obviously no guarantee of Volvo parts used.

So firstly, has anyone else with VCI had similar treatment?

Secondly, does anyone know if VCI’s claim that not using genuine parts etc. affects warranties and resale values, including qualification for Selekt?
I like the peace of mind that guaranteed genuine parts would bring and understand its importance with servicing, but how much real-world difference would use of say, a good quality non-Volvo panel (if such things exist) make in the event of a minor repair? Or is it just so much sales hype?

Thirdly, has anyone had any adverse experiences from accident damage repaired with non-Volvo parts?

If a car gets damaged and repaired, doesn’t it have to be declared as Cat D/C - or whatever, anyway - thus affecting value? Or is that only for older vehicles outwith any warranties?

Any advice, thoughts, comments, abuse, ridicule - as appropriate...
Thanks... 😁
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 16:00   #2
Fursty Ferret

First year: good. Non-fault accident repaired used genuine Volvo parts and an approved bodyshop. Reasonable price.
Second year: Price went down.
Third year: Price doubled. Went to eSure.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 16:11   #3
Moonlanders

Volvo quoted me £900 for my XC90. I am 52, with full no claims and live in a quiet rural market town.

Stayed with Direct Line at approx £600. Will shop around at next renewal.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 16:43   #4
dling

I'm sorry I cannot really bring any value to OPs question as I live in another country, but I have a curiosity. It is not the first time I see on this forum insurance prices between 300 and 600 pounds. What do you guys get for this money? It looks pretty cheap compared with what I pay now. And I pay much less than I used to pay back home.

For example today I pay the equivalent of about 1200 pounds for a full CASCO including the MTPL.
Back home (Romania) I would have probably paid 1500 pounds for full CASCO and MTPL (2-300) would have been on top (I know, crazy country)

So, is the 300-600 pounds the total amount you would pay for insurance over a year?

Thanks
dling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 16:54   #5
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dling View Post
I'm sorry I cannot really bring any value to OPs question as I live in another country, but I have a curiosity. It is not the first time I see on this forum insurance prices between 300 and 600 pounds. What do you guys get for this money? It looks pretty cheap compared with what I pay now. And I pay much less than I used to pay back home.

For example today I pay the equivalent of about 1200 pounds for a full CASCO including the MTPL.
Back home (Romania) I would have probably paid 1500 pounds for full CASCO and MTPL (2-300) would have been on top (I know, crazy country)

So, is the 300-600 pounds the total amount you would pay for insurance over a year?

Thanks
The £300 - £600 would usually cover accidental damage, fire and theft to the insured vehicle. It also covers liability for third party death, injury or property damage. In many cases it will include cover for a hire car if the insured vehicle is off the road following an accident or theft. The premium does provide cover for a year.

Sorry, but I am not familiar with the terminology of CASCO and MTPL so cannot say exactly how it compares. Hopefully this gives you enough for you to compare.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 16:58   #6
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:

Thanks
Yes, the 300-600 pounds is the total amount we would pay for comprehensive insurance for a year.

Should you claim on the insurance, an 'excess' will apply. This is a payment that the insurance company will ask you to pay towards the claim. This can be a few hundred pounds but is only payable if you claim.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 17:06   #7
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:

Thanks
Not sure what CASCO and MTPL are but don't be sucked in by the figures many of us quote. On the 2nd March I changed my car and advised the insurance company , Apart from the additional premium for the remander of the contract period (until 30th April) I was advised that my full years premium would have been £553. On the 1st April I received notification of my renewal premium effective from 1st May. The premium had gone up to £661 (20% increase.. All of the above figures are with a maximum No Claims Bonus of 70% which took 9 years to 'earn'. If I hadn't any NCB my premium would, by my calculations, be £2200 + . Additionally, any claim I make would require me to pay the first £350 in the form of an excess.
To answer your prime question I suspect that most of us have comprehensive insurance which means that following an accident in most cases the car is repaired up to the cost of it's replacement value as negotiated with the insurance company.

Last edited by Boatie; Apr 27th, 2020 at 17:13.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 18:30   #8
EssexExile
Master Member

A quick Google tells me that CASCO is more or less what we Brits think of as "fully comprehensive" while MTPL looks like our legal minimum third party cover.

It's difficult to compare one person's insurance costs with another as there are so many variables - location, type of use, excess, no claim discount, driver's profession & age, etc. Then there are all the extras you can add on - similar size hire car, legal cover, breakdown cover, extra drivers, etc.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 20:49   #9
eternal optimist
Master Member

Looking at this chart explains why there’s such a difference in car insurance costs if you take road deaths as a proxy for accident numbers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JPEG image.jpg (152.4 KB, 42 views)
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 00:31   #10
Cull06
Master Member

So even with Esure, when I had a drink driver do my car in last year, they said I can either use their approved garage or otherwise a garage of my choice (i.e the OEM) for I think it was an extra £200 excess which I would then have claimed off the third party.

I ended up using their own approved garage in the end. They were fully accredited and had a good rep when I asked around. Obvs they would only use OEM genuine parts as it was part of the accreditation and was guaranteed.

So in summary I say shop around, and have a look through the policy that you can select the OEM garage if you insist, or at least what that means if you request that.

Don’t forget to check youre covered for uninsured drivers. They are everywhere.

In case that helps.?
Cull06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cull06 For This Useful Post: