Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Powershift v Geartronic

Views : 31520

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 14:00   #1
zimbo565

Default Powershift v Geartronic

Hello!

My wife and I are looking to buy a nearly new car to keep for the next 10 years or so and have settled on a diesel S40. It needs to be automatic so we are looking at either a 2008 2.0 Powershift or 2.4 Geartronic.

It appears that the DSG box used by VW Audi has quite a few issues (Google 'DSG Problems' for instance) but I haven't heard of any similar issues with the Powershift (either Volvo or Ford) but maybe it hasn't been in use long enough yet.

Have any of you here any thoughts or experience on the reliability of the Powershift compared to the Geartronic?

Many thanks
zimbo565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 17:19   #2
Master Member

We have a V50 2 litre diesel 2008 with powershift which was bought to replace a V70 geartronic mainly because of fuel consumption when fuel prices were rising steeply

The V70 did around 25 mpg

The V50 has done over 40mpg since new

There have been no issues with the powershift gearbox and it is difficult to be aware of gear changes unless you listen for them
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 961 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 17:26   #3
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quite a few Powershift boxes have been changed in Germany. Mainly with worn out clutches (around 70.000 km ~ 40.000 miles!) and with Ford the same...

No wonder it has been removed from the Volvo box choices...

The Geartronic is simply the better box. With the newer versions having an earlier lock up etc.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 17:51   #4
tayandre

Being a Powershift owner and having test driven Geartronic I'd say Powershift is by far the better choice.

Changes are smooth but very fast. The car always feels like it's in the right gear unlike Geartronic which always felt like it was in the wrong gear or slow to change down/up. There is no MPG penalty with Powershift. I am now averaging 51MPG on mostly motorway journeys cruising at 65-70mph. When I'm off work and only doing short journeys it drops to low to mid 40s. To get that on a D3/4/5 with Geartronic you'll need to drive on a long straight road at 55, preferably downhill with a tail wind. They are thirsy but the 5-cyl diesel does have a unique if sometimes obtrusive note to it.

The Ford/PSA 2.0D is a quieter car than the D5.

I'm surprised to hear of early clutch wear - they are wet clutches so should be good for 150k+ miles.

Neither is it true that Volvo have dropped Powershift - it's available on V60/S60/XC60 with the Ford Ecoboost petrol engines.
tayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tayandre For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 18:26   #5
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post
Being a Powershift owner and having test driven Geartronic I'd say Powershift is by far the better choice.

Changes are smooth but very fast. The car always feels like it's in the right gear unlike Geartronic which always felt like it was in the wrong gear or slow to change down/up. There is no MPG penalty with Powershift. I am now averaging 51MPG on mostly motorway journeys cruising at 65-70mph. When I'm off work and only doing short journeys it drops to low to mid 40s. To get that on a D3/4/5 with Geartronic you'll need to drive on a long straight road at 55, preferably downhill with a tail wind. They are thirsy but the 5-cyl diesel does have a unique if sometimes obtrusive note to it.

I'm surprised to hear of early clutch wear - they are wet clutches so should be good for 150k+ miles.

Neither is it true that Volvo have dropped Powershift - it's available on V60/S60/XC60 with the Ford Ecoboost petrol engines.
I should have said "dropped" in combination with the diesels... Afaik the same goes for Ford with the 2.0 Duratorq/TDCI

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 18:45   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post

and the d3 in the C30 ,
No problems with uk Powershift boxes yet , they do have 2 large clutches running in oil and comprehensive overheating protection , so what's actualy going wrong in Germany? Fabulous gearbox so far ...
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 18:48   #7
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
and the d3 in the C30 ,
No problems with uk Powershift boxes yet , they do have 2 large clutches running in oil and comprehensive overheating protection , so what's actualy going wrong in Germany? Fabulous gearbox so far ...
I have no idea... May be the Autobahns?

VW has tonnes of issues with DSG boxes here. And I wouldn't be surprised, if it was all to do with the Autobahns with high speeds...