Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V70 D3 2016 Steering wheel noise

Views : 688

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2018, 20:44   #1
Jaxione

Default Volvo V70 D3 2016 Steering wheel noise

Hey guys!

I am new to the forum. I recently bought a very nice Volvo V70 D3 from 2016. I am very pleased so far but I got a annoying sound from the steering wheel when I turn it. It only seem to happen when its "cold" outside. 15 degrees celsius and below. I will post a video with the noise so you can hear it. I have had it looked at by Volvo mechanics 3 times but they cant seem to fix it. Anyone who can guess what it is? Its slowly driving me nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=WjS3TPgEk2Y

Really appreciate the help.

Br J
Jaxione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 21:16   #2
seanc

I can't quite hear the sound where I am right now, does it sounds like a sort of ratchet/rubbing sound as the wheel turns during slow manoeuvres?

My 2011 S80 does this when it's cold like it is now - Volvo couldn't find it either, but I did only ask them once.
I think I read something once that there is a rubber bushing in the steering column assembly somewhere and that's what makes the noise when it's cold. If you're having the problem on a 2016 car, I don't feel hopeful that there's a permanent fix.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 21:30   #3
Jaxione

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I can't quite hear the sound where I am right now, does it sounds like a sort of ratchet/rubbing sound as the wheel turns during slow manoeuvres?

My 2011 S80 does this when it's cold like it is now - Volvo couldn't find it either, but I did only ask them once.
I think I read something once that there is a rubber bushing in the steering column assembly somewhere and that's what makes the noise when it's cold. If you're having the problem on a 2016 car, I don't feel hopeful that there's a permanent fix.
Thanks alot for the reply. Yes thats the sound, as you say you must be in a quiet place to hear it properly on my video. Its So annoying and they cant seem to find the problem. They greased the steering column and took off the steering wheel and airbag and everything but its still the same
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 02:38   #4
37 RUBY
Master Member

Default ...I have the same issue.

I recently posted this https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286990

Same issue I believe. I suspect the clock Spring in the steering angle sensor job thing.

I could have sworn there was listed somewhere on the web a technical service bulletin for an XC90 suffering the same issue but cannot find it.

Mines booked in next week.

Will let you know how I get on.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 10:13   #5
Jaxione

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
I recently posted this https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286990

Same issue I believe. I suspect the clock Spring in the steering angle sensor job thing.

I could have sworn there was listed somewhere on the web a technical service bulletin for an XC90 suffering the same issue but cannot find it.

Mines booked in next week.

Will let you know how I get on.
Thanks for the reply. Any possibility you could record the noise so I can hear it? Trying to convince the mechanic it is the clock spring but he says he must be sure it really is the clock spring that makes the noise. Its quiet expensive it seems.
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 20:12   #6
37 RUBY
Master Member

I cannot provide you with an audio or video clip but I'll try to describe it.

When turning the steering wheel lock to lock there was a sound like a creaking door. It only occurred when turning past 90deg and was worse when the cabin temperature was low.

I used a mechanics stethoscope and pinpointed the noise to being in/under the steering wheel centre.

Mechanic agreed and today I got the car back minus the noise with a new clock Spring steering angle sensor job thing fitted. Covered by the Volvo extended warranty.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 09:35   #7
Jaxione

Quote:
I cannot provide you with an audio or video clip but I'll try to describe it.

When turning the steering wheel lock to lock there was a sound like a creaking door. It only occurred when turning past 90deg and was worse when the cabin temperature was low.

I used a mechanics stethoscope and pinpointed the noise to being in/under the steering wheel centre.

Mechanic agreed and today I got the car back minus the noise with a new clock Spring steering angle sensor job thing fitted. Covered by the Volvo extended warranty.
So if I understand your post correct you no longer have the noise after they changed the clock spring?

Br J
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 10:31   #8
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
today I got the car back minus the noise.
Yes replacing the clock Spring ( steering angle sensor) did cure it.