Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo PV444 wins 1957 Petit Lemans at Lime Rock!

Views : 85355

Replies : 281

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 10:08   #81
arcturus
arcturus

I think that you need to leave things as they are to allow for engine vibration and movement. There is a purpose made rubber gaiter for this
http://www.vp-autoparts.com/main.asp...le&artno=96588
http://www.vp-autoparts.com/main.asp...e&artno=659493
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 13:53   #82
blueosprey90
Master Member

I had one of those rubber gaiters sitting on top of the whole "assembly".

I think that my transmission "under seal" left much to be desired judging from the oil slick on the bottom of the tunnel carpet.

I'll start up the engine and assess the transmission's vibration, then fabricate a cover for that gaping hole. I'm thinking of cutting a "seal" out of neoprene sheet material and pop riveting it in place to seal up the final gap.

I'm certainly not reinstalling that oil soaked rag.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 18:55   #83
arcturus
arcturus

First thing to do is find out where the oil on the rag is coming from
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 19:24   #84
blueosprey90
Master Member

"find out where the oil on the rag is coming from"

Easy for you to say, basking in the sun, while I'm on my back under the car in near freezing weather trying to scrape 60 years of grease and grime off of every surface.

I can probably say for sure that oil looks to be leaking from every seal and orifice that might exist.

Is there an oil fill or an oil dipstick on the transmission? If so, I might be able to guesstimate the rate of leakage from that device.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 23:03   #85
Army
marches on his stomach

The gearbox has a fill plug on the side about half way up (ish) - the drain is underneath. It is a fill to spill type affair / fill until spill which ever way you wish to look at it. The thing in your picture looks like a modified bit that was once the / a reverse selector switch for the reversing light.

At a guess I'd expect all that extra rag wrapped around the gearbox to be an anti-noise attempt.

The removable transmission tunnel isn't an original feature - that's a modification - usually done to make space for an overdrive.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 03:55   #86
blueosprey90
Master Member

A mystery indeed. The transmission is marked as an M3, but it is clearly a 4 speed with no 1st gear syncromesh. The edge of the transmission cover seems to "marry to" the tunnel pretty well. But the cover looks like it was pounded from the underside to clear a transmission that extended several inches further to the rear. The entire tunnel appears welded in place, but looks to be original.

If not for sound, the rag was probably put there to block out heat/cold and fumes. The tune on the car was horrible when I acquired it and from what I could see of carbon buildup on the pistons through the spark plug holes, had probably been out of tune for years. Doesn't give off much in the way of fumes now that I have worked over the tuning.

Army, my three point retractable seat belts came in and the reel part is quite large - one might say huge. Do you think one might be able to mount that piece behind the cross member that supports the rear seat. And have the belt come up through the rear seat armrest area? I haven't yet gotten to the point where I can pop that rear seat out to examine. Appreciate any insight you might be able to provide.
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 06:08   #87
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
A mystery indeed. The transmission is marked as an M3, but it is clearly a 4 speed with no 1st gear syncromesh. The edge of the transmission cover seems to "marry to" the tunnel pretty well. But the cover looks like it was pounded from the underside to clear a transmission that extended several inches further to the rear. The entire tunnel appears welded in place, but looks to be original.

If not for sound, the rag was probably put there to block out heat/cold and fumes. The tune on the car was horrible when I acquired it and from what I could see of carbon buildup on the pistons through the spark plug holes, had probably been out of tune for years. Doesn't give off much in the way of fumes now that I have worked over the tuning.

Army, my three point retractable seat belts came in and the reel part is quite large - one might say huge. Do you think one might be able to mount that piece behind the cross member that supports the rear seat. And have the belt come up through the rear seat armrest area? I haven't yet gotten to the point where I can pop that rear seat out to examine. Appreciate any insight you might be able to provide.
The overdrive is (normally) a unit that fits on the rear end of the transmission.

I'm fairly sure that you can find stamped lettering and numbers on the gearbox that will confirm that it is an M40 - I found them on mine in the end. I'm having a bit of a brain fart and can't remember exactly where but I think I remember that they were not visible from underneath. They were on a machined edge of the casting somewhere. I'll look later on at mine today...

...as for fumes - have you looked at the crankcase breathing system yet?

####

Seat belts:-

There needs to be a straight line between the reel and the top swivel mount on the (upper part of the) B pillar. In principle you could mount the reel on the skew so the belt is directed in a straight line to the mount. However most reels are designed to be in a horizontal orientation with the belt coming out vertically - you'd have to check with the manufacturer for their safety advice (I'm guessing the answer will be don't fit at an angle).

Space-wise the rear seat fits snugly up against the side panels. There's not much space behind these panels. The lightweight metal work behind the panels could be adjusted but I think it is probably best to consider cutting into the under rear seat bulkhead section to make space for the reels like someone did on my car.

EDIT:-

Found some pictures of the ID tag on my M40

I remembered it all rather incorrectly (!). As you can see there's a tag on the underside close to where the speedo cable fits

Last edited by Army; Nov 3rd, 2018 at 06:38. Reason: Correct and added pictures
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 14:00   #88
blueosprey90
Master Member

Thank's Army. I thought you had been unhappy with the cut outs in the rear seat bulkhead.

I may just forgo the inertial reel three point seat belts and use 2 point lap belts. Might almost be easier to install a removeable harness bar between the B Pillars for shoulder straps.

The chassis plate identifies the car as P-44408-1957. According to this site, the "8" signifies a 4 speed transmission.

https://vlvworld.com/indexframe.html?VIN/VIN-60.htm

The transmission plate itself is marked:

Type – Det Nr – Tillv Nr
M3 254160 – 1450
Marked #656552 on top
Kobing Sweeden on driver's side.
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 14:43   #89
Derek UK
VOC Member

First, we have to work out which gearbox you have. If it has X shaped ribs cast into the sides of the gearbox casing it is a later M3/M4/M40 box. You can see part of those on Army's box. The fact that the tail casting of the box is painted green may make it part of the original 1957 box. The "filler" is, in fact, an air venting nipple, as Volvo calls it.

The screwed on metal cover is original to the car and worth keeping. As George says and gives links to, the gear lever gaiter is available. It has a thick felt lining to act as a sound deadener. Your felt might be missing. That mess of rags may help block sound and fumes but it could also cause the gear lever to not hold its place and so jump out of gear.

You probably told us what the current spec was for your engine and gearbox when you first started the thread but could you remind us of that? What is different from the original 1957 444 spec.

If you'd like them I can send you via a file sharing site a comprehensive pack which includes all of the PV parts lists and Green Book workshop manuals along with PV hand books. These cover yours plus earlier and later models. If interested PM me your email address.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 16:12   #90
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Thank's Army. I thought you had been unhappy with the cut outs in the rear seat bulkhead.

I'm happy now I've made up little boxes that close off the box section again and give the structure a bit more rigidity

Quote:

I may just forgo the inertial reel three point seat belts and use 2 point lap belts. Might almost be easier to install a removeable harness bar between the B Pillars for shoulder straps.

I think that's a very good idea - I didn't want to suggest it myself cos you've just bought the reels but seriously when racing you'll be needing a better system so why play about with the reels?

Quote:

The chassis plate identifies the car as P-44408-1957. According to this site, the "8" signifies a 4 speed transmission.

https://vlvworld.com/indexframe.html?VIN/VIN-60.htm

The transmission plate itself is marked:

Type – Det Nr – Tillv Nr
M3 254160 – 1450
Marked #656552 on top
Kobing Sweeden on driver's side.
According to this site =>

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...o-transmission

The part number 254160 is for an M4 gearbox

That is indeed a 4 speed beauty

http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/pv/specifications/

Should be the original one

Though with the tunnel modifications I guess there was a M41 (i.e. M40 with over drive) fitted at one point in the past.