Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cruise Control & Brake Light Switches

Views : 835

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2020, 17:06   #1
bob12
bob12

Default Cruise Control & Brake Light Switches

I have one final niggle to fix on my March 98 V70 CD T5 Auto before putting it back on the road. The all the brake lights across the back end are on permanently.

I am assuming it's a faulty brake light switch or the adjustment is no longer quite right. I found an excellent YouTube video showing how to remove and replace the brake light switch on the brake pedal. Simple I thought although in a most awkward place to get at!

However, on dropping the lower footwell cover and getting a large mirror into place I found that there is another switch fitted to the brake light switch bracket in a separate 'hole' in the bracket but on top and completely obscuring the brake light switch!! There is no way as far as I can see how to remove/adjust the brake light without removing the other switch.

Then thinking about it and the fact it has a vacuum line attached to it, as well as a couple of wires, I concluded it's the cruise control switch (something I currently know nothing about!!). I verified this with a quick look on the internet. Of course Haynes mentions it in passing but there is no detail whatsoever ... all very helpful.

The switch is slightly different in overall design to the brake light switch.

Can anyone assist me with some advice how to remove the cruise control switch without breaking it (the holding tabs) and, how set it up again if that is necessary.

Sorry, the attached pics are not too clear (They won't upload so will do a separate post!!)

Cheers, Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 17:27   #2
bob12
bob12

No pics currently as upload/access still forbidden!! I have had this before. It's a problem with the VOC server feeling fagile!! Bob
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 23:44   #3
bob12
bob12

Well, it finally worked on my phone! But, as no responses doesn't look like anyone one knows the answer. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200920_153602_resized.jpg (212.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20200920_153904_resized.jpg (199.9 KB, 20 views)
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 09:06   #4
turboboy
Master Member

Default Brake Light Switch

I have exactly the same car as you (including year) and did this job a while ago, but for the life of me I can only remember having trouble with the brake switch, which my son eventually did for me.

From your picture it appears that the vacuum switch is held by plastic tabs that require squeezing together to allow it to be pulled out backwards?

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turboboy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 12:24   #5
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboboy View Post
I have exactly the same car as you (including year) and did this job a while ago, but for the life of me I can only remember having trouble with the brake switch, which my son eventually did for me.

From your picture it appears that the vacuum switch is held by plastic tabs that require squeezing together to allow it to be pulled out backwards?
I can't find the answer anywhere on the web. Amazing. I am also surprised no one seems to know the answer. I shall just have to get down and pull off the vacuum pipe and wiring connectors and fiddle with it without hopefully not breaking anything.

Bob
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 13:11   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you can get some fingers on the brake switch you should be able to tell if the plunger is moving. A second pair of eyes on the rear lights or done in the dark is useful. YouTube has some results if you search V70 brake light switch. All look to be LHD and I've not viewed any. Worth a look if you haven't. Squeeze and pull with these plugs is a knack that's not acquired by someone who does it only a few times in their lifetime so you'll just have to persevere.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 19:40   #7
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
If you can get some fingers on the brake switch you should be able to tell if the plunger is moving. A second pair of eyes on the rear lights or done in the dark is useful. YouTube has some results if you search V70 brake light switch. All look to be LHD and I've not viewed any. Worth a look if you haven't. Squeeze and pull with these plugs is a knack that's not acquired by someone who does it only a few times in their lifetime so you'll just have to persevere.
Thanks - my problem is not the brake stop light switch as I have all the info I need on that but, getting the wretched cruise control switch out of the way/removed as it totally blocks the brake light switch and the plunger. It's also of a different design (see attached) to the stop light switch.

I guess I will just have to detach the electrical connectors, pull the vacuum pipe and see where I get to after that!

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l640.jpg (10.0 KB, 9 views)
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 00:07   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

It looks as if the switch is in 2 halves and they are held together by "lumps", probably sloped, which click into the windows in the rectangular tabs. A little screw driver should be able to release them. I can't make out how it attached to the bracket but that might be more obvious after you have it in two halves.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 16:02   #9
stevepcar
Steve

Default Brake Light removal

Hi I had the same problem, the cruise control switch is in the way on my 96 850 T5. Haynes don't even mention it, when explaining how to remove the BLS. But I did it without interfering with the cruise control. You can just get a smal flat blade screwdriver to press in the bottom tab on the BLS, then pull the switch up & the tab will release from the bracket. Then making sure that it does not slip back in, using the same driver, press the top tab in & the whole switch comes out. My car had failed on the lights not working & I could not get a replacement before the 10-days to get it back for a half price re-test. So I disconnected the wiring plug & cleaned the contacts with a small piece of emery cloth. Then plug the wiring back in without putting the switch back into the bracket, switch on the ignition & the brake lights should come on. If you press the switch plunger back in they should go out. If they do not come on or go off, then you need a new switch. I have one on order in case mine stops working again. £32.50 from Caffyns Volvo in Eastbourne, original Volvo part.
Good luck
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevepcar For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 19:20   #10
bob12
bob12

Steve - thanks very much for that analysis. I shall read and digest but, looks good.

Great to have someone with practical experience of the little design niggle. The remedy for which is so well explained (not, as usual!!) in Haynes!!!

As I am under no pressure to get the problem fixed and, currently with heavy rain most days; as well as no cover for the car, I haven't bothered to do anything more at the moment which is why your comment is so welcome.

I have no doubt that leaving the car for a few months without battery will of itself create further electrical etc problems for me. Hey, ho - I only bought it exceptionally cheaply to play with as it ran so beautifully but, if I get frustrated with it the writing will be on its epitaph!!

I shall give an update when the job is finally done. Meantime, thank goodness for my old 31 year old 745 stalwart which just goes on and on without problem other than routine maintenance, although it has just been gifted some 'new' Nivomats which have noticeably refreshed the back end ride.

Bob