Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electronic ignition with original coil

Views : 1332

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2020, 05:49   #11
c1800
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanC View Post
Ron,

My car is an early '67 Swedish market 121 B18A 4 speed. Interestingly it has both the steering lock and older style ignition with the hidden positive on the coil. I don't know if it was an option chosen by the original buyer or was a production anomaly. It spent most of its life in Karlstad which wasn't a hotbed of car theft as far as I know...
Possibly a "hybrid" , with parts added, interchanged, over the years. Unless you've had it since new?
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 10:44   #12
AidanC

I asked about it earlier on the Swedish Amazon Club Facebook page. Some people said that it was a factory option and one person said that there was an aftermarket modification as there was an insurance discount for cars with that combination. It seems that mine isn’t unique in Swedish domestic market terms as a couple of people said that their car is the same.

Ron: I’ll get pics later today
AidanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 15:57   #13
AidanC

Its too late to edit my post above but the general consensus with the Swedish Amazon Club is that it was an aftermarket dealer fit accessory and not a factory option. That makes sense as there's a certain redundancy with the combination.

Here are two pics, not great quality so let me know if you need me to try again. The ignition switch shot is especially poor.

There's a blank on the dash where the ignition key would originally have been. Behind it is the feed through the armoured cable and three terminals at approx 9 o' clock, 12 o' clock and 3 o' clock positions with the armoured cable at 6 o' clock.

9 o' clock has one heavy cable which goes to 15 (red switched positive on the ignition switch)

12 o' clock has one connection which has been cut off, leaving a small stump of black wire

3 o' clock has two wires, one heavy red that goes into the loom and disappears and one black wire which feeds the cigarette lighter. Do you need any more info on the heavy red wire?

The ignition switch is as Simon's diagrams except that 15 is fed from the blanked off switch and 75 was unused but I've wired the radio to it.

Let me know if you need any more info or if you reckon that I've got any of the above wrong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blanked ignition switch.jpg (295.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ignition switch.jpg (179.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by AidanC; Sep 27th, 2020 at 16:19.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 16:54   #14
simonvolvo

“Simon” referred to in Ron’s write-up chiming in here. (That pic is mine - Ron used it with my permission of course.)
It seems to me that no drilling of your coil is going to be required because in your (hybrid) configuration the inside (dashboard) end of the armoured cable should be readily accessible for electrical connection.
Edit: "readily accessible" - i.e. via the terminal post of the blanked off switch which has the thick red wire connected to it.

Last edited by simonvolvo; Sep 27th, 2020 at 17:19.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 18:32   #15
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Simon; Thanks for chiming in...even if the assembly is installed as normal, unmodified, but with the dashboard Ign Key opening blocked, that still leaves the question for me because the node in the old switch which needs Ign power from the other Ign Sw is still buried and (directly) inaccessible from the rear of switch...I'm very curious to know, understand and document this configuration.

Edit: Aidan; I see that you had posted pix...so after studying it for a moment, all is clear to me...! Before mounting and blocking off key-side access, dashboard mounted switch was placed in the Ign On Pos 3 position (which connects Ign Power Term 54, to Ign Coil, see graphic). (Batt) power does not come in (as normally) on Term 30 in this configuration, instead Ign Power comes in on Term 54 from the St Col mounted Ign Sw...simple, and rather as I expected, because no more is necessary!

If you could take a couple more pix from different angle, where all terminals are visible, for my documentation, that would be helpful. TNX!

Edit 2: Aidan; ...and to answer you original question of where to power an Elec Ign Module from, either end of this Red Ign Power wire would be the answer...Term 30 on the dashboard Ign Sw would probably be most easily accessible.

Cheers from Connecticut!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Sep 27th, 2020 at 20:37.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 20:23   #16
simonvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
...The dashboard mounted switch was placed in the Ign On Pos 3 position...
I am not familiar with the armoured cable ignition switch, but yes I agree.

@Aidan: (Sorry, I failed to notice that there are in fact two terminal posts - in your blanked off ignition switch - which have a red wire connected to them.) If you use an ohm-meter (or continuity meter) you will, I think, find that there is electrical continuity between those two terminals. And that point will be in electrical continuity with the inside end of the armoured cable. So, again, no drilling of the coil would, I think, be required.

The cut-off wire shown in your pic (12 o’ clock position) is, I think, connected to terminal 50 of the ignition switch (see Ron’s diagram). It would normally have gone to the starter solenoid . In your hybrid configuration the wire that goes to the starter solenoid will now come from the other ignition switch, i.e. the one that sits on the end of the barrel of the steering lock.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 22:01   #17
AidanC

Thanks everyone for all your help, especially Ron and Simon who have taught me a lot about my car's setup.

Simon: you're correct, there's continuity between the two terminals with the red wires.

Ron: the steering shroud is preventing me from taking clearer photos of the ignition switch wiring but I'm planning to replace or at least overhaul the indicator switch over the next few weeks. If you don't mind waiting, I'll take some proper pictures then.

On a side note, I noticed in my first pic that I had far too many keys on my keyring and that it was wearing the plastic top of the ignition key. I took off the unncessary ones and noticed that one of the unused keys is a Neiman - presumably the original ignition key. I've had the car for twenty years and only noticed this now..... It supports the idea that the ignition lock was aftermarket.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 18:13   #18
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Aidan;

Thanks for the kind words!

I have collected what I could put together on this unique and somewhat rare configuration in a Tech Note. See: https://www.sw-em.com/122_ignition_s...tion_notes.htm

It turns out I have a clean pic (without shroud) from Simon, of the terminal end of the St Col located Ign Sw, which I included, so I wont need that any more immediately (but I will gladly accept any pix for possible future needs!).

Forum;

I invite any Swedish speakers who can help with the translation the works Installation Instructions.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post: