Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Registering a French car in the UK…any tips?

Views : 866

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2021, 19:43   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default Registering a French car in the UK…any tips?

My wife has been offered a tidy 1989 740 estate for a very good price, and, understandably, wants to buy it.

Just one hitch…the car belongs to a French chap who brought it into the UK when he moved here earlier in the year, drove it for the regulation period that you’re allowed to whilst moving his belongings from France to the UK, then parked it.

As such, it has all the relevant French registration documentation (Carte Grise etc) and is still on French plates.

From what I can deduce online, registering an already imported car for UK plates and V5C seems relatively straightforward, but does anyone know of any potential pitfalls or issues we should be aware of?

Obviously the car is LHD, but my wife is the sort of person to whom this kind of thing appeals, so is unfazed by that!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 21:01   #2
volvo always
Premier Member

Cant think of any major issues when I did similar in 2012.

Returned to UK from ROI.

I insured it on it's vin number, booked and passed a UK MOT. then register for a new V5 and in my case DVLA re-issued the cars original UK reg plate. Fit new plate and tax/insure in normal way.

From France to UK, buy new/used RHD headlamp glass.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 22:46   #3
jasons

you'll need to import it, so 10% duty, then 20% vat on the duty and vehicle price, and possibly shipping/ferry costs, unless its over 30 years old then a reduced rate.

tbh, you'd be better off buying a UK reg car in france because they are very cheap, once french registered they are of little value outside the EU because of export/import fees.
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 22:48   #4
jasons

if its lhd it has a good value out here in france, to sell a french car it has to have a CT less than 6 months ago/old, but for export I guess just the GC, is it that cheap you want to do it?

Even a shed out here with a fresh CT is worth 1500euro
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 23:45   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sorry Phil, this is something i know little or nothing about - my first port of call would be as you've already done, look online but i'd probably also ring the DVLA as the car is already here and was parked after the regulation 6 months expired. You may find it needs an SVA test now because its original grace period expired or possibly just a new UK MoT. If he's officially imported it then he will have paid the taxes and presumably registered it.

Due to the lack of registration and the fact he simply parked it after 6 months, i'd smell a rat somewhere. You might be better off looking elsewhere for a LHD car that's had the donkey work of registering done if that's really your wifes thing. Chances are it wouldn't be much different in price..........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 00:52   #6
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
you'll need to import it, so 10% duty, then 20% vat on the duty and vehicle price, and possibly shipping/ferry costs, unless its over 30 years old then a reduced rate.

tbh, you'd be better off buying a UK reg car in france because they are very cheap, once french registered they are of little value outside the EU because of export/import fees.
Hi, I think you perhaps misunderstood my original post-we are in the UK and the car is already in the UK, and has been for several months, so I don’t need to import it-it’s being sold in the UK but still has French plates and registration, so if my wife was to buy it, she would need to re-register it with the DVLA and MOT it etc. It’s not something I know much about, other than the fact that the car is in the UK and due to it being 32yrs old it sidesteps the NOVA registration stuff and approval documentation.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 00:55   #7
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Sorry Phil, this is something i know little or nothing about - my first port of call would be as you've already done, look online but i'd probably also ring the DVLA as the car is already here and was parked after the regulation 6 months expired. You may find it needs an SVA test now because its original grace period expired or possibly just a new UK MoT. If he's officially imported it then he will have paid the taxes and presumably registered it.

Due to the lack of registration and the fact he simply parked it after 6 months, i'd smell a rat somewhere. You might be better off looking elsewhere for a LHD car that's had the donkey work of registering done if that's really your wifes thing. Chances are it wouldn't be much different in price..........
Thanks Dave-I think ringing the DVLA is an excellent idea as first port of call. I’ll enquire in the morning and report back!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 09:57   #8
jasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Hi, I think you perhaps misunderstood my original post-we are in the UK and the car is already in the UK, and has been for several months, so I don’t need to import it-it’s being sold in the UK but still has French plates and registration, so if my wife was to buy it, she would need to re-register it with the DVLA and MOT it etc. It’s not something I know much about, other than the fact that the car is in the UK and due to it being 32yrs old it sidesteps the NOVA registration stuff and approval documentation.
I've enough experiance of importing cars, but zero for anything that old, so I'm interested to know the correct method for customs clearance/nova because I have a 31 year old 480 coupe to bring in.

On a side note, a car can be in the UK for as long as you like prior to application for registration, I was told that by the DVLA in regards to japanese imports which I've done numerous of.

Because its over 10 years old you don't need an IVA test.
Just an MOT which they will do on the VIN number.

For the Jap imports form 384 was customs clearance although I always used the port agent but fr you I would email these guys who deal with customs clearance duties for imports because when you come to register it you will need the NOVA letter from these guys t prove that duty has been settled,

ecsm.nchcars@hmrc.gov.uk

Form 55-5 is what I'd use to register the imports, I'd send this off with the export certificate from Japan, although for you just the CG should be fine (when I register UK cars in France I need form 846a which is basically the equiv of the NOVA letter to prove duty has been settled, a CT/MOT and copy of V5/CG), CT/MOT & V5/CG, the french notify the DVLA that the car has been exported so I assume the DVLA will notify ANTS in a similar way.

There's lots of boxes on the first reg form, for you ignore anything relating to EU emmisions etc, you'll just need your name address VIN number CC amount of seats etc.

So my guess is it will be easy, MOT and a copy of customs clearance who you can email using email above.

I hope there may be something useful amidst my ramblings here lol

Please keep us updated as I have this old 480 to do similar with in a few weeks.

To add, there is no approval documentation needed because its over 10years old and therefore doesn't need an IVA.
I'm also hoping that over 30 years old sidesteps any duty, but I don't know if like tax exempt vehicles one still needs a letter from HMRC to send off that states they are happy with duty (even if zero) to register with 55-5

Last edited by jasons; Nov 1st, 2021 at 10:00.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 16:41   #9
Vintoni

I'm doing the opposite and currently trying to register my UK 940 estate here in France and it's a bloody nightmare.
Vintoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vintoni For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 18:26   #10
jasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintoni View Post
I'm doing the opposite and currently trying to register my UK 940 estate here in France and it's a bloody nightmare.
Is it built/registered before or after 01/96?

I'm going to try for my 75euro 940, 97 P because its easy enough to get a coc for it, but I wouldn't like to try for a pre 96 model.

I've had no issue with modern stuff, 2 others so far but both had coc's available