Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen: Water ingress on 60 models 2008 on

Views : 402220

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2023, 16:16   #111
redxc60

Oh. That's a lot of water ....

We've had our XC60 since new in late 2010. We've occasionally had condensation on the inside of the screen but assumed that was an aircon issue or short journeys not getting the cabin warmed up.

We hadn't used the car for a couple of weeks and this week we found an inch of water on the mat on the driver's side. I hadn't realised how thick the foam is under there! That's a lot of water!

Front and rear seats are in the same footwell which had a few inches of water. The water had also tracked over to the passenger side with only half inch of water when I pulled out the carpets.

I only have a single garage and it was raining so due to limited space I can confirm it is possible to remove the carpets without taking the seats out of the car. You don't need to remove the central armrest either, just remove the bolts that are visible below the storage box and cup holders.

I'll take pics of the process and create a how-to thread when I put it back together.

I can push the screen out by hand, I've attached a GIF but you might need to click on the thumbnail for it to play. I don't know how long its been like that but it could have been several years if it was the cause of previous damp. I do occasionally clear the channels on screen edges which might be why I hadn't had a flood earlier.

It's worrying that windscreen bonding wasn't subject to a recall when it's so fundamental to safety. I've emailed Volvo complaints to ask for a repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4966.jpg (84.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: gif screen.gif (335.2 KB, 18 views)
redxc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 08:43   #112
Jeremy P

Default XC60 and V60 screen leaks

The test is to stand outside, reach in and push the top edge of the windscreen outwards and if it’s unbonded you can actually see it move a mm or two. Having experienced it with my wife’s XC60, I checked my V60 when I was buying it, and it was fine, but sure enough once it was about 6-7 years old it failed. The solution for both was removal and refit, and that resolved it. Volvo UK did give me some vouchers in the case of the V60.
Jeremy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 15:09   #113
Ruxpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxc60 View Post
Oh. That's a lot of water ....

We've had our XC60 since new in late 2010. We've occasionally had condensation on the inside of the screen but assumed that was an aircon issue or short journeys not getting the cabin warmed up.

We hadn't used the car for a couple of weeks and this week we found an inch of water on the mat on the driver's side. I hadn't realised how thick the foam is under there! That's a lot of water!

Front and rear seats are in the same footwell which had a few inches of water. The water had also tracked over to the passenger side with only half inch of water when I pulled out the carpets.

I only have a single garage and it was raining so due to limited space I can confirm it is possible to remove the carpets without taking the seats out of the car. You don't need to remove the central armrest either, just remove the bolts that are visible below the storage box and cup holders.

I'll take pics of the process and create a how-to thread when I put it back together.

I can push the screen out by hand, I've attached a GIF but you might need to click on the thumbnail for it to play. I don't know how long its been like that but it could have been several years if it was the cause of previous damp. I do occasionally clear the channels on screen edges which might be why I hadn't had a flood earlier.

It's worrying that windscreen bonding wasn't subject to a recall when it's so fundamental to safety. I've emailed Volvo complaints to ask for a repair.
Did you ever get anywhere with Volvo complaints?
Ruxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 19:41   #114
Neoinwales

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
This topic is to log users who have issues with the above fault where the screen and bond are not correctly adhered to the vehicle bodywork

Please see the reference topic on water ingress Here.

So if you have had or are having these issues please post model, year, when acquired, servicing, and whether VCUK has been approached for recompense and what that outcome was.
My XC90 also has windscreen leaks.
Neoinwales is offline   Reply With Quote