Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2012 D2 lack of power

Views : 410

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2019, 22:27   #1
v4vlv

Default S40 2012 D2 lack of power

As the title states, the car lost almost all of its power and MIL went bright. A quick DTC check with Vida revealed the following error codes. I was aware about the injector's offset learning at max limit error code but not about the turbocharger. This is a new one and probably that's why the MIL is on.
What does this message actually means? Who is this sensor "A" and where is located?
Can you please point me to the right direction?
Attached Images
File Type: png DTC_v4vlv.png (5.4 KB, 32 views)
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 15:48   #2
v4vlv

No one?
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 11:48   #3
Petey80
Premier Member

Here is some further info on the fault code

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-cheryl-knight

https://www.obd-codes.com/p2566

I'd say this might be a good starting point;

"Inspect all turbo intake and intercooler hoses for leaks, cracks, and general tightness."

The plug itself, going off the obd-codes web page should be near the turbo.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 19:42   #4
v4vlv

OK, this is going to be long and in detail. I apologize.

Seven days now mostly I’m googling and studying (thanks Petey80 for your suggestions) and also working under the hood.
Few days before I began to dismantling things, the MIL went off and stayed off without me drive the car. That occurred during the ECM data scan and readings in order to collect information. It was just run at idle with a few increased revs from time to time.

Below are my findings under the hood and my actions until now:

1. Dried sticky oil at outer surface all over the pipe just before the throttle body. I cleaned it with carburetor cleaner and proceeded and disconnected it.

2. The throttle body was clean from carbon deposits but had a thin oily layer even spread at inner walls and surface. Disconnected it for cleaning and 3 out of 4 of the retaining bolts had the usual white oxidation sings except one that had oil in all of its grooves. (During the ECM data readings the throttle position appeared to be constant at 100% when engine was running regardless of rpm. See picture. Is that normal?)

3. I proceeded further at inlet pipe and disconnected the MAPT sensor. I found it covered with thin oil layer too. Carefully cleaned it with a rag. I would like to use a MAF cleaner spray to clean it with but I don’t know if that could damage the pressure sensor so I leaved it for now.

4. I went the other way and dismantling the air filter box. The air filter had one hell of dead summer’s bugs all over it. (PS. Three months ago at December 2018 went to dealer for the regular annually service plus timing belt change and its surroundings. It cost me 700€! Why I have a strong feeling that he didn’t change the air filter although I paid for it? And what else more, I wonder…). I have cleaned the air filter with a blower and planning to replace it with a new one.
5. The MAF sensor had a suspicious shiny surface. I cleaned it with MAF spray cleaner.

6. I proceeded and disconnected the hose between the air filter box and turbocharger’s input pipe. I found standing oil within it (2ml to 3ml. WTF!).
I disconnected the turbocharger’s input pipe and found oil trace from turbocharger inwards to outer lips (see photo). The compressor wheel has no free play in any direction and rotates smoothly and silently. I haven’t done anything further yet…

7. I removed and visually inspected the actuator turbine (see photo) (the name as per Vida, you can also called it, vacuum controlled valve, solenoid valve, turbo control valve, turbo boost valve, EGR valve sensor, pressure converter valve and any other name you might think off. Sorry for the frustration but that sh!t with the thousands names took me three days to seek it all over the web and Vida.)
Visually seems OK and clean, and so the surrounding hoses. I’m thinking to spray the ports with carburetor cleaner just in case of carbon built in. Is that OK?

8. At the bottom of the turbocharger, below the base where the actuator rod produces, there is an electrical plug and probably it is the turbo position sensor (see picture and correct me if I’m wrong).
Well the cable was fitted too close to the engine’s body, so the protective plastic spiral tube around the cables had been dried out and cut into a thousand pieces as soon as I touched it to unplug, leaving the cables exposed. However the inner cables do not look burned or dried.
Is it possible the heat from the surrounding environment over time to degrade the electrical contact between the sensor and the harness’s plug? Could that be the P2566 DTC code?

Thanks for your time.
Any kind help, guidance or ideas are most appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png Values_idle.png (4.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg TC_inlet_oil.JPG (195.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid_valve_e.jpg (325.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Turbo_position_sensor.JPG (271.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png values_1400rpm_e.png (7.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by v4vlv; Feb 23rd, 2019 at 19:44.
v4vlv is offline   Reply With Quote