Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water drips from interior light?

Views : 28536

Replies : 157

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2015, 12:14   #21
PEGE63
Master Member

Thanks, will report cause once its been in tomorrow.

V70 D5 (185) SE Sport, Geartronic, 58 MY08 4C. 133k
(before Avensis 55 95K, P97 945 LPT 2.3FK 113K and J92 945 2.0T 165K)
PEGE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 18:17   #22
PEGE63
Master Member

Final report - dropped car off this morning and told them to do the screen as I could see it being loose, mentioned 'squashy sound' in bulk head and was told issue with water trapped so told em to drill the holes to get rid of it (seen posts re this on forum before so was aware of it). Asked them to fix windscreen and a call back late pm confirmed that a LARGE portion of the top was not bonded properly and that it was now fixed. £200 less in my bank account but at least water should be kept on the OUTSIDE from now on.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice in this case. (whats next.....)

Old Apr 30th, 2015, 21:34   #23
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEGE63 View Post
Final report - dropped car off this morning and told them to do the screen as I could see it being loose, mentioned 'squashy sound' in bulk head and was told issue with water trapped so told em to drill the holes to get rid of it (seen posts re this on forum before so was aware of it). Asked them to fix windscreen and a call back late pm confirmed that a LARGE portion of the top was not bonded properly and that it was now fixed. £200 less in my bank account but at least water should be kept on the OUTSIDE from now on.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice in this case. (whats next.....)
Peter,

Ours cars are very similar, age, mileage etc and I understand there have been other Volvos where the bonding on the windscreen has failed so it might be more common than we think. Could be we have found a defect that might be across a particular "batch" of Volvos if they were all produced at the same time. The 10th number on my VIN No is "8" indicating MY of my car is 2008 although it was first registered in 2009.

Perhaps we should ask if any other V70 or XC70 etc owners have experienced problems with the windscreen of their cars leaking, it can't just be a coincidence can it?

I have done a search and so far on this Thread we have:
S60D5185 (V70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking - who started this thread)
Pierremcalpine (Windscreen leaking, his car is 2 years younger than ours, but he said that others had reported similar problems)
Aeron (XC70 MY '08 had a water leak but thought it was the shark's fin)
BLO8 (V70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking)
PEGE63 (V70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking)
GrantA (XC70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking)

On other similar Threads:
Davy Shearer (XC70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking)
Wilbydoughboy (XC60 Windscreen leaking)
H20 Volvo (V70 MY '12 Windscreen leaking)

If there are any others out there who have a car manufactured around 2008 and have experienced a windscreen leak do let us know. Also if anyone reading this has a V70 or XC70 manufactured around 2008 I suggest your windscreen bonding may not be as good as it should be.

Last edited by GrantA; Apr 30th, 2015 at 21:41.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 05:37   #24
BL08
VOC Member

Good detective work GrantA.

For the record - mine didn't leak, but there was a large section along the top which wasn't properly bonded. Nor have I suffered the water in the bulkhead issue - are they related perhaps?
Old May 1st, 2015, 09:46   #25
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL08 View Post
Good detective work GrantA.

For the record - mine didn't leak, but there was a large section along the top which wasn't properly bonded. Nor have I suffered the water in the bulkhead issue - are they related perhaps?
Sorry if I miss quoted you, I was looking through so many posts that referred to windscreen leaks and bonding not being 100% I assumed yours had leaked as well. I suggest having "a large section along the top which wasn't properly bonded" it would only have been a matter of time before yours did leak. I now wonder how many others are in the same position as you were - bonding on the windscreen incomplete or poor but not leaking............ yet.

Last edited by GrantA; May 1st, 2015 at 10:53.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 12:43   #26
Aeron

Default Leaking Windscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
Peter,

Ours cars are very similar, age, mileage etc and I understand there have been other Volvos where the bonding on the windscreen has failed so it might be more common than we think. Could be we have found a defect that might be across a particular "batch" of Volvos if they were all produced at the same time. The 10th number on my VIN No is "8" indicating MY of my car is 2008 although it was first registered in 2009.

Perhaps we should ask if any other V70 or XC70 etc owners have experienced problems with the windscreen of their cars leaking, it can't just be a coincidence can it?

I have done a search and so far on this Thread we have:
S60D5185 (V70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking - who started this thread)
Pierremcalpine (Windscreen leaking, his car is 2 years younger than ours, but he said that others had reported similar problems)
Aeron (XC70 MY '08 had a water leak but thought it was the shark's fin)
BLO8 (V70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking)
PEGE63 (V70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking)
GrantA (XC70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking)

On other similar Threads:
Davy Shearer (XC70 MY '08 Windscreen leaking)
Wilbydoughboy (XC60 Windscreen leaking)
H20 Volvo (V70 MY '12 Windscreen leaking)

If there are any others out there who have a car manufactured around 2008 and have experienced a windscreen leak do let us know. Also if anyone reading this has a V70 or XC70 manufactured around 2008 I suggest your windscreen bonding may not be as good as it should be.

GrantA, just to confirm, I haven't investigated my issue any further as the leak is very occasional and I assumed that the top of the windscreen was below the light cluster when parked facing down hill, but this may be deceiving as the roof lining doesn't give a clear view from inside to see where exactly the top of the screen is.

I therefore thought it may be the roof rails or shark fin but most of what I have read seems to refer to the windscreen and when I spoke to a main dealer member of staff, they said immediately that it was probably a leaking windscreen so it is obviously a common-ish issue.
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeron For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2015, 13:55   #27
PEGE63
Master Member

Got the car today and re-fit screen look fine. It was clearly loose and I reckon it has been loose for some time, reason for sudden leak was due to the slushy snow holding the water back allowing it time to seep in. I suppose it also could be a case of car sitting at a position to add a slight twist in the body leaving a bigger gap than normal, who knows.

Bulk head issue has been known in V70 plus other models too.

Old May 1st, 2015, 14:18   #28
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEGE63 View Post
Got the car today and re-fit screen look fine. It was clearly loose and I reckon it has been loose for some time, reason for sudden leak was due to the slushy snow holding the water back allowing it time to seep in. I suppose it also could be a case of car sitting at a position to add a slight twist in the body leaving a bigger gap than normal, who knows.

Bulk head issue has been known in V70 plus other models too.
Actually when I drive up onto my driveway my car twists as well so that could have been exacerbating the problem and making the windscreen twist in its frame.

Pity we can't use the "Freedom of Information Act" to quiz Volvo and see just how many cars are affected by leaking windscreen or windscreens where the bonding has failed.
Old May 1st, 2015, 16:51   #29
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

If this affects other models, which ones?

It could be a failure of the bond or, more likely, a failure of process when fitting the screens..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 22:13   #30
S60D5185

Mine has been dry since starting the thread, until the other day. There was water on the drivers mat the damp smell which caught my attention, on closer inspection the carpet was very wet under the mat and I noticed water on the bonnet release handle too? Incidentally I now have the 'swash of water' sound on sharp corners too, are there drainage channels somewhere that need unblocking?
S60D5185 is offline   Reply With Quote