Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800ES Rear Upper Inner Panel 682818

Views : 2055

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 22:36   #11
ITSv40
VOC Member

Impressive work indeed

Having had an 1800ES when new, I still drool when I see one and have never lost the love.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 11:51   #12
harpgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Impressive work indeed

Having had an 1800ES when new, I still drool when I see one and have never lost the love.
This one started life not far away from you in Kettering
harpgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 11:20   #13
harpgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post

I'm impressed with your level of commitment to cutting, bracing and welding on your ES restoration, you are a braver man than me! I note that we're not that far from each other and would love to come and see your project some time in the future?

Paul
That would be great. I have to admit I spend a great deal of time controlling the terror I feel at this extent of project.
Trying at the minute to work out how to make a repair piece for the LH side of the tailgate gutter. The bit I need seems to have a double curve and then a fold also on a curve.
Original outer was brazed in place at the top. I don't do brazing so not sure of my approach there, I have a friend I can consult and that will be my phone call following this post. I am also trying to work out the best order of attaching the parts including the lower valance in order to get best access for welding.
I'd best stop writing now or I'll scare myself out of it.
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 18:11   #14
cassell
Member since 1988

Have a look at the last video on this site, assembly of 1800ES body shells, it'll give you nightmares!

https://volvop1800club.se/svenska-vo...s-video-arkiv/
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 20:54   #15
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpgirl View Post
That would be great. I have to admit I spend a great deal of time controlling the terror I feel at this extent of project.
Trying at the minute to work out how to make a repair piece for the LH side of the tailgate gutter. The bit I need seems to have a double curve and then a fold also on a curve.
Have you ever heard of a tipping die / wheel?
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 13:32   #16
harpgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Have a look at the last video on this site, assembly of 1800ES body shells, it'll give you nightmares!

https://volvop1800club.se/svenska-vo...s-video-arkiv/
Probably less painful if you understand Swedish. You can just see the care and love in the way the bloke uses his hammer! Wonder what ever became of the original tooling including the presses for the panels.
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 13:51   #17
harpgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Have you ever heard of a tipping die / wheel?
Only just got as far as a hammer and dolly.
This learning curve is like the North Face of the Eiger.
Deciding if I should learn to braze as that is how the outer rear panel originally went on at the top and that will make quite a large gap for welding given how thin the metal is (based on my very limited experience of welding so I may be talking nonsense).
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 18:06   #18
cassell
Member since 1988

Ian,

If you could master brazing and lead loading, the spirits of those old blokes in the video would be really proud of you!

It shows how the ES was virtually a hand-built car, probably why corrosion was able to get such a hold in some areas? Knowing Volvo, I can imagine that some of those jigs and pressings still exist in some dark corner of an old Swedish facory somewhere, I'm told CVI automotive may have acquired some, who knows?

https://www.cvi-automotive.se/en
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 18:29   #19
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpgirl View Post
Only just got as far as a hammer and dolly.
This learning curve is like the North Face of the Eiger.
Deciding if I should learn to braze as that is how the outer rear panel originally went on at the top and that will make quite a large gap for welding given how thin the metal is (based on my very limited experience of welding so I may be talking nonsense).
I TIG weld very thin stuff - but if you're not up to it, it can be more of a hole making exercise. If you're planning to learn to weld I recommend leaving all MIG welding to one side until you've mastered MMA / stick welding. If you can do that nicely then it is time to start with the other stuff - and the chances are that you'll understand what's necessary and understand what works.

I think, however, if the car has been brazed together the best thing to do for the structure is to carry on with that method. Brazing strong joints means you need to have perfectly aligning panels. Rust holes need to be fixed on the panel before you braze the joints. You can't really use braze as a filler to the extent of filling up rust holes.

When it comes to hammering out your own panels that's another set of skills most people don't have. Being able to weld your way out of trouble, however, is a really important skill to panel making: Welding is the corner stone that every panel maker needs (preferably gas welding)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 11:28   #20
harpgirl

Already doing MIG so will continue that way where possible. Am now at the stage where I could do with the 2 measurements from you kind people to allow for correct placing of the upper inner panel. Please can someone give me the distance from the centre of the lip for the seal at the top of tailgate to the centre of the lip for the seal at the bottom above the lock catch. The second dimension is the same starting point to the edge of the lock catch.
This will save me exposing the rear glass to hazard before anything is in place. I will measure my floorboard for the reference distance at the bottom as I can't fit it with the (necessary) bracing in place.
Thank you in advance. Be assured all your helpful offerings are and have been gratefully received and allow me to make informed (whether I get it right or wrong) choices.