Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intending XC60 Owner

Views : 1291

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2019, 10:47   #1
bradams

Default Intending XC60 Owner

I am working on changing up from my V40 to a S/H XC60 (having previously owned an S60 and an S40 in the last 10 years, so I am versed in most things Volvo). I am still learning model variants but looking at a high spec auto D4 or D5, and years '14 - '16 (depending on mileage). My only obstacle at the moment is convincing my wife that the climb up to the passenger seat is worth it!

Seriously though, I am unsure which model to go for - I love (my Audi's) 4WD reassurance, but am concerned about the fuel consumption (after a very frugal V40).

Has anyone any thoughts or 'what to look out for' advice to offer?
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 11:02   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

The VEA (4 cylinder) engine is great, but do check all revisions to the EGR and cooler have been done.
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 11:31   #3
MacV50
Master Member

Obviously MPG depends on driving style, types of journey, load etc

I'm running a D4 AWD Auto R-Design Lux Nav with Polestar and currently doing around 28k per year. I'm getting between 39 and 40 mpg at the moment. This is mostly just me in the car on A roads. In the warmer months I was seeing around 42mpg

FWD will be more frugal but I like the security the AWD gives and the 5 pot engine note.

The one thing that isn't so good on the AWD cars is the 6 speed auto. Polestar helps to improve it but I believe the 8 speed on the FWD cars is much better

I came from a V50 Drive and like the additional height that the XC has but you're not looking down on folk like a Disco or Range Rover. It's not really a climb in but the sills are definitely wider than many other cars. Easiest thing would be to go and look at one with her to see what she thinks. One thing my wife likes is the memory seat so no faffing around adjusting seat and mirrors when she uses the car. I think that's standard in Lux spec
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacV50 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 11:34   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Have you considered a run out model XC90, much bigger luggage area, 7 seats, very reliable D5 engine and much more versatile. And as a runout model will be better equipped.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 12:25   #5
HDAV
Master Member

The AWD models are 2.4l even if badged D4 the FWD D4 is the later VEA unit. I have a FWD VEA manual and winter tyres make a big difference to grip the standard summer conti we’re useless in the lightest of snow.

Fuel economy will be poor compare to the V40 especially on an AWD auto...... mid 30’s I get mid 40’s (optimistic on board calculator) from my mine on winter tyres, in the summer on summers can be up to 48 average of doing lots of meat stints at 50...

The V60 is much better on fuel but a different car...

Later models all got nav privacy glass and some other options reversing sensors, winter pack I think, SE lux Nav is the top spec, the redesign models have a supposedly different chassis and a firmer ride. Redesign lux nav being the top spec but still plenty of options some of which are dealer for so can be added.

Personally I would look for a car with adaptive cruise and blind spot warning which wasn’t standard but part of a driver assistance pack.

Last edited by HDAV; Feb 10th, 2019 at 12:33.
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HDAV For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 01:46   #6
bradams

Thanks for your suggestions, folks. Food for thought.
I was aware of the 2.0L vs 2.4L comparison and the 6 vs 8 speed gearbox, so I'm edging towards maybe a FWD D4 and a set of winter tyres. On the other hand, if a dealer was to offer me a nice D5 with all the bells and whistles ..... I might have a problem!
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 09:08   #7
bradams

Do you know when exactly the 'redesign' / later version changed?
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 18:42   #8
Roland_F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradams View Post
Do you know when exactly the 'redesign' / later version changed?
The XC60 had a mild facelift in mid 2013 (in calendar terms). That's when it gained the DRLs in the front bumper.

A bit later, the FWD D4 went from being a 5 cylinder 2.0 to a 4 cylinder 2.0, the VEA.
Roland_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 12:59   #9
mbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradams View Post
Thanks for your suggestions, folks. Food for thought.
I was aware of the 2.0L vs 2.4L comparison and the 6 vs 8 speed gearbox, so I'm edging towards maybe a FWD D4 and a set of winter tyres. On the other hand, if a dealer was to offer me a nice D5 with all the bells and whistles ..... I might have a problem!
I bought our 2.0 D4 VEA auto 9 months ago. It's now nearly 5 years old with 53k on it. I've recently swapped out the wearing Contis for some Michelin Cross Climates. I'm thinking this is all I'll need. On greasy surfaces, the scrabbling for grip out of junctions has all but disappeared.

MPG wise, I can see an indicated 50+ on a 60mph commute to work, but generally sits at 44/45 driving at 70.

We've got a sunroof in ours, it really lifts the cabin. Also, I find the R Design seats are so comfortable too.

As a bonus, the VED is low for the D4 VEA, and even lower for the manual.
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 17:26   #10
tails

Default xc60

purchased a 2014 r design 2.4 switchable auto .
the last car i had was a Honda crv 2ltr petrol top spec,had it 5 years not a problem,
had the xc now 6 months,love it,the mrs likes it more than the Honda,comfort everything,all it misses is the parking cameras,but soon will be fitting after market kit of some kind.
the car around town a few months ago done around 34 plus,but now the cold weathers apperd its down to 28 ish but that only doing stop start short journeys ,ive taken it out and give it a good hammering b roads a roads love it plenty of power and a brilliant sound out the engine.fuel consumption can be around 40 plus.
we done Scotland and Ireland earlier on and found the car brilliant,even fuel wise.
to some the xc 60 r design up,get the top spec one,r design keep it serviced like all cars/bikes , its not as big and clumsy as a land rover etc nor as common as the like.
so far we love it.
watch this space.

Last edited by tails; Feb 12th, 2019 at 19:34. Reason: forgot last words.
tails is offline   Reply With Quote