Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF removal & Clean

Views : 1406

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2020, 13:44   #1
Sts40

Default DPF removal & Clean

So I thought I’d post my experience of my 1.6 DRIVe DPF Removal and clean.

Car went into limp mode last Friday, Sod’s law as it was booked for a DPF removal and clean on the following Monday. AA recovered me and it showed the dreaded P242F code (DPF Blocked, Ash Accumulation). AA confirmed a high DPF pressure and the code wouldn’t reset. Where I had booked was too far to be recovered to so got recovered to home.

Volvo wanted £800 to replace parts and labour and Kwik-fit weren’t interested but said they would only use dealer parts if they had been!!!

Sunday set about removing the DPF myself. Interesting experience, the DPY itself has 5 10mm bolts hold the heat sink on, under that, one 15mm clamp bolt to the turbo, 2 x 10mm bolts bracketing the DPF to the engine and u dear the car 2 x 15mm bolts connecting DPF to the exhaust. This was the easy part....!

The fiddly bit was removing the Radiator Fan Cover, this on a focus just unclips at the bottom, then lifts up, moves to the engine and drops out underneath, on the Volvo it’s more fiddly as there is an oil hose on the top left and a bracket for the air box to the right that blocks this process. Remove the air box bracket, and the oil hose requires you to bend the plastic Fan assembly. Took an hour to remove, 10 minutes once we’d worked it out to refit.

3 hours in total to remove the DPF, 1 hour to refit it all. You will need to then go to a garage and get the code reset on a diagnostic which cost me £30.

DPF a clean was £102.

DPF a clean before read 6900 Kpa. Restored to 99% of original flow.

So now code is cleared, car is a dream. MPG combined before was 49mpg... now after a couple of days and about 150 miles (I haven’t reset the MPG it’s up to 59.1mpg and going up consistently combined driving).

DPF a was cleaned in less than an hour by these guys....

http://www.dpfcleaned.co.uk/index.html

They do the removal and clean for about £230 takes about 2 ½ hours... based by stanstead airport.

Will get my DPF cleaned now every 50k miles or so...

Last edited by Sts40; Jul 29th, 2020 at 13:45. Reason: Typo
Sts40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sts40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 04:26   #2
daniel84uk

This is great post. Thanks.

Ive been telling people forever you can flush the ash out instead of wasting money replacing with a lower quality non oem on. Most dont even realise ash accumulates.

Ill save this post for future reference. Saves me constantly explaining!

When was the reading 6900 Kpa taken? bit confused by the sentence. Thanks.
daniel84uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 11:48   #3
Sts40

So the AA read the DPF pressure at the road side when it was idling to be 36PSI (248 Kpa) they reckoned it should have been below 12PSI.

The guys at the DPF clean recorded the 6900Kpa before cleaning on their machine.

The difference this week in the car is insane. The fuel economy combined is now just above 60mpg and the torque is amazing. The car is quieter and smoother to drive. I’ll definitely get it flushed every few years for the money, it will repay on fuel economy. Previously I was lucky to get 50mpg!
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 00:57   #4
daniel84uk

I see you have modified it to 148bhp? what method did you use? Im looking to increase the power a tad, its a bit lacking.
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 09:34   #5
Sts40

I used a tuning company who provided a remap. The car drives so well now, power delivery is perfect. I”m changing up anywhere between 1200-1400rpm where as before it was nearer 2000rpm.

Car has great torque now, so fewer changes down from 5th on hills etc...

Guy I used is Dave at Flash Re-Mapping, based in Kent, Sidcup way.

https://flashremapping.co.uk/
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 01:31   #6
daniel84uk

Cheer for the info.

My car now sounds the same as yours was before. Mine also has a tiny annoying dead spot on start of throttle, also find i do have to change gears more than i was expecting to, i also change up near 2k. It all just seems a bit 'uneven' with its power delivery feel im either im revving too much or two little grr, i seem to always be between gears.

There is nothing majorly wrong, i get 46mpg around town 30mph roads with hills. around 80mpg at 65 on motorway, they seem reasonable. I need to fire up vida and do some live reading. It might be all in my head lol. Its my second car, the first a 1litre yaris, which was more fun to drive, but very uncomfortable.

Thanks again.

Last edited by daniel84uk; Aug 2nd, 2020 at 01:45.