Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Still getting a thunk when going downhill - transmission?

Views : 1476

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 29th, 2020, 08:42   #21
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjarmin View Post
Ooops seem to have hit a snag. The drain plug is horizontal and not vertical as in the youtube video above!

How many gears does your car have, 5 or 6?

Yours should be a six speed box in which case the combined drain / level plug is exactly as per the video that I posted ie it is on the BOTTOM of the gearbox and will have the little level torx in the middle.

If, it's the earlier 5 speed box that is indeed horizontal.

Your car is far too new for the 5 speed box though.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Feb 29th, 2020 at 08:44.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 13:02   #22
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Do you mean it's on the top of the box, looking down on to it?
Goddamit, why was i even thinking about the fill plug, i have the job on the brain, its all ive done for the past week or so lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 12:14   #23
drjarmin

Trawled through Google, forums and Vida Dice to see how to flush the transmission fluid and I can't find any instructions on how to do it with this model of XC90. I can't find the level torx on the bottom of the gearbox or an easy way to add back the fluid (other than perhaps using the dipstick tube but this isn't easy to get to even with the air filter removed.

I did manage to confirm in Vida Dice it requires the JWS3309 though so that is a start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 1.jpg (72.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Image 2.jpg (54.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Image 3.jpg (98.9 KB, 10 views)
drjarmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 13:08   #24
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Again, how many gears has your car got?

That looks like the drain plug on a five speed transmission in photo 2 .

Open the bonnet, look down to the right between the gearbox and the radiator and see if you can see a bright yellow dipstick.

Look carefully as it is easy to miss between pipework.

Yes you have it visible in photo 3

I've just re read your last post.

If you have a dipstick tube it must be a 5 speed transmission and you fill it with fresh fluid by that.

Please confirm how many gears and colour of dipstick.

This is how to do a flush if you have a dipstick.

Ignore all talk of inline filters , this is just something that he has fitted. Also make sure you use correct fluid.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Don't forget, you could also do a series of sump dumps . ( my preferred method )

This only entails you removing the gearbox drain plug and you will get about 3.5 ltrs of oil out of it. Measure accurately quantity removed.

Refit drain plug and put precisely the same amount of new oil back into the box via the dipstick tube.

On this type of box I used a length of hose pushed into dipstick tube and fitted a funnel on the other end to ease pouring fluid .

Check level is correct via dipstick.

Repeat this process every couple of hundred miles three or four times and you will eventually end up with a gearbox full of fresh new fluid.

Looking at this XC90 for the Asian Market you probably also have the old 5 speed transmission.

Look here.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by S60D5-185; Mar 1st, 2020 at 14:06.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 14:26   #25
drjarmin

Thanks!!!! I think this is the correct one for my car.

Transmission is the AW50/51 AWD and yes it has a yellow dipstick (kinda) under the air filter box.

I have a spare washing machine hose and spare green clips / yellow rings so just need that long nose funnel and 4 more litres of fluid and I should be good!
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 15:42   #26
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Yes, the guy in the video with the XC70 has exactly the same gearbox as you and that's the correct procedure for you.

Like I said, I prefer sump dumps as you are just gently refreshing the fluid however even flushing it out is better than doing nothing.

With the 5 speed box I would lean towards the JWS 3309 fluid but best to still check.

That should see you sorted now that you know what you have fitted and how to do it.

Good luck.👍

Old Mar 1st, 2020, 15:46   #27
drjarmin

Yes thanks - appreciate all the advice. In Vida it shows the 3309 fluid as the part for this car. Hopefully get a chance to tackle it next weekend. Tempted to use the approach you recommend. Seems a lot simpler and less chance of mucking something else up. Can keep doing it until the fluid is nice and pink - although maybe use a bit more in the long run.
The Following User Says Thank You to drjarmin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 08:20   #28
drjarmin

Update on this case:

So to try to solve this issue I have:

1. Tightened the connectors for the roll bar ('thunk' reduced 10%)

2. Replaced top engine mount and lower transmission mount ('thunk' further reduced by maybe 20%)

3. Gearbox flush (~20litres) ('thunk' reduced a further ~40% - the most noticable improvement)

4. Replaced the two lower engine mounts that look like big rubber eggs (didn't do myself as was too tricky to get to) - thunk reduced another 25%.

This leaves a final 5% - still sometimes a slight perceptible judder - especially when cresting over a steep hill or getting to the bottom of a steep hill when it levels out.
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 10:05   #29
Bashy
Aged Member

Poss gearbox solenoids.... Same as I suspect for mine...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 10:50   #30
drjarmin

Thanks that’s a new one for me. Will research. It’s a 2013 car would have thought they would last longer.