Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG rip off. Last week

Views : 3532

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2021, 18:07   #1
BrianH
VOC Member

Default LPG rip off. Last week

Asda Bristol 52.7p p litre
Morrisons around the corner 57.9
Salisbury 69.9
Poole 79.9 Local
Imagine the cost on 80 litre fill??

BrianH 770k mls. LPG. NHS volunteer. 245 GL 1989
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianH For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 19:11   #2
BrianH
VOC Member

Question LPG coverage

Oh I forgot.
SHELL have stopped supplying LPG nation wide altogether.
Emailed them and they replied.
Not making any money.
A green fuel!!!!
Where are we going?
BrianH
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BrianH For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 20:57   #3
eternal optimist
Master Member

If enough demand isn’t there, why would a filling station install and maintain the infrastrucure?
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 22:57   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It's because they haven't bothered installing and maintaining the infrastructure that there hasn't been an uptake - obviously less profit in LPG than there is in BEV charging points!

Even at 80p/L, it's still cheaper than £1.349p/L for BP Ultimate Unleaded as i paid yesterday!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 23:00   #5
eternal optimist
Master Member

Chicken vs egg. Same story with hydrogen.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 20:59   #6
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

Murco?? Winterbourne Stoke on the A303 one of the cheapest on road prices i have seen and regularly cheap, usually about 50p.
The Following User Says Thank You to bimmer49 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 02:15   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

Far cheaper than diesel around here, LPG is 72.9p, thats the cheapest nearest me (Thetford) diesel is £1.28 (tesco for me) or Sainsbugs @ £1.26, i choose Tesco as thats where i shop, it would cost at least the difference (and some lol) to go to Sainsburys to fill up, so pointless doing that...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 17:35   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Far cheaper than diesel around here, LPG is 72.9p, thats the cheapest nearest me (Thetford) diesel is £1.28 (tesco for me) or Sainsbugs @ £1.26, i choose Tesco as thats where i shop, it would cost at least the difference (and some lol) to go to Sainsburys to fill up, so pointless doing that...
Thoughts on supermarket fuel?
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 19:08   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
With regards to? If ya mean quality and issues etc, never had a car thats had fuel related issues stemming from where the fuel was bought in the 30 years I've been driving, to be honest, this is the 1st car I've had with issues that I thought may have been fuel related, turns out it was the starter motor and dodgy glow plug connectors, and it came to me like that anyway, I just had to wait till it was cold enough for symptoms to show.

If I did, I certainly wouldn't buy from them again.
To be fair, I've probably never had a car long enough lol, I think 5 years is my max then changed it, I get bored or they fall apart
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 22:52   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I used to use Sainsburys as they had a barrelage agreement with BP for many years (like 30 to my certain knowledge) hence getting Nectar points on BP fuel as well as Sainsburys.

If i couldn't get Sainsburys then i would use BP. However, before i moved to where i am now, there was once only Tesco and a couple of small independent stations near me that sold petrol so i ended up using Tesco for a while. This was on my other beast and most of the time, i was lucky to see 22mpg. I switched to BP and lo and behold, 33mpg easily. This bore out previous experiences over decades starting with a company van in 1989 that ran best on Sainsburys or BP diesel (45mpg and went well) but ran sluggishly and only returned 30-32mpg on any other.
Also a previous car (again an Astra diesel estate, bought as a stop gap in a hurry) was only doing about 30mpg to and from work on Tesco fuel.

One day we were going out for the day and i happened to stop at Sainsburys for fuel. As i pulled away it spun the wheels all the way across the forecourt, went like the clappers throughout that day and returned 47mpg over the week to and from work as well as that day.

Various other similar examples but the most recent was my 760. Normally it did 25-26mpg on Sainsburys/BP but then the Nectar points disappeared from BP and went on to Esso. Meanwhile on Sainsburys fuel it dropped to 14mpg. This was coincidental with an MoT test during which, obviously the handbrake was tested but afterwards i had a permanent squeal from the left rear wheel.
At first i thought that was the cause of my lack of economy then it dawned on me - Nectar points no longer on BP? BP no longer supply Sainsburys!

Tried Esso, no improvement. Switched to BP - back up to 21mpg and yes, there is a problem with the N/S handbrake, it's been binding and still is but is getting easier. Now the mpg is up to 22-24mpg on BP Ultimate (i always use the high octane stuff unless unavailable) and last MoT the handbake just scraped through on the N/S (i have new disc/drums, handbrake shoes, pads, flexis etc all waiting to be fitted) more or less proving my theory about it binding slightly.

Switching back to Sainsburys briefly after getting 21mpg on BP, the mpg again dropped to 14-16, presumably some BP still in the tank keeping it a little higher but a permanent switch to BP has kept the improvement there.

With all that in mind, i now view supermarket fuel as an emergency "Splash'n'dash" to get me home and/or the nearest BP and despite that on the face of it, supermarket fuel is generally 10% cheaper, the fact it take 50% more fuel to go the same distance means it's not viable to use.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: