Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new member v70 p2 d5

Views : 475

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2019, 11:19   #1
gavsd5

Default new member v70 p2 d5

Hello guys.
New member here.
Firstly would like to hope your all well.
Just bought a v70 d5 2004 due to meeting my partner and needing a larger car, as i previously had an audi tt.
I ve got what seems to be a very well looked after v70 p2 2004 d5,although there is 2 issues that i need to address asap really.

1, The heater blower dial is currently stuck on the orange/off position and no matter how many times i turrn it to go up it does not move, when i picked the car up it was showing 3 green lights and the blower was working,so i turned it off now it wont go back on.(blower resistor or dial unit?)

2, The drivers side headlight is all misted up, but i have a secondhand unit in the boot with new glass but now adjusting motors attached, i understand to remove the headlight the front bumper has to come off,what im asking is how long should i allow to remove the front bumper,swap remove headlight and fit new one and fit adjustment motors and obviously refit everything.

3, Want to do carry out a service, of oil,oil filter,air filter,pollen filter, fuel
filter,anti freeze change, any recommendations please and links would be great.

Many thanks
Gavin
gavsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 11:31   #2
eternal optimist
Master Member

Can’t help with (1), mine has ACC.

(2) Have you tried polishing them to get the cloudiness off? Polishing guides are on YouTube, I’ve done a few and it’s always been worth the effort.

(3) I think your engine should have a black cover, not a silver grey one. Black means D3, so you need A3/B4 spec oils. I use Shell Helix 5w40 from Eurocar parts, usually c. £24 for 5 litres with their discount codes. If you go to Euro Car Parts, get Mann filters, don’t buy any other brand from there. There’s a Volvo dealer in the north east who has an eBay shop who will sell you a service kit at a good price. They also do Volvo’s coolant, you’ll need 4 litres and about the same amount of deionised water to do a flush. It’s also worth getting hold of some of the proper spec ATF if you’ve got an auto. Have a search on here or YouTube, there are a few different ways of refreshing the ATF and reducing the chances of an expensive failure. While you’re about it, have a look at when the aux belt and tensioner and the cam belt and tensioner were last changed. With filters, I am happy to use Mann, with belts and tensioner, for me, they have to be in a Volvo box.

Good luck with it.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 13:26   #3
gavsd5

Thanks for the reply, not going to polish them as one is fine other is cloudy on inside,plus i was given a new one with car.
No need for atf as mines manual.
gavsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 14:45   #4
eternal optimist
Master Member

Makes sense.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 16:29   #5
JoeNinety

Bumper will take a good 1/2 hour first time, after than @ ten minutes

If you heater control doesn't come back to life, and you look to dismantle the dash to remove the climate control unit for a fix/detailed look, disconnect the battery first (otherwise you set off an airbag light that will require diagnostics to reset)
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 17:41   #6
stegreg
VOC Member

you will find to remove the old headlight adjuster motor is easy peasy, putting it back in.....correctly takes a bit longer, but do it BEFORE you put the replacement headlight back in and should go back easier, as you need to hold the headlamp inner reflector as far back as poss, then slip the adjuster motor in, at an angle so the button on the rod pushes in to the slot, its not a ball and socket, but slotted. then, put your fingers in to the headlight hole and lift upwards and you should hear a second click as the other pivot goes back in to place, or the reflector will still be loose.

Bumper is a breeze, remove the 2 front black plastic trims by the number plate, there is a 12mm bolt deep inside on either side, there are a T25 torx bolt at the sides of the front mudguards....undo these quite a way until you see bolt shaft visible, they hold the bumper side guide/locks in place. then after releasing the plastic trim clips across top of black slam panel where bumper curves over. pull the whole assy forwards and down....if you want out of the way fully.....unclip the fog lamp plugs on back of the lamps.
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stegreg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 02:01   #7
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

bumper is really easy except the black undertray thing if its never been off before will be clipped into the body coloured bumper.

I think from memory you can undo the 2x 10mm on the subframe and take it off as one big bumper but you may have to separate it from the main bumper first I cant remember.

basically if it stills feels "stuck" after you've done everything it'll be this.

1. undo fog light wiring, pop off the bumper trim, remove the big bolts, undo screws under each corner, undo screws in each wing, possibly undo 10mm on black rad guard, pull bumper outwards from wings. pull whole thing forward.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote