Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Consumption

Views : 2175

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2017, 14:49   #1
jamie1131

Default Oil Consumption

Hi folks, I'm new here so please go easy!

This is my first Volvo, purchase two months ago.
It is a 2007 XC90 with the 2.4 Diesel engine, manual transmission.

The car is using a lot of oil, 2 litres in 1100 miles. I know this isn't normal but wondered if these cars have any known problems I should check first.

It has high mileage 160,000. There are no other symptoms of than loss of oil. By that I mean its not smoking, there are no drips on the drive, it starts fine and it certainly seems to have plenty of power.
Haven't compression tested it yet or looked inside the inter cooler hoses so it could be a blown turbo seal or bad piston rings but I would've thought I'd see smoke if that was the case?

Also the dipstick seems to be bloody comfusing! It has 8 X's on it. If I dip it with the x's facing the front of the car it's currently showing about half full. If I turn the dipstick around and look at the blank side the level is on the minimum. If I turn the dipstick around and dip it with the x's towards the back of the car the level shows minimum on the X's and about half full on the blank side. Which should I trust? Don't want to over fill it or let it drop below the minimum.
I've had the oil level low message once and I've been watching it like a hawk since.
It has a full, comprehensive service history with thousand spent in the last year or two (on other none engine related stuff!)
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 14:56   #2
Horton

This isn't great news. When a D5 starts to use large quantities of oil (that's a lot of oil!) it's usually very bad news. I think you are probably right re piston rings, but it's not smoking because of the DPF and low ash 5w30 oil...

There's a few members on here who have suffered similar issues, and I've had a few like this...

Eventually, the DPF will start to block, and then you'll need to deal with the problem.
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 16:48   #3
spudd
Master Member

Drop the lower engine cover and look for leaks.
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 16:52   #4
jamie1131

Could the lower cover really be hiding that much oil? Its lost 4 litres since the start of December and not a drop on the drive!
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 18:38   #5
Horton

If it losing that much oil you would know about it!
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 06:35   #6
spudd
Master Member

would still drop it, you be surprised what it holds.
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 15:33   #7
jamie1131

I'll have good look at the weekend when I can see the car in the light.
Anything else I should check?
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 23:15   #8
Whizzer

Interesting to see someone else has the dip stick dilemma.
If you look at the top of the dipstick (the ring you pull it out with), one side says 'Motor', the other side says 'Engine'.
I always face the 'Engine' side towards the engine - not sure if that holds true but at least you can be consistent when checking.
Don't forget that these engines do not like to be topped right up yand tend to give (I think) Engine Service messages if towards full.
Hope you find where you are losing oil from.
Whizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2017, 09:58   #9
jamie1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzer View Post
Interesting to see someone else has the dip stick dilemma.
If you look at the top of the dipstick (the ring you pull it out with), one side says 'Motor', the other side says 'Engine'.
I always face the 'Engine' side towards the engine - not sure if that holds true but at least you can be consistent when checking.
Don't forget that these engines do not like to be topped right up yand tend to give (I think) Engine Service messages if towards full.
Hope you find where you are losing oil from.
I'm glad its not just me. I always have the "motor" side facing me and the "engine" side facing the engine. This means that the Xs face me when I pull the dipstick up. However this makes me nervous as it means I am getting a much higher reading on the dipstick than if I spin it round.

I've done nearly nine hundred miles since my last top up and when I checked yesterday the oil level was 3Xs below the upper marker on one side and at the minimum level on the other side. Not exactly confidence inspiring!
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 12:00   #10
jamie1131

Another 2 litres in this weekend!
The Following User Says Thank You to jamie1131 For This Useful Post: