Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does your Volvo automatically match the revs on upshifts?

Views : 1361

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2019, 16:06   #11
Dastardly Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
This is something I have done for years in all my manual cars, although it wasn't done automatically by the car. It's called a 'sustained rev or rev matched' gear change. As you have discovered it provides a beautifully smooth change and is a lot kinder on the transmission. Takes a lot of practice at first but once perfected you can change gear without your passengers doing the 'nodding dog'. Just a question of 'ease or squeeze' depending on wether you are going up or down the gears, and you are right you don't take your foot of the accelerator.

A lot of new cars now feature this to some degree.
Good man. Everyone should learn sustained and boost gearchanges. Within a few days of learning the technique its second nature. Smoother drive, less stress on the drivetrain, less chance of losing traction.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dastardly Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 20:09   #12
green van man
Premier Member

Thing is after 50 years of driving and an long term interest in motor sport so much is muscle memory that you often outsmart the electronic aids.. I regularly use clutch less gear changes for instance, it's all about matching revs and flexing the engine to get the lever moving smoothly. I also regularly miss out gears, 4th to 6th, 5th to 3rd, sure the electronics is not going to compensate for that, but muscle memory does.

It's an unthinking automatic action that has to be thought about just to talk of.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 21:25   #13
MikeGMT
VOC Member

One thing I could never master, clutchless gear changes, sometimes I could do 3-4 or 4-3, probably the easiest ones to do. More often than not though I would get it wrong and the accompanying grating noise and £ signs flashing before my eyes made me bottle out and stick to using the clutch.
I always looped the gears though, 6-3, 5-2, 2-4 etc. My daughter drove me not so long ago, approaching a roundabout and did 4 gear changes before coming to a stop at the giveway line. Bless. I made a remark along the lines of 'do you like changing gears Em' but I think it was lost on her. As long as she gets from A-B in safety.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 09:39   #14
canis
Non Fragile

I don't understand why this is even a thing. I've been changing gear manually for years, and like GVM says above, it's second-nature to match the revs according to need. Smoother changes, less clutch wear, less componant strain throughout, and minimal loss of power during the change.

Then last year I bought an automatic. I've driven them before, but only very small distances. Now I've owned one, I love it! I can focus more on the road, more on the actual driving, keep both hands on the wheel, less personal stress in the town driving I tend to do. It's lovely, but it was a T4 and I doubt an underpowered automatic would be at all pleasant or comfortable.

To my mind, a clutchless manual gearbox is the worst of both worlds. All the disadvantages of both, and none of the benefits at all. For a start, can you tow it?
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 08:13   #15
Dastardly Diesel

I'm afraid canis it's a thing because people really are getting atrocious at driving these days. When I learned I had to be taught to double de clutch because half the cars back then needed it. I was then taught boost and sustained gear changes, because to drive fast without upsetting the cars attitude with each change requires it, but it's a dying art.

Similarly, drivers now seem to be point-and-squirt merchants with no conception of how to take a corner properly. To my mind the sooner all cars are autonomous then a nicer place the roads will be.

And yes, most cars with MMT boxes can be safely towed.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dastardly Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 12:38   #16
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
This is something I have done for years in all my manual cars, although it wasn't done automatically by the car. It's called a 'sustained rev or rev matched' gear change. As you have discovered it provides a beautifully smooth change and is a lot kinder on the transmission. Takes a lot of practice at first but once perfected you can change gear without your passengers doing the 'nodding dog'. Just a question of 'ease or squeeze' depending on wether you are going up or down the gears, and you are right you don't take your foot of the accelerator.
This was the way I was taught to drive very many years ago.

Most gear boxes back then, if you were lucky did have synchromesh (but never on 1st gear). But the synchromesh 'cones' on the other gears could wear out quickly (especially 4th-5th on a 5-speed box from constant use). When I later got cars of my own, they were usually well worn in the synchromesh department - so if I wanted to impress a passenger with my skills, I very soon learnt the art of double-declutching to keep the journey smooth.

Later in life, I became a driving instructor and always taught my pupils to change gear smoothly by 'see-sawing' their feet to engender 'jerk-free' gear changes. I always told them to imagine that there was a can of drink on the dash that they don't want to fall over and get their clothes wet.

Later still, I became a fleet driver trainer and one of the most common 'jobs' was to assess a client's driving and then give a commentary drive followed by them having a final drive, with gentle 'coaching' to show that they could demonstrate/practice some of the things I had demo'd. Smooth gear changes inevitably featured high on the list in things the driver practiced and developed to make their gear changes 'snatch free'. And admitted that they didn't realise that gear changes could be so smooth! (Most also realised that their observation skills needed more work!)

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post: