Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre pressure

Views : 882

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2019, 14:42   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default Tyre pressure

So, starting off with cold tires, sea level at 21psi. Will be taking part in hill climb at 1000mtrs altitude,temperature probably in the 30*c range. what effect will that have on pressures? Do I keep the pressure on the Low side for better grip on corners or on the high side to make steering lighter on tight chicanes? What's the opinion of y'all?
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 15:30   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
So, starting off with cold tires, sea level at 21psi. Will be taking part in hill climb at 1000mtrs altitude,temperature probably in the 30*c range. what effect will that have on pressures? Do I keep the pressure on the Low side for better grip on corners or on the high side to make steering lighter on tight chicanes? What's the opinion of y'all?
low tyre pressures are not the way to get more grip , you will understeer off the road on a bend . the tread rolls and less contact on the road . i would suggest you use at least 36 psi preferably 40 or more psi if there is much high speed or arduous work for them to do .The tyre treads stay the intended shape then .

The altitude will give the impression of slightly higher tyre pressures but i am not familiar with the altitude versus pressure graph .
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 20:45   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would be sticking to 30-32psi
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 09:05   #4
arcturus
arcturus

Thanks to all. This was really a tongue in cheek post. Yes,hill climb and altitude but I am in the regularity section. Six runs at exactly the same time at timing points. High speed? I intend to go flat out up hill in second and third gear at about 80 km. Easier to repeat times at flat out speed. About four km distance.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 13:31   #5
Vintagewrench

I race my 67 1800s with the VSCCA and a few weeks ago and competed in the Mt Equinox Hill Climb (3500 feet 5.5 miles and forty turns) for the second year in a row, and have found that lower tire pressures can be used at times to your benefit.

The top half of the course is really rough and bumpy and because of that I run 24 psi in the front and 22 in the rear (195/65/15 Michelin street radials). Did not experience any understeer and because of changes made to the car since last year was able to drop my best time by 35 seconds. Did not experience anymore tire edge wear due to roll under than there would be on a road course and and photos taken of the car during hard cornering did not show more roll under. Tire pressure at the top of the hill rose to 30 psi front and 27 rear.

At Lime Rock Park where the car is run three times a year, 35 psi is used in the front and 32 in the rear.

Last edited by Vintagewrench; Aug 31st, 2019 at 13:35.
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vintagewrench For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 14:29   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Using higher pressures in the front will increase the tendency to oversteer. Steering turn-in will be sharp but the rear will want to hang out more on parts of the road that have less traction, especially corners when you apply power. A limited-slip diff can help but I would guess you don't have one of those. Hill climbing is generally done at a lot less speed than on the track. Maybe, say, 60 80 rather than 90 to 110 mph so handling characteristics and how you put the power done are a bit different.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 17:36   #7
arcturus
arcturus

The PV is an old lady. I don't exceed 4000rpm, 80km in third.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 23:25   #8
blueosprey90
Master Member

My advice is to run the tire pressures (hot) recommended by the manufacturer. Bring a tire gauge with you and adjust your tires just before you go out. If anything, if tires are cold, drop the recommended pressure not more than a pound or two. The tires will heat up as you are driving.

Most cars are designed for understeer, because it is controlled by lifting. Oversteer is when the rear end kicks out unexpectedly - and you have to catch it like when you skid on ice. It is often said that with understeer, you hit the wall facing forward; while with oversteer you hit the wall going backwards.

I've done a lot of track miles at WOT on street radials in two different cars on close to stock suspensions, and unless I'm trying to address a specific issue, I usually run the pressure (hot) recommended by the tire manufacturer. I've only ever really suffered from excessive understeer when my tires got too hot, with resultant increase in air pressure.

Make sure your brake shoes are up to par and that you have changed the brake fluid recently and bled the brakes. And if you lose control and spin, put both feet in.

Have fun!

https://drivingfast.net/understeer/

https://drivingfast.net/oversteer/
blueosprey90 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 11:35   #9
Vintagewrench

[QUOTE=blueosprey90;2550695]

How did things go for you and the car at the Fall Festival? Hope to see you at the Fall Finale.
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 13:50   #10
blueosprey90
Master Member

^^^

Really well, but I never got the Volvo up there for the Gathering of the Marks on Sunday. I bolted to upstate NY to spend the day with the family. Big bonus points for that run, so I do expect to receive necessary permissions to be at the Fall Finale.

Broke into the 1:11s for the first time.

Crew and I replaced blown head gasket on another MGA, much to the delight of passers by. As a consequence, didn't see much racing and never made it to the vendors area up top.

Here I am on Saturday running 30 psi front, 32 psi rear (cold). For Arcturus, pressures go up about 4-5 psi with hot tires. I'm running different pressures to reduce understeer in the left hand corner. In theory, the higher pressure in the rear means relatively less grip in the rear than in the front, which allows the rear to kick out and help with the turn. At least that's the theory. Not sure it works. But less understeer with the front tires a bit deflated by comparison. In late laps, it helps keep me in front of my Nemesis.

I don't know what is going on in this picture. I'm looking in my mirrors at the yellow car. He's looking past me getting ready to make his move.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by blueosprey90; Sep 4th, 2019 at 13:53.
blueosprey90 is online now   Reply With Quote