Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hand Brake Shoe preventing Brake Disc Rotor removal

Views : 986

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2019, 18:23   #1
DerekA

Question Hand Brake Shoe preventing Brake Disc Rotor removal

Trying to service hand brake as it caused the MOT failure. Trying to remove rear onside disc rotor and it *feels* as if the brake shoes are stuck in the groove behind the inner rim (where rust edge builds up). The rotor will spin if fully on the axle (albeit with the brushing noise of pad against metal) but when I start to pull the rotor off the axle I can hear the brake shoe retaining springs stretching / scratching. The rotor will not come off!
I think that the left cable is stuck in full handbrake on position. When checking the adjustment connector in the passenger footwell, I removed the centre armrest box and exposed the T plate that splits the single cable into two, one to each rear wheel, to make sure cables were connected. The cable to this wheel was much longer (so the T plate was not at 90 deg - more like 45 deg). So I suspect the rear onside handbrake is stuck in the on position. It could be the brake cable is jammed up (I've heard of this happening) but I think it could be the angle bracket (see image attached) that hooks onto the end of the brake cable and pushes the shoes apart. I think it is rusted in the extended position as when I did the other side it was jammed up. Whether it is this angle bracket or the brake cable, the situation is the same - the shoes are stuck inside the hand brake groove on the inside of the rotor.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? Do I just lever it off (with great force and possible damage to the retaining spring anchor points) or is there a way to get at the shoes and prise them over the probably rusty lip of the rotor?

thoughts, tips etc gratefully received.

thanks

PS: I should add the photo is from a youtube video, not my wheel, as mine still has disc rotor stuck on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xc90 rear brake handbrake shoes.jpg (25.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by DerekA; Sep 7th, 2019 at 18:25. Reason: add a PS to explain image
DerekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 18:41   #2
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Lever & rotate back and forth while tapping drum with hammer, itll be a fight but it should come.
Had same problem on one side of mine, it was a B###ard but mm by mm it came off without any damage to handbrake assy.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 19:11   #3
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekA View Post
Do I just lever it off (with great force and possible damage to the retaining spring anchor points)
When this happened to me, I bought replacement springs then levered off the disc.
The retaining spring bracket was fine but it obviously trashed the old springs.

I tried non-destructive methods but to no avail.
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 19:15   #4
DerekA

I'll give it a go - thanks. Am also going to try a sqirt a bit of WD40 on the angle bracket through the rotor screw holes if I can re-align them up with the axle. Ive got one of those cans with one of those 6 inch micro flexi hoses on it.
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 19:45   #5
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Forgot to mention, I also managed to get a flat bladed screwdriver in a gap somewhere and scrape some rust off while rotating drum(disc)
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 20:07   #6
DerekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
When this happened to me, I bought replacement springs then levered off the disc.
The retaining spring bracket was fine but it obviously trashed the old springs.

I tried non-destructive methods but to no avail.
I've tried the hammer method but I think something has broken in there. When I rotate the disc in its normal position there is a loud scratching and clunk then the disc spins (with brushing pad sound). If I then spin the other way, the loud scratching then clunk happens again then it spins. It is as if something is flopping over one way then the other as I change rotation direction. The stretching spring sound is only when I try to pull/lever it off. So something has gone inside that is more serious than just shoes in groove issue.

I bought replacement springs set to use on this job so, given your experience was that the brackets survived, I'm going to go the levering method. Will report back on what I find behind the rotor - fingers crossed I don't trash something serious.
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 20:09   #7
DerekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Forgot to mention, I also managed to get a flat bladed screwdriver in a gap somewhere and scrape some rust off while rotating drum(disc)
yep - saw how I could do that. Will give it a serious go before moving onto the leverage method.
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 20:53   #8
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Mine did this when the pad material separated from the backing plate and were waging it on.
Brute force did it for me, managed to get it so far and then got it free,
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 21:39   #9
oragex
Premier Member

As mentioned, the problem is the drum develops a rust 'bump lip' inside, and the brake shoes cannot slide out past this bump lip. The way I worked out mine is grabbed a piece of 2x4 wood, inserted it between the side of the drum and the hub (at the top of the drum), then hammered down on the wood to make it move down and force the drum to slide out. Surprisingly the shoes springs didn't break - mind you the small top and bottom springs are fun to figure out how to release from their hole - they have a side hook so need to keep the spring compressed and move it sideways in the opposite way of the hook (don't remember which way)

Well worth sanding off the lip of rust once removed and also sand the friction surface for the shoes - I like to pull the handbrake once in a while to keep this surface free of rust

Last edited by oragex; Sep 7th, 2019 at 21:42.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 07:36   #10
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

I find a dremel perfect for grinding the wear lip off the drum.

As said, loads banging and levering; I have worked in a garage and seen mechanics knock 7 bells out of drums to get them off; skilled ones slant the blows and rotate the dum as they hit so pushing the drum off, often removing the drum with just a few hits; damn annoying when you don't have the experience and are banging away for ages!

Enjoy!
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XJSDriver For This Useful Post:

Tags
disc, handbrake, rear brakes, rotor