Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1995 Volvo 850 T5 SE estate - £650.00

Views : 1046

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 15:05   #1
Turbodave
VOC Member

Default 1995 Volvo 850 T5 SE estate - £650.00

Ok, situation as it stands...

I've not long since bought this car. I bought it at the end of November as a means to get to work / run for winter and that was my intention for the forseeable future whilst also tidying it up etc however the opportunity to buy a phase 2 T5 has cropped up and I'm mighty tempted. Plus Mrs Turbodave isn't a huge fan of this one, she isn't a fan of Volvos full stop so adding a second one to the fleet didn't go down well.

The basics...

1995 (M)
Volvo 855 T5 SE
Black in colour
208,000 miles
Unknown lowering springs
Late spec genuine 17" R alloys with good tyres (about 4mm all round)
R front bumper but it's not looking too clever.
Standard interior - heated seats, electric windows all round, standard headunit.
V70 rear lights and clear repeaters
It has a MBC and runs at 12PSi quite happily.
Starts fine, drives ok for it's miles and can still pick it's skirt up and run.
Tax until Feb 2013
MoT until November 2013

I bought it with about 25 minutes MoT, put in in for it's test and it failed on top mounts, front drop links, front discs and pads and a handbrake imbalance. So, since then I've done the following repairs:

O/s/f upper top mount
2 x front anti-roll bar links
Front discs and pads
Rear brakes stripped, cleaned and erm... sorted.
Fuel filter, set of platinum plugs and a flush through with Forte treatment
Replace the broken glovebox lid
Refitted the original airbox
Replace the top engine mount
Replaced the cam sensor
Replaced the vacuum pipes
Driven it.

Now, given it's done 10 billion miles... it's bar far from being a trailer queen and has some (ok, a few...) issues:

The front bumper is hopeless - it appears to be made from duct tape.
The bodywork is ok, some minor rot on the front wing and could use a good polish if that's your thing
It's a be it noisey at warp speed - general tranmission / drivetrain stuff and has some general creaks and groans. Don't we all.
4th gear isn't too happy, crunches going in especially when cold
It's smokes a bit when it's hot and is sat in traffic for a while
It has proper gangster / estate spec tints - I kept them as it stops the neds seeing my bike in the back

In short, it's done over 200,000 miles and feels like it but don't be put off... it's a strong engine, it starst fine, doesn't use coolant and has been superb over the past couple of months. I like the fact it's not trying to be anything it's not - it's got a few battlescars, it's a bit noisey and could use some TLC. I refused to get in too deep with it as it is what it is - you could spend some time and effort, you could run it through winter and break it or you could turn the boost up and see how long it takes to blow number 5 clean through the sump. As said, the only reason I'm selling is I have the chance of a newer T5 and in reality, long term that makes more sense.

The car is located in Fife, just near the Forth Bridge and we have roads, train tracks and even two airports. Feel free to come and look at it, have a drive, laugh at how little grip the front tyres have when coping with 225bhp+ and sub zero temperatures but don't come and offer £2.50. I'm not desperate to sell, I don't really want to sell as I've grown to love the old thing (now named Helga III) and in reality, I could perhaps justify the phase 2 and this but I have to be sensible.

I'll get some more images up shortly.

Price wise, I'd like my money back plus cover the costs etc but I'm open to offers:

£650.00
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 15:48   #2
knobstar

Sorely tempted but mine's got no problems so can't justify an upgrade to T5! GLWS :-)
knobstar is offline   Reply With Quote