Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate open.... It's not!!

Views : 661

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2020, 11:42   #1
Kevin_L

Default Tailgate open.... It's not!!

Hi 2005 V70

Out of the blue got Tailgate Open message

Checked... It wasn't...even sometimes the boot is full and I give it a bit of a shove!!

Funnily the message wasn't there this morning on start up so I opened and closed the tailgate and the message is back

I stripped off the insulation on the wires in the tailgate hinge expecting to find the issue and all the wires as far as I can see are fine, no breaks etc

I have noticed that on unlock the indicator's flash but not on lock...

Anyway.... What else if not a wire break....

Thanks
Kevin_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 11:51   #2
reggit
Premier Member

I’m guessing there’s a micro switch in the lock mechanism that tells the car the latch has closed. It’s where I’d be looking anyway.
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 12:26   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_L View Post
Hi 2005 V70

Out of the blue got Tailgate Open message

Checked... It wasn't...even sometimes the boot is full and I give it a bit of a shove!!

Funnily the message wasn't there this morning on start up so I opened and closed the tailgate and the message is back

I stripped off the insulation on the wires in the tailgate hinge expecting to find the issue and all the wires as far as I can see are fine, no breaks etc

I have noticed that on unlock the indicator's flash but not on lock...

Anyway.... What else if not a wire break....

Thanks
try a decent slam closed . it works well with bonnet switches if it works remove switch clean or replace
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 13:00   #4
Kevin_L

Hi thanks I'll give it a slam!!

So.... Where's this switch??
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 13:04   #5
Brendan W
Premier Member

That's symptomatic of tailgate glass breakage or what amounts to the same thing discontinuity from the tailgate glass to ground. The flasher behaviour is a giveaway. In addition to the demister ground there is another wire for the breakages sensor.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 17:25   #6
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
That's symptomatic of tailgate glass breakage or what amounts to the same thing discontinuity from the tailgate glass to ground. The flasher behaviour is a giveaway. In addition to the demister ground there is another wire for the breakages sensor.
not always - they dont flash on lock if you have removed the siren in my experience
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 00:41   #7
Kevin_L

Ok...my siren definitely there.....I put it there myself three years ago ago when it went wrong... The main issue for me being that it stopped the sunroof working

Anyway.... breakage sensor??

Where's that....

And where's the tailgate microswitch

Thanks
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 08:58   #8
traebbe

Hi Kevin,

had the same message when i got my first V70 years ago.
After changing the battery.
Next time the right back door doesn't unlock, then the left... always after reconnect the battery.
I'd done the reconnect as usual to all my other cars in the past.
But: The V70 needs a special ritual

Open the Luggage-door, shut down the radio, the air-vent, the lights and wait for at least 5 minutes, time for coffee :-)
Then disconnect the negative wire from the battery.
Now take a thin cable and connect the Plus-Connector with the frame. That will clear all errors.
Remove the thin wire, put the key on ignition pos (Ignition on)
Then connect the Negative wire to the battery fasten the screw an wait again for 5 minutes.
Then turn ignition off and leave the car. Close all doors and lock and unlock the drivers door with the key (not remote).
Then start the engine, all failures should be gone.
traebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 21:39   #9
Kevin_L

Ok thanks could try that

Maybe I'll hook up my code reader and see if anything showing on the chassis

Can someone please say where this microswitch is and I'll have a look at that too

Ps my radio...HU850.... Doesn't work.... Usual amp issues... And hasn't worked for the past year
Old Aug 30th, 2020, 18:21   #10
Symes
Master Member

I've had the "tailgate open" message flashing up for a few Months, but work has meant that I've only just got around to looking at it... despite the alarm triggering every now and then - less of a problem in the staff car park, a bit more of a pain at 3AM at home!

Checked the usual, broken cables in the hinge and the microswitch on the lock, which were fine. Using a jumper in the loom to lock connector didn't clear the message, but grounding to an earth on the body did.
As Brendan has said above, the earth for the microswitch is via a connector on the heated rear window, a check of continuity there showed an open circuit at the window connector (near side on my MY06), so I ran a new wire from there with a new male spade connector over to the off side connection for the heated window.
Problem now fixed :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Symes For This Useful Post: