Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Crankshaft Rear Main Oil Seal

Views : 1032

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2020, 12:47   #1
stevepcar
Steve

Default Crankshaft Rear Main Oil Seal

Replacing RMS as its leaking quite badly as a result of not replacing PCV system. New oil seal from Caffyns Volvo part no 9458178, does not seem to be as good quality as the original and the internal diameter seemed much less.. The original is stiff & rigid and is a sealed unit. The new one was very flexible and not sealed, the wire insert came out very easily every time I tried to fit it. Eventually I managed to get it over the end of the crankshaft flange, without the wire coming out. But it did not go in at an even depth all round, so I managed to even it up, but it now seats about 3mm deeper than the original. Is it now too deep to be an adequate seal? Please can anybody with experience of this or similar help. If necessary I can take it out & fit a new one, but would rather not.
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 13:14   #2
4x4
Premier Member

Best speak to Caffyns and they should be able to advise. There should be a part number on the old seal to compare with
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 15:46   #3
V70Zig
Master Member

As 4X4 says speak to Caffyns, but old seals do shrink and go hard and rigid. I'm sure I read somewhere on here that there is a volvo tool that is used to fit them...or was I dreaming...hope you sort it.

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Zig For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 17:08   #4
stevepcar
Steve

Default Volvo Tool

Yes there is but only seems to exist in the US. Also costs so much I could just keep buying new oil seals until I get it right!
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 18:47   #5
Stu B
Master Member

I'm not sure if it's much use, but post no. 6 in my thread from previously owning an 850 T5 shows my RMS when I changed it along with the clutch and other bits.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283304

I found the old one, which would have been original and about 23 years old at the time very hard to get out and it was brittle and hard as you've found. The new one much more flexible but a bit smaller diameter, and hard to get it to pop in all the way around the circumference and took a lot of faffing to get it to seat.

I can't recall now if it sat deeper as you mention though, I'll see if I can find any pics extra to those on the thread
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 18:52   #6
Stu B
Master Member

Ok, I've had a look back in my photo albums and the only other pic I have that might be useful, I've uploaded and linked below. It doesn't show the new RMS though, only the crank with the old seal removed. Not sure if it helps?

That's a 1995 850 T5 by the way.
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 14:01   #7
stevepcar
Steve

Default Rear Crankshaft Oil Seal Replacement

I was concerned that the seal was in too deep, also it had not located at an equal depth all round, due to my ineptness I am afraid, also the engine is still in the car, so I'm doing this upside down from underneath. So I pulled it out with a self tapping screw & I've ordered a new one from Caffyns. I have studied various You Tubes showing this legendary installation tool (all from the States) I am attempting to make my own version using MDF, drilled to take 4 x flywheel bolts & a piece of plastic soil pipe, which has the correct external diameter to seat the seal evenly....I hope. It might still be cheaper to buy an installation tool from The States. watch this space.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevepcar For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2020, 19:05   #8
stevepcar
Steve

Default Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal

I discussed the part number with Caffyns & it seems there are other numbers, but the current number is as previously stated. It is flimsier than the original & the spring keeps coming out when you are trying to slide it over the crankshaft boss. I used my MDF & drain pipe DIY tool, but still managed to get it in deeper than the original. As it does not actually run against the rear of the flywheel, as long as it fits correctly all round the crankshaft boss, I feel that it should be ok. I consulted Robert Spinner, who is the absolute oracle of all things 850 as far as I'm concerned & he says that it will not make any difference to it's sealing properties. So the proof will be after I get it back together & watch the large puddle of oil forming on my drive. I will post again once I've done a few miles.