Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P220 Heated rear screen

Views : 887

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2020, 16:46   #1
HWKWallis

Default P220 Heated rear screen

Has anybody done the install on the amazon Estate?
Am assuming the spare live feeds refered to in manuals aren't in place so I need to run through the headlining and drill into the top of the tailgate?

Thanks

Jim
HWKWallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 00:45   #2
TomTom
Master Member

For me it’s really a question of what screen to go for. Have you found an Amazon rear screen with integrated demister, or will you stick a demister onto the screen? Would be interested because I hope to do the same to my Amo.
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 10:06   #3
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWKWallis View Post
Has anybody done the install on the amazon Estate?
Am assuming the spare live feeds refered to in manuals aren't in place so I need to run through the headlining and drill into the top of the tailgate?

Thanks

Jim
You're right! The wiring isn't there, so you would have to make up the loom and switch yourself, with a relay. Personally, I would take a live feed from No.1 fuse and use a relay with an integrated fuse. I would route the wire along to the back using the existing loom, then send the wire up to the upper tailgate up through the rear pillar. That way, you'd just have to peel back only a very small section of the headlining at the back.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 11:13   #4
HWKWallis

Presently I have to hand a screen with integrated element from Brookhouse who were discounting some time back and a 12 minute delay relay.
Looking out for a shelf light switch to trigger and a 'bellows' solution for the wires down from the roof to keep them tidy but allow extension when the hatch is opened. The screen I have needs wiring to both sides; suspect that I'll end up with something akin to the coiled flex on old phones!

Having fallen foul of the well known domino effect whereby improving the look of one element simply highlights how bad three others are, having done the interior results in the headlining is being replaced. So I have opportunity of doing it right first time and the problem of getting a headlining back right first time.
And the tailgates are off and just back from sandblasting to repair/repaint. Appears the lower has had a robust bottom repair which was never levelled correctly (good news as the wavy surface wasn't therefore a minefield of filler) and the upper has pin holed around the lower seam and delivered a 2p piece hole right in the lower corner under the seal track ....which is bound to be more of a pain.
Surprising also how much rust was blowing apart the jointed seams in the lower part of the glass apperture under the seal......caught in time then.

So all new seals to go back on.
And the hinges, pull handles and opener are off to chrome (s/s new from Brookhouse for the large outer one)

Jim
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 13:02   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

From what I have been lead to believe, Volvo didn't start to offer heated screens for any Amazons until just after production had stopped. Hence no dedicated wiring in the loom. This apparently happened when owners complained that 140 owners around 1970 could have them so why not us! Many owners then had them fitted to what were then virtually new cars.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 15:13   #6
HWKWallis

Odd for such a forward thinking company when they were available at the time; presumably a cost issue as well.

I thought I had read that the saloon had aux power run already so hence the hope the estate was equally treated
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 19:50   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

HWK;

Late Amazons had a Batt power (Brn) wire in the harness to the rear, (Ref: 123GT Wiring Diagram: https://www.sw-em.com/123GT-Wiring-Diagram_US.jpg Item 60) but it was only an 18ga/1,0mm2, intended for the minimal current of trunk/boot light only. This wire is not suitable for a Rear Window Defroster.

A RWD of any effectiveness (Resistance conductor as the heated glass type, or warmed air, which I prefer, see reason below!) should be around 100W, and that requires a new wire to be routed. I recommend gauge of that should be 12ga/4mm2 wire (AND also that this elec load not be installed before vehicle gets an uprated output Charging Sys, like an [>55A] Alternator), because pulling 100W (=8.5A) out of elec sys when Chg Sys is powered by a 30A oe Gen means that when that load is in use, Batt will not be being charged, in fact, likely being discharged because it needs to contribute power.

Ref: https://www.sw-em.com/accessorize.ht...dow_Defrosters

Cheers

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Jul 6th, 2020 at 20:54.
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 13:26   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

123GT had combined mercury switch lights under the boot lid and under the bonnet. This model only as standard equipment.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote