Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice please on drilling out the ignition barrel

Views : 1299

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2020, 16:38   #1
fishyboy

Default Advice please on drilling out the ignition barrel

Hi all,
After a great first day of Amazon ownership day two has taken a turn for the worst.

When i picked the car up the ignition key was a bit sticky, but managed to get the car started and drove 70 miles home no problem (no mean feat given the car had only done 130 miles in the last 7 years).

This morning tried the key and it just would not turn. tried some graphite powder and jiggling the key to no effect. Went off to town to a get a replacement cut on a spare blank for my 1800 hoping that would do the trick. Tried tapping the new key when all the way in to see some of the "pin-stacks" would drop. No change. Resigned myself to having to put a new barrel in so I ordered one from Simon.

After a few hours of trying lots of different key positions the key turned as far as Position 3 (Driving position). Rather oddly the key wont go to the Start position or the Radio position.Great i thought push the release pin (with the key in position 3 and out will pop the old barrel and no drilling required. Well after another hour of lying on my back (penetrating fluid sprayed on the button) I could not get the pin to move. Sounds like its time for the drill.

Has anyone any advice regard drilling?
Where to start?
What am I trying to achieve by drilling?
If the pin won't move will the barrel ever come out?

How will day 3 turn out?

Phil
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 17:24   #2
kishor

Default barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyboy View Post
Hi all,
After a great first day of Amazon ownership day two has taken a turn for the worst.

When i picked the car up the ignition key was a bit sticky, but managed to get the car started and drove 70 miles home no problem (no mean feat given the car had only done 130 miles in the last 7 years).

This morning tried the key and it just would not turn. tried some graphite powder and jiggling the key to no effect. Went off to town to a get a replacement cut on a spare blank for my 1800 hoping that would do the trick. Tried tapping the new key when all the way in to see some of the "pin-stacks" would drop. No change. Resigned myself to having to put a new barrel in so I ordered one from Simon.

After a few hours of trying lots of different key positions the key turned as far as Position 3 (Driving position). Rather oddly the key wont go to the Start position or the Radio position.Great i thought push the release pin (with the key in position 3 and out will pop the old barrel and no drilling required. Well after another hour of lying on my back (penetrating fluid sprayed on the button) I could not get the pin to move. Sounds like its time for the drill.

Has anyone any advice regard drilling?
Where to start?
What am I trying to achieve by drilling?
If the pin won't move will the barrel ever come out?

How will day 3 turn out?

Phil
Hi Phil

No need to drill it. If you force the barrel to turn, the locking pin will jump out and then pull the barrel out. you could lever it near the locking pin to create a bit of play to remove with the pin.
Hope you get on well. If you video call me I can show you how

Ta
Kassie
kishor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 21:54   #3
fishyboy

Hi Kassie
Thanks for the reply.
If I understand correctly do I stick a screwdriver or the like into the "lock cylinder" and try to turning the "lock cylinder"/barrel until the pin is forced under the collar of the "ignition switch assembly" and the lock cylinder come s out? I've attached one of Ron Kwas's figures from his website (www.sw-em.com) to clarify the terminology

By "lever it near the locking pin" are you talking about the Ignition Switch Assembly or the Lock Cylinder?

It would be fantastic if that worked.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 21.42.27.png (240.4 KB, 30 views)
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 23:06   #4
blueosprey90
Master Member

Have you taken the ignition switch out of the dash?
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 23:12   #5
fishyboy

Hi blueosprey
Everything is still in the dash. I’ve removed the two screws which hold the Ignition Switch Assembly to the lower lip of the dash. But it stubbornly refuses to move.
Phil
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 09:19   #6
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Hi blueosprey
Everything is still in the dash. I’ve removed the two screws which hold the Ignition Switch Assembly to the lower lip of the dash. But it stubbornly refuses to move.
Phil
Don't forget the armored ignition cable.You will be pushing against that.
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 12:49   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

fb;

My advice? Don't do it!

See: https://www.sw-em.com/Broken%20Vinta...tion%20Key.htm

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 12:58   #8
kishor

Default Hi

Quote:
Hi Kassie
Thanks for the reply.
If I understand correctly do I stick a screwdriver or the like into the "lock cylinder" and try to turning the "lock cylinder"/barrel until the pin is forced under the collar of the "ignition switch assembly" and the lock cylinder come s out? I've attached one of Ron Kwas's figures from his website (www.sw-em.com) to clarify the terminology

By "lever it near the locking pin" are you talking about the Ignition Switch Assembly or the Lock Cylinder?

It would be fantastic if that worked.

Phil
Hi Phil

Yes that is it. if you screw the ignition back in, it's easier to split the locking pin. If you want to video call me, I am available. Ta Kassie 078 2887 9494
kishor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 18:37   #9
fishyboy

Hi all,
The good news is "Charlie" (the reg number is HRH....) now has a new ignition barrel and new key so thanks for all the advice.

Firstly, I removed the front seat to gain proper access (and re-web the base while I was at it). Assembled all the "poking, prodding and hitting" tools I could find and made a comfortable "bed" (photo).

Just as I was about to start the new lock cylinder arrived from Brookhouse (less that 24 hours after it was ordered, thanks Simon). I could see tfrom the new one that the lock cylinder retaining button should move easily and released mine must be "stuck" (after 54 years!).

I took Kassie's advice and moved the assembly a little to gain better access, got a drift and a small hammer, turned the key to position 3, lined up a drift and gave it a sharp wack. Button moved and out popped the cylinder! In the end a 5min job (only because the key turned as far as position 3, but no further).

Of course getting the new cylinder in took over and hour along with lots of swearing but as they say "all's well that ends well."

Thanks again,
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5420.jpg (247.5 KB, 24 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to fishyboy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 18:47   #10
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Good news!

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote