Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does anybody know the difference between P1 and P2 struts

Views : 871

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2020, 21:48   #1
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Default Does anybody know the difference between P1 and P2 struts

Hi all, barely 2000 miles after I fitted brand new sachs automatic top mounts (I gather auto ones are thicker/stronger?) They're both leaning inwards already both phase 2 cars I've had have absolutely munched through top mounts, I think I put 2 sets on the SE in about a year / 12k miles, and the the P1 with P2 coilovers has at least 2 maybe even 3 sets, although granted that was quite low, and therefore very stiff, the SE was on standard comfort suspension though, plus this had a set just after I got it, another new pair when I put new shocks on all round and the H&R springs from antz, which wasn't long before I parked it up with its failing engine, them needing replacement after standing for nearly 18 months wasn't really a suprise, but new quality ones, in 2k?

So, I'm wondering what the physical differences are with the phase 1 cars setup, as I ran that orange car for nearly 2 years with standard suspension, and never needed to do anything to the mounts, until swapping to the coilovers that necessatated using the P2 ones, so provided there's not a seriously large amount of difference, id like to use P1 ones if at all possible, it's worth noting that I have access to a machine / CNC shop at work so modification of the shock absorber top (if needed) isn't out of the question.

Does anybody know?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by clarkey1984; Jul 4th, 2020 at 22:02.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 16:58   #2
canis
Non Fragile

The P1 and P2 top bits are interchangeable. The P1 ones are far better, in that you can pull off the plastic cap and fill the bearing full of grease as routine maintanance. You can't do that with the P2 type. The struts themselves are the same, I think, but I wouldn't put money on it. That's as much as I know.

One of many reasons why I think P1 were better cars overall.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 17:10   #3
colnet

P1s have shorter drop links, so the drop link mounting is placed differently on the strut leg.
colnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 18:18   #4
clarkey1984
Premier Member

That's great news, I would only be needing the top mount itself, possibly the upper spring seat too if they're not the same, as I gather P1 springs are different so potentially might be a different shape, I'll get a pair ordered then, it's worth a try, plus if they won't work I can just return them.
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 18:33   #5
colnet

If I remember correctly the p1 springs are a lot firmer than the p2s, Volvo had a lot of complaints regarding firmness of ride on the p1s
colnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 18:52   #6
clarkey1984
Premier Member

That would make some sense at to why the P1 mounts are tougher then, I'm on -60mm H&R springs that I bought from Antz so it's firmer than standard, but as I said the SE was on comfort suspension and that still ate mounts, I thought this time that buying Sachs items might give me some sort of longevity.
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 20:36   #7
Dirty Diesel

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm also needing to replace my strut top mounts, as they make a terrible noise when you turn the wheel either way from the "straight ahead" position.

You mentioned that P1 top mounts bolt straight on, and are tougher? Should I buy a set of P1 mounts then? I'm on standard SE suspension if that helps.

Another thing too, P1 springs are firmer than P2? Are they a straight swap onto P2 struts, and would the change be noticable/worth it? I've got fresh springs and shocks on the back, but the front struts are all original from what I can tell.

Thanks!
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote