Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

clouds of blue smoke after the overun on acceleration

Views : 936

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2020, 18:53   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default clouds of blue smoke after the overun on acceleration

Hi guys Trying to get to the bottom of this issue as above. The only time I notice smoke is after a length of time with the engine on overun at say 35/40mph then when I accelerate, plumes of blue smoke can be seen in the rear view mirror.
My thoughts are
1) Valve stem oil seals... classic culprit for these symptoms - but in recent years you don't read that much about their failure...and I have no smoke on start up when the oil would have had chance to seep past the seals overnight. All I have is just steam as you'd expect.
2) PCV system clogged.... I have started to strip down the engine, but I'm stuck at the LHS lower inlet manifold bolt - its covered by another part which needs another part removed to gain access. So I'm having 5 minutes think and have decided to seek advice/comments on my situation. As an aside the glove test on the oil filler cap is a loss.... It gets SUCKED down into the filler - good job theres a mesh screen or it would disappear.
3) Some type of turbo/seal failure....There is a little oil on the surface flange of the over the engine top intercooler pipe, but no signs of oil having been in the pipe - but would there be??
I'm wanting to get this repaired but would prefer to choose the right culprit -
Cars a 2004 V70 AWD R 120K miles. As ever all comments/suggestions welcome. ( Wife said i should plug the computer in - as it cost all that money -trouble is I don't know what questions to ask it.)
Cheers
Bob.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 19:50   #2
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

do a compression test see if its worn rings
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barrybritcher For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 14:55   #3
100K+
Premier Member

Default Time grandad please.....

So... I thought I could at least attempt one of the three options I'd considered as a repair for the Blue smoke the car was blowing out the exhaust.....WRONG!
Despite a brill Utube vid :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEOzIoVxO4s
I have hit a stone wall x2.
1) The LH lower inlet manifold is unaccessible to any of my sockets/spanners - even my 1/4" set. Even if I get this removed and all the other bolts loosened there is a banjo bolt on the LH side of the manifold that sits directly above the alternator and I can't get a spanner onto it and suspect the bolt will hit the alternator before the banjo is removed...( didn't have an issue on the vid.)

however,I can forsee a situation where I remove something and can't get it replaced or smash something trying too hard to remove it, and have the car stuck on the drive, so discretion etc. etc. to the fore, I'm giving up.....
I'll get everything back together, and live with the slightly higher oil consumption and smoke trail...
I'm thus now trying to convince myself ( and justify quitting) that as I have a vacuum in the PCV system, (at least on the glove test) this is not where the fault lies.

I have already 80% convinced myself that the problem is not valve seals, ( does the R even have valve seals??) so that just leaves the turbo ( or piston rings)

..and if I apply the above logic long enough and often enough I'll convince myself the smoke is actually a figment of my imagination!!

Cheers

Bob. currently Pig Sick!!
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 16:39   #4
traebbe

Hi Bob,

did your car have extended oil consumption?
I wouldn't give it attention, if the consumption is normal.
traebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 17:01   #5
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
do a compression test see if its worn rings
Compression test = all cylinders between 170- 180psi needle a bit jumpy, so happy with that. Adding a bit oil, did not change readings strangely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traebbe View Post
Hi Bob,

did your car have extended oil consumption?
I wouldn't give it attention, if the consumption is normal.
Oil consumption getting towards 1 pint per 1000 miles, not a lot I know but historically my Volvos used NO oil between services till reached 100K+
(This AWD R and a 240K miler 2002V70 T5)

Cheers
Bob -
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 21:36   #6
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
I watched that U-tube vid. too before i did my T5`s breather system.
Yeah, it is a very good guide but i will ad my two-penny-worth.
He should have removed the electric fan - 2 bolts and a couple of cable clips.
Remove the throttle body and I/C pipes to give hand access under the manifold with an 8mm combination spanner or 5/16" AF ( whichever gives the best fit) onto that awkward bolt you mention. The manifold hole there is slotted so the bolt only needs slackening half-a-turn.
He should have undone the brass fitting at the right-hand end and swung the free manifold up to the left. That would give access to the Banjo fitting above the alternator.
The small tube from the middle of the Banjo will be brittle and blocked/broken -(guaranteed) . I cut mine away and replaced with some silicon tubing.
Trace this breather tube down towards the turbo and check the 2 N/R Valves are functioning properly, and the valve into to inlet duct is clear too.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 22:41   #7
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
Hi.
I watched that U-tube vid. too before i did my T5`s breather system.
Yeah, it is a very good guide but i will ad my two-penny-worth.
Remove the throttle body and I/C pipes to give hand access under the manifold with an 8mm combination spanner or 5/16" AF ( whichever gives the best fit) onto that awkward bolt you mention. The manifold hole there is slotted so the bolt only needs slackening half-a-turn.
He should have undone the brass fitting at the right-hand end and swung the free manifold up to the left. That would give access to the Banjo fitting above the alternator.
The small tube from the middle of the Banjo will be brittle and blocked/broken -(guaranteed) . I cut mine away and replaced with some silicon tubing.
Trace this breather tube down towards the turbo and check the 2 N/R Valves are functioning properly, and the valve into to inlet duct is clear too.
Hi
Did you have positive crankcase pressure before you did your T5 breather system. I don't appear to have.

Quote:
Hi.
Yep, realised that was a given as it makes so much more room - I even removed the air box- 3 more bolts.
Quote:
I'll look at that again in the morning. Not sure which bolt(s) is 8mm or 5/16". Manifold and throttle body are 10mm, and banjo is 17mm - I'm just so worried that I get the thing apart and am unable to get it back together. I don't have anyone to call on to dig me out of a self inflicted hole...lol

Cheers
Bob
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 09:59   #8
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
I am wrong about the 8mm bolt size. I`m trying to remember as it was a while ago and i`m prone to the odd "Senior Moment" every now and then. All i remember is to have a good selection of slim bodied combination spanners because the amount of turn that you can get on that bolt is minimal.
There was no crankcase pressure on my car. The PCV sytem is a service item so i changed mine to avoid all the horror stories about blocked systems. The real culprit is the return drain from the box back to the sump. That is the first area to clog-up .You wont know `til everything is removed. There may be the start of a blockage. The best thing is to blow down the hole using a length of hose and listen for a gurgling noise in the sump oil. You can hear that if you remove the oil filler cap.
What i will say is, the engine breathes much better for having done this job. It runs much smoother. There was a build up of oil above the turbo on mine too, although mine didn`t smoke, and i`ve just repaired the turbo. The hot-side sealing ring was worn.
Both these jobs seem to have cured it.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 16:55   #9
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

you can move the steering pump quite easily, to go in from the left instead
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 10:19   #10
100K+
Premier Member

Default All apart...

Well... after a lot of cussing, skinned knuckles, and counting to 20 ( 10 was too short) I have finally got everything stripped down- only to find everything is like a new pin!! - almost. I've had the car for 12 years & 70K miles with fully synth. annual oil changes so perhaps I should not be surprised how clean everything is.. My home made vacuum water gauge test was telling me a similar story too.
The LH side manifold bolt was defeated using a 1/4" long extension wobble bar +10mm socket as was the LH side oil can retaining bolt. The video shows its location, but Vida only show the obvious RH bolt!!
Now I need to order seals and gaskets for the reinstall.. and that's going to be another big ask. I can see the power steering pump, and alternator having to come out to reinstall that banjo into the manifold....

Cheers
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post: