Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AWD Haldex and diff issues

Views : 33852

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2016, 20:11   #11
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Hi all,

I have a 2008 D5 Manual. 113k on the clock.

Ive had a clicking noise from the front drivers wheel for ages. It transpires that the nearside/passenger/left driveshaft was knackered so I've just spent £500 replacing that with a volvo one. Ouch. Anyway, such is life.

What I was surprised to hear was the mechanic saying he believes the front Diff/Transfer box has excess backlash and is causing a little clunk sporadically.

Has anyone had this ?

I can hear (just about) a small clunk now and again when reversing up my drive or changing down a gear. Im a purist and would like the car right.

Any suggestions or recommendations for someone to look at the Diff/Transfer box ?

Im in Merseyside

Last edited by colinbos; Sep 20th, 2016 at 21:09.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 15:48   #12
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinbos View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2008 D5 Manual. 113k on the clock.

Ive had a clicking noise from the front drivers wheel for ages. It transpires that the nearside/passenger/left driveshaft was knackered so I've just spent £500 replacing that with a volvo one. Ouch. Anyway, such is life.

What I was surprised to hear was the mechanic saying he believes the front Diff/Transfer box has excess backlash and is causing a little clunk sporadically.

Has anyone had this ?

I can hear (just about) a small clunk now and again when reversing up my drive or changing down a gear. Im a purist and would like the car right.

Any suggestions or recommendations for someone to look at the Diff/Transfer box ?

Im in Merseyside

Cancel. Its the right lower engine mount.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 17:41   #13
Warkman

I have a 2002 xc70, and the Haldex seals are leaking.

I'm being told that you can't get the seals individually and the only way is a refurb or new Haldex.

Is this true? has anyone been able to source the seals?
Warkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 13:41   #14
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warkman View Post
I have a 2002 xc70, and the Haldex seals are leaking.

I'm being told that you can't get the seals individually and the only way is a refurb or new Haldex.

Is this true? has anyone been able to source the seals?

This site would appear to beg to differ

http://www.jimellisvolvoparts.com/sh...rimLevel=20459

Item No7 Part No.8675238. Its the only seal there though.

There is a gasket seal on the DEM controller (not shown) but I'd consider "gasket in a tube" of even silicon seal to seal it. Not pretty but effective.

Any repair you do will need prop shaft & exhaust removed = time. It might be "cheaper" depending how bad the leak, to refill the Haldex unit as it empties. Oil is about £15/litre and you can buy a lot of oil for the labour costs involved. ( a litre a month for 3 years would be about £500 which is I guess less than the repair labour cost)

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 20:16   #15
Jay850t5

splined sleeve and angle gear!
Jay850t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 16:51   #16
Piskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustenAWD View Post
Hi all new to the forum. I currently fix Freelander 2 transmissions (diffs and haldex), but am starting get inquiries about the Volvo units. Id like to try and help, but need to collate as much info as possible so i can try and cure the symptom/problems described. I know the Freelander inside out but not had the pleasure of getting my hands dirty with the volvo AWD units(or ford kuga). I understand that there are various vibrations and noises that look likely to be caused by the Haldex unit itself. The majority of problems in Freelanders is actually a diff failure which i can now fix but in a way that will prevent it happening again (its a design fault). Id really like to to do the same for the affected Volvo cars. So if anyone would like to go into a detail about their own experiences id be extremely grateful, and if anyone is currently suffering issues and cannot get a resolution im happy to investigate the car free of charge (this is what i did with the freelanders to come up with a robust solution)

Im not sure if the guy i initially spoke to about his XC60 is on here, but he was stuck in a battle with Volvo to sort his car out, and was going to get back in touch with me but i havent heard from him, so if you read this give me a shout as im in a better situation to help at the moment (i have brand new Haldex 4 units in stock for a lot less than Volvo!)
Wonder if you or anybody can help. I have a 2004 D5 XC90 with AWD problems. I had the car plugged into VIDA and it came back with a code faulty communication code with the DEM. I've had the DEM repaired by lukas at volvodignostics and the rear diff has had a new pump, filter and transmission oil, but still no AWD. The DEM code was cleared.

I suspected that it might be the splined sleeve in the transfer box and I've tried turning the prop with all four wheels on the ground and the prop spins freely. Also I've had the car up on a lift with all four wheels off the ground, put the car in drive, the front wheels spin but the rear wheels do not, and the prop does not turn.

I've just come back from the garage now and they have said that after clearing the DEM code, they took the car for a drive and it threw the code again.

So I have a few questions to try and help me determine whether it is the splined sleeve or an electronic issue. (1) is the transfer from the angle gear a direct drive or it it clutched ? (2) if the DEM is working and splined sleeve is worn would this throw a DEM communication code when the AWD doesn't engage ? (3) are there any other electrical issues that would throw the DEM code ? I don't have any other fault codes other than a boost pressure issue, but that's not related.

If anybody can help I'd really appreciate it. I've already thrown around £1200 at this issue and I'm no further forward. Starting to get desperate now !!!
Piskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 17:26   #17
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
Wonder if you or anybody can help. I have a 2004 D5 XC90 with AWD problems. I had the car plugged into VIDA and it came back with a code faulty communication code with the DEM. I've had the DEM repaired by lukas at volvodignostics and the rear diff has had a new pump, filter and transmission oil, but still no AWD. The DEM code was cleared.

I suspected that it might be the splined sleeve in the transfer box and I've tried turning the prop with all four wheels on the ground and the prop spins freely. Also I've had the car up on a lift with all four wheels off the ground, put the car in drive, the front wheels spin but the rear wheels do not, and the prop does not turn.

I've just come back from the garage now and they have said that after clearing the DEM code, they took the car for a drive and it threw the code again.

So I have a few questions to try and help me determine whether it is the splined sleeve or an electronic issue. (1) is the transfer from the angle gear a direct drive or it it clutched ? (2) if the DEM is working and splined sleeve is worn would this throw a DEM communication code when the AWD doesn't engage ? (3) are there any other electrical issues that would throw the DEM code ? I don't have any other fault codes other than a boost pressure issue, but that's not related.

If anybody can help I'd really appreciate it. I've already thrown around £1200 at this issue and I'm no further forward. Starting to get desperate now !!!
Sounds like your angle gear has stripped the spline if the prop turns freely.
There is a Volvo kit to repair, if your lucky there is no other damage.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 17:41   #18
Piskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luggsey View Post
Sounds like your angle gear has stripped the spline if the prop turns freely.
There is a Volvo kit to repair, if your lucky there is no other damage.
Thanks. That what I suspected. But why would a DEM code be throw againif the DEM has been repaired ? Would the car sensing that there is no AWD, throw this code ?
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 20:16   #19
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
Thanks. That what I suspected. But why would a DEM code be throw againif the DEM has been repaired ? Would the car sensing that there is no AWD, throw this code ?
The dem may not report any problem when the angle gear splines are broken, several members report not realising their 4wD had failed until they got stuck!
If you like the car then I should fix the angle gear and see what happens.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luggsey For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 21:43   #20
Piskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luggsey View Post
The dem may not report any problem when the angle gear splines are broken, several members report not realising their 4wD had failed until they got stuck!
If you like the car then I should fix the angle gear and see what happens.
I like the car, I'm just concerned that fixing the sleeve still might not fix the AWD because of the DEM code, even though I've had the DEM repaired.

Just reading the DTC readout from VIDA and it says 'The DEM indicates to the BCM when four wheel drive is activated. A DTC is stored if the BCM registers that the signal from the DEM is missing, or if the signal indicates that four wheel drive is not working'

So my question is can the signal to/from the DEM to the BCM be working, but still throw a code if the four wheel drive isn't working (e.g. due to stripped sleeve) How does the car recognise that the four wheel drive isn't working if a signal is present ?