Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Q about LED headlights

Views : 1138

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2018, 09:13   #1
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Default Q about LED headlights

The 40 year old charging system on my bike engined kit car only just copes with ordinary H4 headlights, bearing in mind there was only one headlight on the bike, two on the car.

I’m using headlights more currently (sorry for the pun!) so thinking about fitting LEDs instead. There is no error-finding software...

Two questions: will they take less from the battery/alternator, and will they give as much, if not more, light output?

Thanks in advance.

Malcolm
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 23:11   #2
XC70Virgin

All things being equal they should do. Be careful what you buy as there's an unbelievable amount of crap out there. You generally get what you pay for.
XC70Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC70Virgin For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 23:38   #3
andy_d
Premier Member

if your not fitting them in lamps Designed to have LED bulbs then it is illegal to fit them for road use.

if the bulbs do not have an "E" mark, there illegal to fit to lamps putting light on the road,
no if but or otherwise
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 01:38   #4
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Thanks, both, never thought about the legality aspect. The headlights are the 7" round reflectors as used in the original Mini, so not designed for LEDs.
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 01:54   #5
andy_d
Premier Member

Change the lamp unit as well to a "E" marked one for leds

ok its not going to be the period look

https://www.mandp.co.uk/twin-6in-h7-...tor-lamps.html

Are "E"marked ,arent "period" look but being projector based units, may well get you more light on the road
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 15:28   #6
JamesN7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxlin View Post
The 40 year old charging system on my bike engined kit car only just copes with ordinary H4 headlights, bearing in mind there was only one headlight on the bike, two on the car.

I’m using headlights more currently (sorry for the pun!) so thinking about fitting LEDs instead. There is no error-finding software...

Two questions: will they take less from the battery/alternator, and will they give as much, if not more, light output?

Thanks in advance.

Malcolm
These fit in most 5 3/4" bowl type headlight housing (slight modification may be required):

https://furoreproducts.co.uk/headlight-3850-lumen-pair

30W - so should be lower power than a standard H4 bulb.

(They also do a version for 7" headlights)

James
JamesN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesN7 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 15:46   #7
I-S
Premier Member

Yes, LEDs produce more Lumens (light flux) per Watt. As a very loose guide, LEDs typically produce 10x the output of a Halogen bulb, so 5-6W of LED light output should match a 55W halogen bulb.

Be aware that higher colour temperature (whiter light with more blue content than a halogen) can make light seem less bright when you're behind it (and yet they seem more dazzling coming the other way) - an effect I've noticed with both Xenons and LED headlights.

As others said above, don't get a replacement bulb - they are illegal and dazzling and won't work very well anyway. Get a replacement 7" light unit that has all of the correct optics built in. This will give correct beam, more light on the road and use less electrical power.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 19:53   #8
phil1968
Master Member

Approaching from a different angle, I seem to remember in my distant memory that it's a Moto Guzzi engine fitted to your kit car? If it has the usual 3-phase motorcycle type generator you could also fit a mosfet regulator / rectifier as they are more efficient & run a lot cooler, as well as ploughing more charge into the battery when the engine's idling.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 20:24   #9
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post
Approaching from a different angle, I seem to remember in my distant memory that it's a Moto Guzzi engine fitted to your kit car? If it has the usual 3-phase motorcycle type generator you could also fit a mosfet regulator / rectifier as they are more efficient & run a lot cooler, as well as ploughing more charge into the battery when the engine's idling.
Thanks, Phil,

Mine’s actually CX500 Honda powered, and I have fitted an Ignitec unit, which improved things noticeably.

Looks like I’ll have to open my wallet to fully convert, or only drive in daylight! (I have fitted LED DRLs to help being seen).
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxlin For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 20:29   #10
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Given the 'bike' heritage of the car, and the headlights being in freestanding shells are there any replacement units from the bike world that would suit?

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote