Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 - oil level low

Views : 2780

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2018, 20:54   #11
Waynedance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
no , only half way there …
Later ones must be different as mine i believe is 9000 miles.

18k too much for me anyway.
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 21:13   #12
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Modern A5/B5 & A3/B4 oils can stretch to 18k but they are in a bit of a state by then.
12 month 10-12k is optimum, youre getting goid use out of the oil without being wasteful but changing it before it starts to lose its composure. 14-15k is ok if the car primarily does lots of long runs and high speed cruising.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 21:22   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedance View Post
Later ones must be different as mine i believe is 9000 miles.

18k too much for me anyway.
no , all after 2005 are 18000 miles, those before 2005 are 12000 miles so have had 13 years to knacker themselves , but they don't of course , Volvo use the best oil which holds the particles in suspension . No problem whatsoever .
I've changed 1000's of sumps full oil on D5 with all sorts of mileages and always the oil flows like water and the internals of the oil filter housings and sumps are as clean as when new ….. even on those which are 5000 miles late ! save your money only volvo knows best ..
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 21:33   #14
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Some truth in that, though just cos the engine is clean it doesmt mean the tbn isnt depleted allowing harsh acids to attack internals, coming out like water may indicate a lack of suspended sludge, but can also be a result of the oil shearing down to a much lower grade which is less stable, reduces oil pressure and flow and allows more metal to metal contact much more readily.
Volvos own oil will be good quality and good for a long run, but also produced to a price by the blender, though that blender will most likely be castrol/fuchs/total, possibly shell, so should still have a decent make-up.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 17:00   #15
bobsy852

Sorry all, I've been away for a few days and not had chance to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedance View Post
At 9000 miles is an oil change not due?
As others have said, the Volvo handbook actually states the oil should be good for 18k miles. I change it at every 10k max but do try to do it before. I've had a very busy couple of months though so haven't had chance so I appreciate it's getting later than I'd like. I was planning to change it come next payday.
I've just never noticed it go down before in the past. It's always stayed spot on the half way mark where I left it after I changed the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
What does the electronic level control say about the level? Bacause by dipstick I presume you mean the mechanical one.
For some reason my V70 doesn't have an electronic dipstick level. it has a physical one in the centre of the engine cover. It's a late 2007 D5. I figure it must be one of the last to be like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
why not top it up a little
I topped it up on Tuesday as the warning came on again when in traffic. I stopped as soon as I got off the motorway and checked the oil with the engine running and it was indeed appearing quite low. When it cooled down that evening it was back into the XXXX's of the dipstick but I put 0.25l in anyway to bring it back up to half way up the dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
should be just above half way on the dipstick ( 60% up the XXXXXXX scale )
They probably forgot to reset the oil level gauge when they changed the oil , top up about 1/3 litre and remind them to reset it when they change the oil next time ( 5.7 litres )
I change the oil myself and only reset the service indicator on the dash when I do? Is there something else I should be resetting or are you referring to electronic dispticks? I've learnt the hard way to ensure I only put 5.7l in!

Anyway, I've topped it up now so will continue to monitor it.
I might bring the next oil change forward a few weeks! This should give me a better chance to see if there are any leaks too that may be hiding under some of the plastic under trays.
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 17:15   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsy852 View Post
Sorry all, I've been away for a few days and not had chance to reply.

As others have said, the Volvo handbook actually states the oil should be good for 18k miles. I change it at every 10k max but do try to do it before. I've had a very busy couple of months though so haven't had chance so I appreciate it's getting later than I'd like. I was planning to change it come next payday.
I've just never noticed it go down before in the past. It's always stayed spot on the half way mark where I left it after I changed the oil.

For some reason my V70 doesn't have an electronic dipstick level. it has a physical one in the centre of the engine cover. It's a late 2007 D5. I figure it must be one of the last to be like this?

I topped it up on Tuesday as the warning came on again when in traffic. I stopped as soon as I got off the motorway and checked the oil with the engine running and it was indeed appearing quite low. When it cooled down that evening it was back into the XXXX's of the dipstick but I put 0.25l in anyway to bring it back up to half way up the dipstick

I change the oil myself and only reset the service indicator on the dash when I do? Is there something else I should be resetting or are you referring to electronic dispticks? I've learnt the hard way to ensure I only put 5.7l in!

Anyway, I've topped it up now so will continue to monitor it.
I might bring the next oil change forward a few weeks! This should give me a better chance to see if there are any leaks too that may be hiding under some of the plastic under trays.
yes only electronic dipstick , it tells the gauge that what ever level is in the sump is the correct level … so can only be reset by people with VIDA who know what they are doing .
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 21:23   #17
Rids666

Hi all.
Sorry op for jumping on your post but thought this might be a good place to ask my question.
Bought my V70 D5 about 3 months ago. The oil level warning light came on when going home this evening from work and when I checked it was just above the min mark. So I need to top up and intend to do an oil change soonish
The manual recommends 0w30 oil but I've seen that this might not be the best to use. So my question is which one is everybody using for there D5?
Tesco currently have Castro magnatec on offer at 2 x 2l bottles for £18 but it's 5w30 a5

Thanks for any advice
Rids666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 21:35   #18
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Rids666 check here 👍 https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283503
It depends on what engine variant (euro3 or euro4), the castrol is fine for euro4 engines

Last edited by AndyV7o; Jul 20th, 2018 at 21:38.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 21:58   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids666 View Post
Hi all.
Sorry op for jumping on your post but thought this might be a good place to ask my question.
Bought my V70 D5 about 3 months ago. The oil level warning light came on when going home this evening from work and when I checked it was just above the min mark. So I need to top up and intend to do an oil change soonish
The manual recommends 0w30 oil but I've seen that this might not be the best to use. So my question is which one is everybody using for there D5?
Tesco currently have Castro magnatec on offer at 2 x 2l bottles for £18 but it's 5w30 a5

Thanks for any advice
It is pretty easy ...0w/30 has always been the Very best quality recommended by Volvo ( not me ) for the D5 …
up to 2006 a cheaper alternative 5w/30 was recommended by volvo if cost was a problem , but after 2006 0w/30 was always mandatory . Nothing else was suitable according to volvo in UK , other markets may be different of course .
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 22:04   #20
Rids666

Sorry should of said it's a 07 mk3 euro 4 D5
Rids666 is offline   Reply With Quote