Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 oil

Views : 718

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2018, 09:30   #1
Steff79

Default D4 oil

Hi All,

I've recently bought a 2015 V70 with the D4 engine in.

I'm not new to Volvos or the engine having a V60 company car with the same engine in it and being brought up with a line of classics.

However, I probably took less care of the V60 as a company car, and I want the V70 to last a long time!

So, the whole electronic checking of oil level. I have always found it very random as to when it will let me do it and when not. There seem to be a lot of people who say just leave well alone and only top up if a warning message tells you to do that.

On the V60 that does happen now and again since I got up to 100k miles and I do as the message says.

The question is really, how cautious is the message, i.e. I don't want to run the V70 low on oil, so if I wait until the message is damage already being done or have Volvo set it so that it comes on well in advance and if I had a dipstick the oil would still be above the minimum point.

Hoping not to have any issues for a while since the V70 is only on 25k miles but the one time I have managed to get the electronic display to work it did say low. No message to top up of anything and I couldn't get it to display again but just want to make sure I'm not damaging it.

Oh for a dipstick!

thanks
Steff
Steff79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steff79 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 09:34   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffan Eldred View Post
Hi All,

I've recently bought a 2015 V70 with the D4 engine in.

I'm not new to Volvos or the engine having a V60 company car with the same engine in it and being brought up with a line of classics.

However, I probably took less care of the V60 as a company car, and I want the V70 to last a long time!

So, the whole electronic checking of oil level. I have always found it very random as to when it will let me do it and when not. There seem to be a lot of people who say just leave well alone and only top up if a warning message tells you to do that.

On the V60 that does happen now and again since I got up to 100k miles and I do as the message says.

The question is really, how cautious is the message, i.e. I don't want to run the V70 low on oil, so if I wait until the message is damage already being done or have Volvo set it so that it comes on well in advance and if I had a dipstick the oil would still be above the minimum point.

Hoping not to have any issues for a while since the V70 is only on 25k miles but the one time I have managed to get the electronic display to work it did say low. No message to top up of anything and I couldn't get it to display again but just want to make sure I'm not damaging it.

Oh for a dipstick!

thanks
Steff
Hopefully it's not using a lot of oil ! Yes the messages are ultra safe the low message will come up whilst the oil is still in the safe part of the "Dipstick" .. The system uses ultrasonics to measure the height of the oil in the sump and is very accurate as long as it is reset by the dealer when they change the oil . You will know about it long before the level gets dangerously low .
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 10:08   #3
Steff79

thanks for clarifying. Not using any yet but I do plan to cover a few miles in it.

That's what I wanted to hear. Will still get a litre of oil to leave in the boot, at least that way if I do ever get a message I can top up right away.

Steff
Steff79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 08:58   #4
green van man
Premier Member

Not sure about your engine but my D5 had a technicians dipstick as well as the electronic gauge. Like you I found the gauge difficult to use and more often than not used the small dipstick wich was not the easiest of operations.
The crunch came when the gauge told me 100% while the dipstick showed oil just above the minimum mark and I was about to tow 450 miles to Scotland.

I invested £63 in the police spec full sized dipstick which took me less than an hour to fit including clearing corroded threads.

If yours is the 5 cylinder engine and you have a technicians dipstick check just above said dipstick for a cast boss on the engine, if that boss has a M7 tapped hole then the police spec dipstick is an easy fit requiring only a 10 mm spanner.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 10:20   #5
Lincolnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Not sure about your engine but my D5 had a technicians dipstick as well as the electronic gauge. Like you I found the gauge difficult to use and more often than not used the small dipstick wich was not the easiest of operations.
The crunch came when the gauge told me 100% while the dipstick showed oil just above the minimum mark and I was about to tow 450 miles to Scotland.

I invested £63 in the police spec full sized dipstick which took me less than an hour to fit including clearing corroded threads.

If yours is the 5 cylinder engine and you have a technicians dipstick check just above said dipstick for a cast boss on the engine, if that boss has a M7 tapped hole then the police spec dipstick is an easy fit requiring only a 10 mm spanner.

Paul.
You will need thin arms though as access is fiddly ....
Lincolnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 13:54   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
...The system uses ultrasonics to measure the height of the oil in the sump and is very accurate as long as it is reset by the dealer when they change the oil ...
That's not 100% reassuring! I really wish my recently-purchased 2015 V60 D4 had a dipstick.

I just bought a litre of Shell Helix Ultra Professional AS-L 0W-20 for emergency use.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 06:59   #7
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnite View Post
You will need thin arms though as access is fiddly ....
Ahh yes. I've always had mine so didn't notice but you are correct..

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote