Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 awd front wheel spin

Views : 2083

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2017, 12:40   #1
window
Window

Default XC60 awd front wheel spin

I had a problem while parking up my caravan. The car stopped with the its front wheels were on grass and its rear wheels on a gravel path. I could not reverse the car and caravan. The front wheels spun on the grass with no movement of the rear wheels. No error messages. I uncoupled the caravan and the car could be driven away.
The car is booked in at the dealer after Xmas. I would appreciate any technical information that will help me understand how the awd drive should work and how the drive could have failed either by my actions or a failure of a car component.
Trevor
window is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to window For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 16:30   #2
Bantambuddy
VOC Member

Does this help http://www.billswebspace.com/HALDEX.pdf
XC60 SE Lux Nav Manual D5 AWD Black Sapphire; Polestar; Family Pack; Driver Support Pack; Winter Pack with Active Bending Headlights; Front and Rear Parking Sensors; Privacy Glass; Diamondbrite;20" Wheels
Bantambuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bantambuddy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 09:45   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Sounds like you have some sort of failure. There are several different versions of Hadlex system used on AWD Volvo over the years they have become increasingly sophisticated, but on the latest version fitted to new XC60 etc. The AWD coupling should be fully engaged when setting off from rest. From what you describe that is clearly not happening. I’m assuming your car is not a hybrid?

FYI haldex is no more the company was acquired by Borg Warner who are gradually dropping the haldex name.

I cannot think of anything you could have done to cause the system to fail - could you confirm model year and engine of you XC60?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 26th, 2017 at 09:49.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 12:00   #4
window
Window

Tannaton and Bantambuddy
Thanks for your replies.
My car is the latest XC60 D4 AWD Inscription version registered in July 2017.
It is going in 1st week January for inspection/test. Keep you informed.
regards Trevor
window is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to window For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 14:48   #5
window
Window

Default Rear wheel torque

I am getting a little bit frustrated with Volvo.
I had an issue in December 2017 with the front wheels spinning on my new D4 XC60. They have examined the car and say there is nothing wrong. I ask a question(s) but they never give a straight forward answer. I am into the 3rd week of waiting for them to tell me what the maximum design drive torque that can be directed to the rear wheels in "off road mode" can be? and others questions.
I have looked through all the literature and on the web but cannot find an answer to the torque question - does anybody know?
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 15:39   #6
iain cooper

without being technical, if your front wheels were spinning on the grass surely the rear wheels should have at least been trying to grip on the gravel ?

is that not what AWD does ?

Iain
Old May 11th, 2018, 15:46   #7
MarkC

Had the same problem a year or so ago with our `13 xc60 but we were getting a 4x4 failed warning on the dash? Eventually traced to a faulty valve in the rear trasmission.
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 12:05   #8
window
Window

After a lot of nonsense from Volvo about my front wheel spin. Some technical members stated that off road mode would have set the car to 4 wheel drive also others stated that the maximum torque to the rear wheels was 95%! Both statements incorrect.
The problem was - If you use auto handbrake and come to rest and then open the door or unfasten the seat belt [sometimes] the car removes the auto handbrake function and applies the normal "hand brake". This only brakes the rear wheels whereas the auto brake is on all 4 wheels. With the rear wheels braked the front wheels will then try to drive the car or spin in my case.
With all the technology on the car I cannot understand why it will allow you to drive the front wheels with the normal "hand brake" applied? Seems illogical!

Tags
xc60 wheel spin awd