Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 polestar software update.

Views : 484

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 21:40   #1
Scoobiedoo79

Default S60 polestar software update.

Hi Guy's,

I've got a S60 (18 plate 2.0 auto) and was thinking about installing a tuning box to it (TDI Tuning) but whilst going over it and looking into it further I came across the option to install the polestar software upgrade onto my car from volvo direct for £555 (all warranty / services etc are not effected as its volvo supported)

My understanding is that it upgraded the predefined mode selections (eco comfort etc) to the newer bigger better faster stronger polestar versions. However in my digging about I've found out that it just adds another option to the list called polestar that you have to select to use as opposed to it always running on tweeked pre defined ones.

Firstly has anyone got this done that can confirm what you actually get with the upgrade and if its worth it over a tuning device.

And secondly if it just adds a polestar option to the list can it be set as a default? As it stands mines is set to comfort as most of the time I forgot to change it and setting individual as an option to default eact time I use the car (or polestar if I upgrade) would be preferable but I don't think this is the case / possible.

Can anyone assist / advise / recommend a tuning device?

Thanks in advance,
Scoobiedoo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 22:39   #2
MikeGMT
VOC Member

If you have the Polestar optimisation you still have the same number of driving modes, but the Dynamic is renamed Polestar. All the modes except (I think Eco) are reprogrammed to some extent with the Polestar mode giving the full benefit. No matter what drive mode was last used the vehicle will always revert to Comfort mode when starting the car. Another benefit is the transmission is reprogrammed offering better shifting and gets rid of some of the hesitation. It does have a lot more influence on various drivetrain systems than a remap or tuning box can offer.
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 23:01   #3
Scoobiedoo79

Given the price is it something you'd recommend over the normal pre programed options?
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 00:18   #4
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobiedoo79 View Post
Given the price is it something you'd recommend over the normal pre programed options?

From my personal viewpoint I have no regrets. It is expensive when compared to some remaps which offer a lot more bang for your buck, but the Polestar offers a lot more integration with the drivetrain. After the software was installed it was immediately obvious, the car was more responsive to throttle inputs and gear shifts. It gets a thumbs up from me.

Dealers offer a 14 day free trial, so you can try it to see if it's worth the outlay.

https://engineered.polestar.com/uk/

Last edited by MikeGMT; Apr 4th, 2024 at 00:25. Reason: Link added.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 09:52   #5
VOLVOKPG

Default costing

whats your registration and i will see if we can do it cheaper,
we are in south wales just over the bridge
VOLVOKPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 10:09   #6
Scoobiedoo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOKPG View Post
whats your registration and i will see if we can do it cheaper,
we are in south wales just over the bridge
The reg would be SY68UEX but given I'm in the north of Scotland I'm pretty sure any deal wouldn't be cost effective I'm afraid.
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 12:28   #7
Verion

I've thought about doing this but what with my insurance up for renewal end of May, I'm going to start enquiring what the insurance premium uplift will be.

If it's minimal, then I think I'll do this as it's Polestar/Volvo backed rather than a tuning box from a company that I've not paid much attention to.

@VOLVOKPG I'll send you my reg number if that's ok.

Last edited by Verion; Apr 6th, 2024 at 12:43.
Verion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 13:38   #8
Scoobiedoo79

So the plot thickens for me.

I contacted a dealer about this upgrade and when I checked they advised it will only give me a polestar option that replaces dynamic mode and the other two modes just stay as normal with no upgraded gearbox recalibration.

This came from one of their software techs.

For an option provided the info out in the open about it is pretty confusing regarding what's right and what's not.

I've also seen another site where you buy an obdi to ethernet adapter then get some software (OrBit) from Here and you can activate it and have a good fiddle with butt loads of other options with loads of support if need be taking into account the buying of the hardware and software it would be roughly £300 whick is way cheaper than the dealer price.

Anyone heard of OrBit or used it?
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 19:55   #9
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verion View Post
I've thought about doing this but what with my insurance up for renewal end of May, I'm going to start enquiring what the insurance premium uplift will be.

If it's minimal, then I think I'll do this as it's Polestar/Volvo backed rather than a tuning box from a company that I've not paid much attention to.

@VOLVOKPG I'll send you my reg number if that's ok.
Hi.
When you're ready please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote