Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A Christmas laugh for you

Views : 1482

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2015, 20:54   #1
340man

Default A Christmas laugh for you

My friend recently bought a 2 year old, low mileage, largish diesel estate Mercedes. Sure it's in nice condition, he asked me to go for a ride in it. Bashed my head on the door frame and my knees on the dash as I got it, found that I was sitting quite low. Not a good start. Found the engine noisy, the car too wide and the ride bumpy. Of course I could not tell him any of this.

Got into my Volvo 340 GL and drove off, thinking this is more like it, quieter, more comfortable, not so bumpy. Went to fill with petrol as nearly empty, filled the tank. Drove out of the petrol station, down the main road and faithful old Volvo, misfired a little. Thought crap petrol, but then it got much worse. Then the penny dropped, filled up with diesel! Oh dear, can I make it the couple of miles home? just about did, engine misfiring and pinking a lot.

Silly billy, never done this before in well over 40 years of driving.

Have just bought this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272063486251

with the thought of pumping out the diesel.

Any suggestions of the easiest way to do this?

Last edited by 340man; Dec 27th, 2015 at 21:25.
340man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 340man For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 09:33   #2
dingov70
Master Member

Morning there , If you car has a mechanical pump on the engine , simply remove the pipe from the fuel tank & plug your electric pump into that pipe and empty your tank . If you have fuel injection , you will find the pump near the fuel tank . My trick for this is to remove the power feed from the wiring loom , fit a long pipe from outlet of the pump & into a suitably sized container to receive the fuel you pump out . Take a direct 12 volt feed from the battery & apply to the + terminal of the pump and away it will go emptying the tank for you . Due to the volume of diesel there is an almost zero fire risk due to sparks

Once the tank is empty , reconnect everything you undid and add petrol . The exhaust will smoke for a while until all traces of diesel have been burnt away
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 09:48   #3
340man

Good moanning, thank you for the reply. Yes, mechanical pump under the bonnet. It has a flow and return connection to the tank.They look similar so need to discover which is which.

I may run the new electric pump from an old battery charger, might be easier as it already has long DC output leads on it. This morning I will look in the garage for some empty cans, about 10 gallons worth!
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 13:56   #4
340man

Well, I have rummaged the garage, unfortunately, the old 5 gallon Jerrycan that I knew was in there, is full of petrol. I did find a roll of fuel tubing and some 2 gallon petrol cans of my late father's that might be pre WW2. They seem in quite good condition and one of the has "Pratts" on it. How appropriate.
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 13:51   #5
340man

Update, disconnected fuel feed to the car's mechanical pump and connected to my new electric pump. Pumped the contents of the tank into plastic petol cans about 8 cans in all.

Reconnected car's mech pump as before. Put a gallon of petrol in the tank, car was reluctant to start, sprayed a little Easy Start into the air filter and tried again. Started OK and a fair amount of smoke from the exhaust. After a few min, this reduced. Letting this run out then I will put another gallon of petrol in.