Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 engines 163bhp unreliable ????

Views : 11678

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2017, 15:17   #31
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcab06 View Post
Looking at the forum topics it would appear that the later 5 cylinder diesel engine in 163bhp form is no where near as reliable as the old 140bhp unit fitted prior to year 2000.

DISCUSS ::
Although to be fair to OP, the above was their OP, which was a comparative exercise, not a judgement of absolute reliability. It seems to have been ignored by subsequent posters.

The waters only got muddied with their later post.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 15:40   #32
maarty
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Although to be fair to OP, the above was their OP, which was a comparative exercise, not a judgement of absolute reliability. It seems to have been ignored by subsequent posters.

The waters only got muddied with their later post.
OK then here it is concisely and clearly

The d5 163 engine is far superior to the older engine in terms of reliabilty (and in most other areas to)

And id suggest the reason the OP sees more post regarding them is simply they exist in far greater numbers in volvo land rather than they are problematic.

As stated the methodology does not stand up to scrutiny
maarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 15:43   #33
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarty View Post
OK then here it is concisely and clearly

The d5 163 engine is far superior to the older engine in terms of reliabilty (and in most other areas to)

And id suggest the reason the OP sees more post regarding them is simply they exist in far greater numbers in volvo land rather than they are problematic.

As stated the methodology does not stand up to scrutiny
I agree, the methodology doesn't stand up. I think you'll find I stated that in an earlier post on the thread.

ETA, your post, which mine seems to have prompted, is the first to state that the D5 is superior in terms of reliability to the older engine, which was the original Q/discussion point.

Last edited by Bonefishblues; Apr 1st, 2017 at 15:46.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 16:03   #34
maarty
I've Been Banned

I disagree , By stating for example its no where near as reliable as the older engine (which wasn't a paragon of reliabilty) and there are page after page of problems id suggest he /she is implying its a unreliable unit per se

This is simply not true, as said its a superb engine which if its maintained IAW volvos service requirements will give long and very reliable service

Ive no doubt my old d5 would if id kept it notched up 300k without any serious issues .
maarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 16:28   #35
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

I disagree that we're disagreeing. You seem determined to disagree, which is fine. I'll bow out for fear of being seen as disagreeable, so I award you the winner's prize of the internet
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 20:05   #36
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
I disagree that we're disagreeing. You seem determined to disagree, which is fine. I'll bow out for fear of being seen as disagreeable, so I award you the winner's prize of the internet

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 20:19   #37
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
I agree
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 20:11   #38
Minormatt

No problems with mine again...

My screenwash seems to be unlimited too!
Minormatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 13:51   #39
Bernard333
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorgate View Post
my two-pennorth.

1) *lots* of people buy Volvos because they think they can skimp on servicing them. This seems to be a state of mind in the richer parts of society, whereas DIY fixes are commonly found in the poorer parts. So lots of people here buy volvos cheap, after they have been subjected to ridiculous levels of neglect. What you are reading here are *fixes* for these situations.
moorgate, your post really made me laugh, you have described me to a tee, when I got my first V70 D5 fourteen years ago which I still have I imagined keeping it for the four year 110000 miles duration of the pcp scheme then handing it back spending as little as possible on servicing as tyres and servicing were not included in my monthly payment. The oil was changed less times than recommened during that period using £11 per 5 litre oil, cheapest B4 oil I could get at the time. My financial circumstances changed so I ended up keeping the car after the pcp period ended.

The car now has 185000 miles on the clock, original turbo, cam belt changed at around 117,000 and thats been the only major expense (cost around £110), the engine seems to have plenty of power and I am guestimating its probably good for another 50000 miles. In my new life as a poverty stricken diyer I fix everything myself, I have a few cars these days which I need to keep 'fixed' at no cost to the owners but the V70 is the most reliable cheap and easy to repair of the old bangers I look after.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2017, 11:36   #40
JohnBuckles
JohnB

Smile Bullet Proof

Totally agree.......2005 D5 220,000 miles and only routine service, still get 50miles to gall on a run, and clocking up 20k per year. No plans to replace!
JohnBuckles is offline   Reply With Quote