Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 engines 163bhp unreliable ????

Views : 11598

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 11:57   #61
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondequipe View Post
Diving into the fray here with my first post . . .

I did a fair bit of research (other than on this forum!) before buying a V70 and what seemed clear was that the Audi derived engine was gruff but solid, economical and reliable. Care had to be taken on cambelt and injector belt replacement times but otherwise good. The first D5s had injector and other problems but by 2003/4 these were sorted and the 163hp engine was excellent if complex. Long cambelt intervals and economical. The 185hp engines seemed to have less good reviews and the Geartronic boxes had more failures than equivalent other autos. Searching ebay or Gumtree for spares or repair cars gives a fair idea of what the Achilles heels on cars are.

Net result I deliberately looked for and bought a 2000 TDI that had had a quite OCD owner! I like the agricultural nature of the car as a counterpoint to my wife's modern Jaguar diesel and it's quick and economical enough for what I want.
The early P2 V70 had a Audi sourced diesel engine and these were badged Tdi. From MY2002 these very good engines were replaced with the even better Volvo D5 engine. This was developed exclusively for Volvo by Ricardo engineering and is not sourced from or used by any other manufacturer. This D5 is no more complex than any VAG, BMW or other similar unit, Volvo's own electronic management is excellent and it's often far easier to pinpoint obscure and intermittent faults on the D5 than with other makes and there is almost aircraft like resilience built into the system.

The geartronic boxes are fine, and used by many other manufacturers (Toyota, Nissan, GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Saab) - it's Volvo not including mandatory oil changes that kills most of them.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 23rd, 2017 at 12:09.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 20:18   #62
straightsix
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcab06 View Post
Looking at the forum topics it would appear that the later 5 cylinder diesel engine in 163bhp form is no where near as reliable as the old 140bhp unit fitted prior to year 2000.

DISCUSS ::
One of the best engines available from any manufacturer your assumption is laughable ..
straightsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 12:17   #63
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I don't dispute your claim about the reliability, or otherwise, of the D5 engine but as I read the original post by debcab06, he or she made no assumption about the engine's reliability. They made the suggestion that based on forum topics, the engine may be potentially unreliable and invited discussion. A lively discussion then ensued.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 13:27   #64
straightsix
I've Been Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
I don't dispute your claim about the reliability, or otherwise, of the D5 engine but as I read the original post by debcab06, he or she made no assumption about the engine's reliability. They made the suggestion that based on forum topics, the engine may be potentially unreliable and invited discussion. A lively discussion then ensued.

Martin
I’m sure if i made the equally absurd statement that it appears that all volvos are driven by old duffers with a liking for flat caps and werthers originals then “lively discussion “ would also ensue .....
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 15:01   #65
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Smile

Quite Probably! Just for the record, I dislike Werthers Originals and have never worn a flat cap.
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 16:24   #66
straightsix
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Quite Probably! Just for the record, I dislike Werthers Originals and have never worn a flat cap.
You must be trilby chap then....
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 16:56   #67
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:

Martin
Indeed, as I pointed out earlier thread, but we've never let the intent of the original post get in the way on the Forum as far as I can remember
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 05:13   #68
Rich850R
Master Member

We have a 2004 V70 D5 manual sport showing 211k, it's predominantly my wife's car which has been tastfullly modified with pegasus 18" wheels, v70r bumper and interior and T5 calipers and discs etc

We stick out 28ft caravan on the back and do circa 2.5k per year towing, what a fantastic all round car

Comfy and spacious if a little short of leg room in the rear, it's serviced on time by our local independent, when we bought it we popped a new turbo on, clutch and flywheel and it returns 40mpg around town, mid 50s on a sensible run and 25-30mpg towing, it's no slouch either but it's not designed for that is it, that's what our 855R is for

All in all a fantastic car for us and one which intend to run and run for a long time more
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 07:58   #69
straightsix
I've Been Banned

Great motor not the most exciting or refined diesel engine in the world but superb at what it does given correct maintenance should run for ever

The olde pre DPF 163 units are imho the best
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 14:37   #70
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperate View Post
One question I would ask is, do you know how many engines there are out there that don't have problems?? until you know that it is difficult to draw any conclusions.

Desp
ok ill kick this one off . no problems with mine 211000 miles smooth and quiet never failed to start ever . any engine is only as good as the maintenance on it and its aux parts..
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote