Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Suggested Alarm for Japanese import 850 R

Views : 967

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2019, 22:50   #1
Conradcyclo
Long term volvo owner an

Smile Suggested Alarm for Japanese import 850 R

Hi - I recently bought a great Volvo 850 R from Japan. Due to low theft rates in Japan, 850s do not have alarms or immobilisers. My car has a simple metal key with a hard plastic fob, there are no buttons or possible electronic functionality within the key.

Therefore, I would like some advice on:
a) a decent alarm that could be fitted by me or my local (non-Volvo) garage,
b) an immobiliser
c) Reversing sensors - can these be retro-fitted?

Thanks
Conradcyclo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 05:50   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradcyclo View Post
Hi - I recently bought a great Volvo 850 R from Japan. Due to low theft rates in Japan, 850s do not have alarms or immobilisers. My car has a simple metal key with a hard plastic fob, there are no buttons or possible electronic functionality within the key.

Therefore, I would like some advice on:
a) a decent alarm that could be fitted by me or my local (non-Volvo) garage,
b) an immobiliser
c) Reversing sensors - can these be retro-fitted?

Thanks
Are you sure it has no immobiliser? Even simple keys with no buttons can contain immobiliser chips

Tons of retrofit alarms and parking sensor systems on the market. Your local auto sparky will have examples.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Apr 26th, 2019 at 07:56.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 06:43   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I agree with 'SwissXC90' regarding the presence of an immobiliser. 'Conradcyclo'. As he says, there are also good quality after-market alarms and parking sensor solutions available.

Personally, as alarms tend to be ignored, I would prefer a good quality physical steering wheel immobiliser as a visible deterrent over an alarm. It may also be wise to consult your insurance company and be guided by their requirements / recommendations in the matter.

Regards, John.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 07:53   #4
Clogs
Clogs

Default Immobilisers

In the olden days before car alarms and immobilisers we had bits of metal strapped to steering wheels to deter thieves (e.g. Krooklocks) which were effective. Before that, in the 1960s, before cars had steering column locks and Krooklocks weren't invented, many of us installed a hidden switch somewhere under the dash that cut the power to the ignition, making hotwiring difficult.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clogs For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 07:57   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Anyway, who wants to steal an 850?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 08:16   #6
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogs View Post
In the olden days before car alarms and immobilisers we had bits of metal strapped to steering wheels to deter thieves (e.g. Krooklocks) which were effective. Before that, in the 1960s, before cars had steering column locks and Krooklocks weren't invented, many of us installed a hidden switch somewhere under the dash that cut the power to the ignition, making hotwiring difficult.
Indeed, 'Clogs'. Removing the rotor arm was also effective, assuming you didn't then lose it - but that's a story for another day! J.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 15:39   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
have you seen what an 850 R is valued at these days swiss. and as time goes on and spares become harder to find they are very desireable to thieves in the uk
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 20:42   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
People who are not morons.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 00:50   #9
Conradcyclo
Long term volvo owner an

Hi I think you are correct re the key and immobiliser. Also there is a small unit with flashing red led on dashboard. I suspect there is an alarm fitted and what's missing is "the doofer" (technical term)
Conradcyclo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 08:16   #10
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradcyclo View Post
Hi I think you are correct re the key and immobiliser. Also there is a small unit with flashing red led on dashboard. I suspect there is an alarm fitted and what's missing is "the doofer" (technical term)
Morning Conrad, You could get a key cut to pattern & try to start the car,would answer the question re. immobilisor. Photo's of car??? Please.

Regards,Keith.