Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Getting more keys

Views : 2561

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2019, 10:52   #11
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
With all due respect , what does that have to do with it ? That makes no difference to the equation unless you are selling the car .... Says me who has been spending more on my car than it is worth for the last 40 years :-)
Nothing, really, 'Clan'. It just irks me to spend close to £400 on a car for which I only paid £550 in the first place! Only my personal opinion, others may well differ. And 'StatusRed' did say he hoped it wouldn't break the bank!

Regards, John.
Old May 8th, 2019, 14:17   #12
StatusRed
Premier Member

Thanks for your advice guys! I've just had quotes from the dealer and it was eye watering... considering the car was free and I only paid to get it transported to me on a flat bed!

Approx £200 for a new key, £300 for a new key and fob, £500 for 2 sets of new keys and fobs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
I recently replaced the central control locking unit of my 2005 C70 with a unit from a breaker that came complete with 2 key fobs - try "Minty" on this forum

{His contact details can be found here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=2939820}

The C70 (850 based) uses the same unit 1998 to 2005. If you buy a second hand unit, that unit should come with the fob(s) which will be coded to it. The unit is a straight swap over and takes only a few minutes to do depending upon how easy you find it to get in under the dash. The unit you are looking for is shown in the picture below.

[IMG][/IMG]

To check which unit you need use a mirror and torch to establish which unit you have - if you slide off the unit from its bracket without removing the multi-plugs it has just enough slack on the cables to be able to read the part number which makes sure you get the right replacement - you don't even need to slide it back on the bracket - it will just hang there on the cables until you can get a replacement. It is easier to plug connectors in to the replaceemnt before you slide it back on the bracket.
I'm liking this idea a lot! I'll look into it and then I can temporarily (at least) manage with one key and decide if it's then worth paying the £200 to get an extra key.. How much did you pay for a second hand remote unit?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2019, 14:23   #13
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

It doesn't cost that much to get new keys from Volvo, after all you've got two arms and two legs so you can afford to give them one of each; alternatively plan ahead and have three children- an heir, a spare, and one to sell into slavery to fund a new Volvo key.

Anyone get the impression I'm rather in agreement with John on this?

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2019, 16:08   #14
ASt85
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Thanks for your advice guys! I've just had quotes from the dealer and it was eye watering... considering the car was free and I only paid to get it transported to me on a flat bed!

Approx £200 for a new key, £300 for a new key and fob, £500 for 2 sets of new keys and fobs...

I'm liking this idea a lot! I'll look into it and then I can temporarily (at least) manage with one key and decide if it's then worth paying the £200 to get an extra key.. How much did you pay for a second hand remote unit?
I honestly can't remember exactly how much I paid for the unit and 2 fobs as I had some other bits and pieces at the time. The whole lot was less than £60 including the postage. Your best bet is to give minty a ring.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293982

Re the key I'm told there are mobile car locksmiths who will copy the chip in your existing key & chip for around £80................as yet I've not found one in Kent.

NB some branches of Timpson's have code readers that can not only read but copy the Volvo chips, they acquired them when they bought out another chain in 2017...trouble is, it all depends which software package they have been supplied with so not all of their shops have the same code readers or indeed the copying software.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; May 8th, 2019 at 17:20.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 17:26   #15
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi ASt85, absolutely right. I had the same problem and a local locksmith couldn't read/copy the chip without volvo software which he said is very expensive and thereby prohibitive. How on earth can volvo justify their charges.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 18:18   #16
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Hi,

My summer project car (1999 C70 Coupé 2.4i) arrived on Sunday with 1 key. - This key looks very simple (photo to follow) with no remote locking..

I assume at some point this car had a key with remote locking, unless it wasn't standard? - When running VIDA on the car it's reporting thar 3 keys are registered to it.

I also assume that there's some sort of immobiliser inside this key, but could someone please confirm?

What I'd like to do is get 1 or 2 additional keys made, even better if it would be possible to get them with remote locking, but I don't want to break the bank! What would I need to do to make this happen?

Thanks.
Evening ST, How about a bit of detective work? 3 keys registered to the car. You could run a competition on The Forum. 'Find the prev.owners' There are a few 'Ex Job' Members who might add their expertise! You never know you might find somebody "Yes, I think I have got a key still"!!! Certainly worth a try??? The cost of the calls would be a drop in the ocean compared with the price of keys.

Regards, Keith.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2019, 20:34   #17
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Now thats a thought, Keith.

I bought my V70 from a dealer near Doncaster. The previous owner lived near Portsmouth and had part exchanged the car locally. I don't know quite how it found it's way up North, but assume that it must have been sent to auction, possibly passing through several hands before I bought it - ample opportunity for keys to go astray! I did ring the main dealer who had serviced the car from 2003 to 2012, who remembered the vehicle and was most helpful.

As you say, worth a shot (and maybe a few beer tokens) if it doesn't contravene any legislation or compromise anyone.

Regards, John.
Old May 9th, 2019, 09:29   #18
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

As a stop gap, you could get a 'standard key' cut . Then so long as The original key is in the car close enough to the antenna ring, the 'standard key' should start it. Just thinking as a 'stop gap', if the original key should snap?
I think I'm right in saying that some have hidden the chipped key somewhere in the dash and just carry on with a standard one. Not ideal I guess but thought worthy of a mench.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2019, 14:22   #19
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
I honestly can't remember exactly how much I paid for the unit and 2 fobs as I had some other bits and pieces at the time. The whole lot was less than £60 including the postage. Your best bet is to give minty a ring.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293982

Re the key I'm told there are mobile car locksmiths who will copy the chip in your existing key & chip for around £80................as yet I've not found one in Kent.

NB some branches of Timpson's have code readers that can not only read but copy the Volvo chips, they acquired them when they bought out another chain in 2017...trouble is, it all depends which software package they have been supplied with so not all of their shops have the same code readers or indeed the copying software.
Cheers, I got my first car (2001 Ford Fiesta) a second key for £40 at Timpsons - which I assume had an immobiliser in it back in 2012. So maybe it is doable I just assumed it wasn't doable based on Clan's response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
Evening ST, How about a bit of detective work? 3 keys registered to the car. You could run a competition on The Forum. 'Find the prev.owners' There are a few 'Ex Job' Members who might add their expertise! You never know you might find somebody "Yes, I think I have got a key still"!!! Certainly worth a try??? The cost of the calls would be a drop in the ocean compared with the price of keys.

Regards, Keith.
Not a bad idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
As a stop gap, you could get a 'standard key' cut . Then so long as The original key is in the car close enough to the antenna ring, the 'standard key' should start it. Just thinking as a 'stop gap', if the original key should snap?
I think I'm right in saying that some have hidden the chipped key somewhere in the dash and just carry on with a standard one. Not ideal I guess but thought worthy of a mench.
I was thinking of doing this, as a way to at least get into the car but not start the engine - might be useful in itself. If Timpsons can't make a spare with an immobiliser.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2019, 17:37   #20
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:

I was thinking of doing this, as a way to at least get into the car but not start the engine - might be useful in itself. If Timpsons can't make a spare with an immobiliser.
Timpson's cut me 3 "dead" spares for £20, the type that have the red chip holder built into the key shroud....which is why I pop back every 3 or so months to find out if our local branch has got hold of the updated readers and software.
They all open and start the car if the original key is inside the steering column shroud by the ignition lock....hmmmm?????

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c70, key, keys, remote