Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 dynamic pump timing help please.

Views : 434

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2019, 22:23   #1
Scdan4

Default V70 dynamic pump timing help please.

The mechanic has changed all belts and idlers on my 98 v70 tdi and now it’s got massive diesel / injector knock at idle. He took it back to pieces, put it back together again and it’s still knocking. He even went and borrowed a different set of locking pins in case his were off.

“Have you dynamically timed it? “ I asked. “You what now?” Says he.

Sorted. Except. Autodata has nothing about it. So he rang his mate at Volvo who checked their workshop manual. Nothing. He plugs in his (very) shiny snap on box and can’t see any facility to view dynamic timing. “I’ve done hundreds of these in lt45’s. Never had a problem, I don’t get it “ says he.

I’ve looked quite hard, but my Google fu is bobbins. I can find lots of people referencing doing it, but failed to find a how to. Could someone be kind enough to point me at one I can point him at please.?
Scdan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 23:51   #2
Martin Cox
VOC Member

You may find some more information in this recent thread.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293994

Although it refers to the 850 series, the engine is identical. So far as I am aware, the 1998 V70 Tdi isn't fully OBD2 compliant which might be why their code reader can't see anything useful.

A search on dynamic pump timing should also produce some useful information.

Martin
1998 V70 Tdi Auto

Last edited by Martin Cox; May 29th, 2019 at 23:59. Reason: punctuation
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2019, 09:30   #3
Scdan4

Thank you so much.

Dan
Old May 30th, 2019, 19:31   #4
Scdan4

All is resolved, but it wasn’t easy.
It turns out that I’ve got a bitsa. One end of the cam is fitted with Volvo pulleys, the other end is wearing VW items. This, it turns out matters as they are not quite identical...

Where the timing mark is in relation to the pulley keyway is (11 teeth) different between the 2. That’ll do it.

Thank goodness for proper mechanics. He had the dial gauge out and was working backwards to work this out, all off the clock. He was very annoyed with himself that it happened/ he couldn’t work it out.

Now all is good.

(Is there a forum search course you can do? I genuinely looked hard and yet, with the answer I cannot for the life of me fathom how I failed to find it by myself. Hey ho.)

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scdan4 For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2019, 21:49   #5
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Glad you got it sorted.

With regard to searching the forum, I too find it can be a bit of a hit or miss affair.

My 1998 V70 Tdi is pure Volvo and there are three timing marks, only two of which are any real use.

The first one is the peg in the flywheel that lines up with a small hole in the bottom of the bell housing that indicates when the crankshaft is in the correct position for no 1 piston to be at t.d.c.

The second one is the slot in the end of the camshaft at the injection pump end and this has to be upwards and parallel with the top edge of the cylinder head when no 1 piston is at t.d.c. Both No 1 cylinder valves will be closed.

There are no marks on either the crankshaft pulley or the camshaft pulleys nor are there any keyways in either of the camshaft pulleys. Both pulleys can be fitted in any orientation with respect to the camshaft and indeed setting the cambelt tension relies on the camshaft drive pulley being free to move with respect to the camshaft during the tensioning process. Torquing up the bolt then locks the pulley on its taper.

The third mark, is on the injection pump shaft. It'll show you when the pump is somewhere where it needs to be when No 1 piston is at the compression stroke but won't allow you to time the pump with any accuracy. Again tensioning the belt relies on the camshaft pulley being free to move during the tensioning and it's then held in place when the bolt is torqued up. However there's no taper on the shaft for this pulley. it's just a flat surface on the end of the camshaft.

It does take a little getting your head around the fact that there aren't any marks on the pulleys and realising why it doesn't need them.

It does sound as though Volkswagen may do things slightly differently

Thank you for taking the trouble to let us know how you got on and what the solution turned out to be. It's always appreciated and we do like to hear the end of the story.

They're lovely engines when they're set up right.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto 224,000 miles

Last edited by Martin Cox; May 30th, 2019 at 21:53. Reason: Additional content and grammatical corrections
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2019, 04:17   #6
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post

The first one is the peg in the flywheel that lines up with a small hole in the bottom of the bell housing that indicates when the crankshaft is in the correct position for no 1 piston to be at t.d.c.

They're lovely engines when they're set up right.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto 224,000 miles
That slot is really important, most of the engines I have come across have the camshaft slightly out of time! they run much better when it is spot on!!