Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

Views : 107259

Replies : 434

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 23:46   #1
ollieoxford

Default ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

For all of you with 1999 to 2001 Volvo 70's who (like me) have suffered ETS lights coming on, and expensive (£800+) Electronic throttle module failures, it would appear that Volvo North America has finally admitted to this being an initial design problem, and has extended the warrenty on the ETM to 10 years / 200,000 miles.

(http://www.vexedvolvo.com for all the details).

This obviously comes as no consolation to anyone in the UK who has already forked out big money for a replacement unit, and then discovers (as I have found) that the replacement unit can fail within 10,000 miles.

Short of opening a can of worms here, since I'm waiting for an official response from Volvo UK on this one, I'd like to gather as much information from users on this forum of their own experiences with respect to this problem, so I can hand a complete file to the relevant parties and consumer organisations, in the hope that we can achieve a similar outcome here.

Ollie

C70 T(rouble)5
940 2.3LPT
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 01:51   #2
GrahamB
GrahamB

Default RE: ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

I guess that this issue justifies a lot of attention and input from members, particularly those that have been affected, or are likely to be affected.
I had an exchange of Emails with Don Willson of VEXED, who advised that my 2000 V70 Classic at 115000mls and with no ETM failure that I know of, is running on borrowed time, which is very worrying.(I have only had the car since 100,000mls)
What was interesting is that he advised that our Which? magazine is taking an interest and attempts are being made to get the BBC involved, presumably a program like Watchdog, which might sharpen the corporate mind?
I gather that Volvo's US arrangements for replacements on failure are not yet fully in place. Presumably Volvo is considering how to deal with the rest of the world and will make a statement soon - we hope! I trust that the VOC will be among the first to be advised.
Audi A4 Avant TDI - Traitor
GrahamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 13:53   #3
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

My V70 is now on 85,000 miles with the original ETM...

I'm getting nervous now waiting on Volvo to do something.

I asked Volvo "Customer Care" about the current plan and was told:
"Volvo UK has no plans regarding this component at present".

Great.

I don't mind so much buying a replacement, but if that fails after 10,000 miles then I'll be stuffed. I do 25,000 miles a year, or £2,000 worth of replacement ETMs!!! That's £167 a month to put aside for ETM failure...

That's just not even funny.

Unless something is done soon, the first signs of failure will lead to me trading my car in for a Honda or something else designed to last.
That would be sad, because I do love my V70.

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilburner For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 16:28   #4
Al115
Premier Member

Yeah, this has been posted up before...

If you're looking to compile a list of UK parties who have suffered ETM failures - great! Add my name, TWICE. :-)

Alastair

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopos...umbs/alava.gif
Al115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 16:30   #5
Al115
Premier Member

Forgot to say, I have also spoken with reps from "the BBC programme". They don't have much support at present so if we're going to get a list going, I'm sure that would help the cause.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopos...umbs/alava.gif
Al115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 20:10   #6
volvo2
Master Member

I also had an exchange of e-mail with Mr Wilson. Unfortunately, not particularly fruitful.

Amongst others here in the UK, I contacted Watchdog and Which some time ago. Neither were interested in following this up. I believe the BBC contact that Mr Wilson refers to may have followed. I also wrote to Volvo UK twice with no success.

M Smith
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 18:40   #7
ollieoxford

I have now received the following corporate UK reply:

"Volvo Car Corporation are currently investigating complaints raised regarding the ETM (Electronic Throttle Module) fitted to their large car variants upon request from NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration) and CARB ( California Air Resources Board). To date no Recall or Field Action has been launched. Volvo will respond to NHTSA and CARB) by the end of September and meetings will follow. Thereafter, a decision will be taken as to what action, if any, is to be undertaken.

This action does not affect the UK market as NHTSA and CARB are both based in the US. Once all investigations are complete, VCC will determine which markets are affected, if any. Should a recall be launched, your dealer will contact you and therefore please ensure that your dealer has your latest contact details."

Basically, - watch this space but don't hold your breath.

Since my replacement ETM failed under 12 month unlimited mileage warranty, I am apparently covered for its replacement. (This I'll wait and see when I've managed to get it too my local dealer - different from the original dealer). I've already had the line from the garage though, that this is a different part to the US part (which is actually untrue). Hopefully my replacement will last long enough for Volvo UK to have sorted itself out(or alternatively fail within 12 months so it is replaced under warrenty!)

What was ever wrong with a mechanical throttle cable?

Ollie

C70 T(rouble)5
940 LPT
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 18:47   #8
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

whoops...duplicate posting...

Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 18:48   #9
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

whoops..duplicate posting..

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 18:49   #10
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

"VCC will determine which markets are affected, if any"

Statements like that show that Volvo are still in denial over the whole thing. If it wasn't for California's strict emmissions laws and the dodgy memo that was leaked, we wouldn't even as got as far as these extended warranties in North America.

The chances of Volvo putting their hands up to this and putting our minds at rest seem to be getting more remote.

Out of interest, what mileage did your ETM fail at, and how many miles did the new one do before that failed?

I'm at 85K now with my V70, still with original ETM...