Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What’s your driving position?

Views : 3155

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2021, 15:00   #11
Kenp8257

I don't get the really low seated position that puts you low in the driving seat - making you look like a kid in a car...... I know it's a trend with the youth (yes, I'm getting old now) and meant to be a realistic racing position (though race cars have the top part of the windscreen taped off)....

But I just don't get it....

I have a S90 R-Design, 5' 8" and have the seat fairly high so I can see as much as possible of the road and bonnet (MY17, no front sensors or camera)...

Seat is slightly reclined, not too much
Kenp8257 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenp8257 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 15:39   #12
OnyxBlaster
Volvo Virgin

I have my seat height set at whatever level is comfortable for my arms/elbows on the door and centre armrests. Seat cushion usually tilted up at the front, backrest fairly reclined and seat base position then adjusted to reach the pedals comfortably. Finally adjust steering wheel height and reach for comfort.
OnyxBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 16:47   #13
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
I am 6 foot,2 and a half and love to sit really low in car.

I do have long legs.

I might have been a good high hurdler.
Hello there Yeoman! I thought you had disappeared off to the land of MB months ago now!
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 19:27   #14
St Evelyn
VOC Member

I have my seat set as low as possible and reclined a little. As I'm 6' 5.5" with a long back, this leaves my head just shy of the rooflining - and I've no sunroof, so you'd struggle to get your eyes much higher. For whatever reason I have no issues with the HUD, instead finding that I can adjust it to the perfect viewing height.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 23:51   #15
Mobileadam

Just to Wade in as I have previously posted about seat position : I’d be interested in knowing people’s seat back angle by using the measure app on a smartphone? I’ve got the R design curved seats in my XC60 so I can only really measure the top half of the seat but I have mine set to around 20 degrees although I do go up and down with the seat base so that seems to impact it slightly.

It has only been recently, after 3k miles and 6 months have I started to feel close to comfortable and my normal aches are in neck / shoulders.

Still far better than the x5s that went before though!
Mobileadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 13:09   #16
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polestar Pete View Post
I'm slightly more reclined and more sat back than I was in my previous car. Being too upright in the R Design seats makes my shoulders ache for some reason.
I miss r design seats..l.you feel more cushioned and moulded to the seat.

I feel a bit loose, if that makes sense, without them. It doesn’t sculpt the body like the r design seats.
ThomasC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasC91 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2021, 22:39   #17
Mobileadam

Quote:
I'm slightly more reclined and more sat back than I was in my previous car. Being too upright in the R Design seats makes my shoulders ache for some reason.
Interesting…how far back would you say your seat angle is? I’m having a similar problem. Thanks
Old May 6th, 2021, 10:28   #18
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobileadam View Post
Interesting…how far back would you say your seat angle is? I’m having a similar problem. Thanks
It's about 30 degrees off vertical when I place my measuring stick ("Measure" app on my iphone) against the R design logo on the seat back.

I also reduced the reach of the thigh extender a notch, maybe that helped.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2021, 21:27   #19
Mobileadam

Quote:
It's about 30 degrees off vertical when I place my measuring stick ("Measure" app on my iphone) against the R design logo on the seat back.

I also reduced the reach of the thigh extender a notch, maybe that helped.
Thanks for the response. I only have the R Design logo on the headrest so I guess you have a different year than mine. 30 degrees does sound like a lot though. I only get discomfort at my neck / shoulders never really my back. Currently trying with my seat much closer.
Old May 6th, 2021, 23:10   #20
MikeGMT
VOC Member

I always set the seat in the following way in all the cars I’ve owned. First I set the seat to the required height, usually I have the lowest setting, then raise the front of the seat squab so it just supports the thighs, then set the seat to the pedals, so I can apply full force to the brake without lifting my foot of the floor. Set the backrest, I prefer a slight incline, it always looks almost upright at first glance but is somewhere around 15-20°.
Set the wheel so there is a slight bend in the elbows, then I straighten my arms and ensure I can touch the top of the wheel with my wrists. Set mirrors and commit setting to memory.

In this configuration I find you seem to slide down into the seat and your back and shoulders are well supported, you feel as if you are sitting in the seat rather than on it.

Once you start driving the car I usually find you adopt a slightly different composure so have to make a few minor adjustments. I am a long time back sufferer and find these settings don’t give me back, shoulder or arm strain after long spells at the wheel.