Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noisy windscreen wipers

Views : 1008

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2014, 15:03   #1
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Default Noisy windscreen wipers

Hi all,

My 92 240SE est has done 190,000 and the windscreen wipers sound as though they've done half a million. I'd describe the sound as creaking, groaning, and I can hear the sound of rods moving behind the dash, knocking and play. The wiper blades themselves skip and stutter across the screen, with accompanying moaning sounds. I can barely hear the rear shocks rattling it's that bad.

Before I start mucking around trying to get behind the dashboard, has anyone got some good pointers to get me started?

Thanks in advance,

John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2014, 16:36   #2
D19VDM
VOC Member

Mine used to sound and act like that but it wasn't the linkage that was at fault. It was the motor. New motor and everything sweet afterwards. Might be worth taking the motor off and running it to check it. The motor is simple to remove
D19VDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2014, 21:06   #3
geoffo
saving 240's one by one

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
Hi all,

My 92 240SE est has done 190,000 and the windscreen wipers sound as though they've done half a million. I'd describe the sound as creaking, groaning, and I can hear the sound of rods moving behind the dash, knocking and play. The wiper blades themselves skip and stutter across the screen, with accompanying moaning sounds. I can barely hear the rear shocks rattling it's that bad.

Before I start mucking around trying to get behind the dashboard, has anyone got some good pointers to get me started?

Thanks in advance,

John
Mine makes all of those well described sounds plus a rhythmic clang at the end of every sweep........
geoffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2014, 21:17   #4
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi John..remove the glovebox and check operation of the linkage on the first stage off the motor spindle..Ive had the retaining nut become loose in the past..hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 06:45   #5
deauville

Default noisy wiper

had the same problem my mechanic found the n/s spindle that connects to the wiper arm had seized solid and the o/s arm was pulling the n/s one through the wiper operation. bought a new linkage from a breakers problem solved
deauville is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deauville For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 15:09   #6
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

I thought I'd do a thread about my noisy wipers to find that I already started a thread about this in 2014 - and I've put up with them for another 7 years!

But - recently I've had the stereo out, so I can see the rods of the wipers at that central point, and they feel fairly floppy when stationary.

Viewing this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9QelAi7wwg - which is a LHD 240 with wipers in motion - we can see that there are cables and partial-pullys which are used to attach and pivot the rods.

My question is: should I try tightening those cables a little with the nuts at the ends, see if that takes some of the play out and reduces the groaning, clunking sounds - or is this just going to cause the cables to break and a whole new headache?

It stands to reason that the cables will stretch after nearly 30 years. Do all 240 wipers get noisy over time because of this?

Thanks
John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote