Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2024006

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2020, 16:09   #1551
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The vinyl is only 1-2mm thick Alan so plenty of room.

I see John beat me to it for most of the glass roof response.
Many thanks Dave and John,

That would look really good - if the steel sunroof panel could be covered as well. I'll speak with Martrim on Monday.

Here is a photo of the roof - and the open sunroof (it is a lovely day). You may be able to see that the roof now looks quite a lot better after a scrub and polish, but there is a clear line of brighter paint where I removed the shark's fin (also some touch up where the glue took some paint with it.

I think a vinyl roof would compliment the RB's classic look - I like this idea.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 16:30   #1552
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Would be a good opportunity to repaint the wind deflector satin black as well!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jul 31st, 2020 at 16:31. Reason: Speeling
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 17:45   #1553
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Would be a good opportunity to repaint the wind deflector satin black as well!
That would be sensible with a black vinyl roof Dave.
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 18:59   #1554
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

i'm not sure that a vinyl roof would be appropriate for the RB. Yes, the 262C had a vinyl roof but I can't recall ever seeing a 240 with one.
As for the thickness, Mark 1 Granada Ghias (posh siblings to the Consuls used in, though not by, The Sweeney) had both a steel sunroof and a vinyl covering so that probably wouldn't be an issue.

Or there's the Avenger Sunshine, which had a vinyl rear half covering on its lid?!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 19:26   #1555
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That would be sensible with a black vinyl roof Dave.
The original colour is Satin Black, certainly with the black roof it would make a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
i'm not sure that a vinyl roof would be appropriate for the RB. Yes, the 262C had a vinyl roof but I can't recall ever seeing a 240 with one.
As for the thickness, Mark 1 Granada Ghias (posh siblings to the Consuls used in, though not by, The Sweeney) had both a steel sunroof and a vinyl covering so that probably wouldn't be an issue.

Or there's the Avenger Sunshine, which had a vinyl rear half covering on its lid?!
I've seen a few 244s with vinyl roofs over the years, long time since i saw the last one in fairness though.

Here's a list of 20 cars that looked good with vinyl roofs, second image is in fact a 262C and in the image, looks very similar to a frontal shot of the RB, particularly with the big headlamps.

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...roof-look/#top

Also the Hillman Avenger GT with the half covered roof, i believe the Avenger Sunshine was a run-out model based on left over vinyl roof kits for the GT but might be wrong.

Many police forces did use the Consul 3000GT in real life as they had a manual box, weighed less than the Granada GXL (lack of extras) and were generally quicker than the 3000 Granada.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 19:49   #1556
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Thank you Loki,
I had a look at the way the sunroof retracts - and I think you are right - the mechanism drops down a considerable way when it opens, so a vinyl covering should not be an issue.

Alan
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 19:52   #1557
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The original colour is Satin Black, certainly with the black roof it would make a lot of sense.

I've seen a few 244s with vinyl roofs over the years, long time since i saw the last one in fairness though.

Here's a list of 20 cars that looked good with vinyl roofs, second image is in fact a 262C and in the image, looks very similar to a frontal shot of the RB, particularly with the big headlamps.

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...roof-look/#top

Also the Hillman Avenger GT with the half covered roof, i believe the Avenger Sunshine was a run-out model based on left over vinyl roof kits for the GT but might be wrong.

Many police forces did use the Consul 3000GT in real life as they had a manual box, weighed less than the Granada GXL (lack of extras) and were generally quicker than the 3000 Granada.
Thanks Dave,
I’d found that 262C photo during a previous search this afternoon - I think it looks pretty good. It is a pity the RB no longer has that chrome windscreen surround - that would have hidden the front edge of the vinyl really well.

Alan
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 05:35   #1558
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
You forgot Option e Alan!
... for completeness Dave: option f would be to fit a new shark's fin spoiler:

... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

:-)
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 08:42   #1559
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... for completeness Dave: option f would be to fit a new shark's fin spoiler:

... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

:-)
If you WERE to do that then I would seek to have you certified as "unfit to own a Volvo" and be forced to drive a Morris Marina 1.3 for life!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 09:01   #1560
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
If you WERE to do that then I would seek to have you certified as "unfit to own a Volvo" and be forced to drive a Morris Marina 1.3 for life!
Sorry but that punishment just isn't severe enough - how about a Reliant Regal with a permanently duff plug? Three wheels, only capable of running on 3 cylinders (at best), no reverse...................