Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 84251

Replies : 2585

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2021, 17:45   #2511
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 14:41
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What about this Alan? It's from a 7/9xx rear left and also fits the V90 (not sure about the S90) so might give you an idea :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372707852745
I saw that one for sale Dave, but it would be 50 with the postage (and maybe some import duty? I don't know) - if I did that I might as well buy the new parts for 200/pair. I'll be looking for a pair for 20 or there about - maybe from a local scrapyard.

It might be helpful to know that perhaps I'll be looking for a 740/760/940/960/V90 as I wander around with a 10mm spanner though.

:-)
__________________
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2021, 18:49   #2512
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 14:30
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I saw that one for sale Dave, but it would be 50 with the postage (and maybe some import duty? I don't know) - if I did that I might as well buy the new parts for 200/pair. I'll be looking for a pair for 20 or there about - maybe from a local scrapyard.

It might be helpful to know that perhaps I'll be looking for a 740/760/940/960/V90 as I wander around with a 10mm spanner though.

:-)
Agreed that the cost would be prohibitive for a simple piece of plastic Alan, it was more to show the shape (which it doesn't do that well to be honest) but it might be worth a word with Luke to see if he has any 940 wheel arch liners from the back end?
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2021, 20:19   #2513
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 14:41
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Agreed that the cost would be prohibitive for a simple piece of plastic Alan, it was more to show the shape (which it doesn't do that well to be honest) but it might be worth a word with Luke to see if he has any 940 wheel arch liners from the back end?
Absolutely Dave, a good idea, why didn't I think of that!
__________________
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2021, 16:39   #2514
360beast
Ryland's Restorations
 
360beast's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 14:33
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Default

Yes, yes I do
__________________
Used Volvo parts, servicing and repairs.
Email rylandsrestorations@outlook.com or private message your enquiries.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2021, 08:22   #2515
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 14:41
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Yes, yes I do
As we discussed Luke, we'll try them for size later this week.

I was comparing some photos of 240 and 940 rear arches and the 940 is slightly squared off at the top, but the radii at the sides looks similar to the 240. I'm wondering whether the heat gun may be my friend in persuading the top edge into place - as long as they look more or less okay I'll give it a go (and that would be very much in keeping with the RB's ethos).

:-)
__________________
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2021, 05:54   #2516
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 14:41
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default Rear Wheel Arch Liners - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
As we discussed Luke, we'll try them for size later this week.

I was comparing some photos of 240 and 940 rear arches and the 940 is slightly squared off at the top, but the radii at the sides looks similar to the 240. I'm wondering whether the heat gun may be my friend in persuading the top edge into place - as long as they look more or less okay I'll give it a go (and that would be very much in keeping with the RB's ethos).

:-)
... here is a photo of a 740/940 wheel arch liner, you may see it is a bit squared off at the top:



I tried it on the RB and to my surprise the fit is remarkably good:



This was just a test fit to see if it was in the right ballpark (as the Americans would say) - and the answer is: it is pretty close. The radii at the sides are the same, the width is as well (where the two fixing holes would go rest nicely against the inside of the steel wheel arch). It is just the top but that needs pulling up a bit. The material is quite flexible, so my feeling is an hour with the hot air gun should have this problem solved.

I still need to find a 740/940 liner for the passenger's side :-)
__________________

Last edited by Othen; May 5th, 2021 at 05:56. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2021, 10:33   #2517
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 14:30
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

That looks a very good fit Alan!

I'd suggest using just enough heat from the gun to get them in place and let them cool in situ but giving the whole liner some warmth to help the whole thing stretch and shrink as necessary to line up nicely with the arch. I'm guessing that was your plan anyway.
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2021, 11:56   #2518
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 14:41
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That looks a very good fit Alan!

I'd suggest using just enough heat from the gun to get them in place and let them cool in situ but giving the whole liner some warmth to help the whole thing stretch and shrink as necessary to line up nicely with the arch. I'm guessing that was your plan anyway.
Exactly Dave.
__________________
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2021, 14:41   #2519
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 14:41
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default Rear wheel arch liners - Part 2

I had half an hour on fitting the 740/940 rear wheel arch liners this afternoon, before being beaten by the rain.

The front is a passable fit:



...and at the rear:



Overall not bad, it needs a bit more work if the weather improves tomorrow:



A bit of trimming and a little more heat here and there. I was thinking of using Saab plastic upholstery fixings to secure it (because I have some). With the wheel fitted (still jacked up:



... more to follow.
__________________
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2021, 14:51   #2520
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 14:30
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

A little adjustment of the actual arch in that last photo Alan and i reckon it'll pop straight in!
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:41.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.