Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cat thieves

Views : 1623

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2021, 10:22   #1
haymitch

Default Cat thieves

I had a visit from the cat thieves last night who managed to make off with the converter Really gutted as I've been really worrying about it happening following reports on here. My neighbour disturbed them in the process of trying to take my alloy wheels just to add insult to injury.

Just thought I'd let you all know - if you're lucky enough to have a garage or secure off road parking then I think it's time to start using it

Last edited by haymitch; Apr 28th, 2021 at 10:31.
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 11:01   #2
volvo always
Premier Member

Sorry to hear that. It's a massive problem. The precious metals value has gone right up in the last year and scum nicking cats from all sorts of vehicles. The older cats have more value and Hybrid vehicles a real target like my Toyota Auris. I have a cat cover to try to protect it.

My Volvo cat is aftermarket, so hope less valuable. At least on our older 940 etc it does not need a type approved cat. Mine 4 years ago was £55.00 Probably 3 times that. Auris genuine toyota with fitting around £1200 as sensors get nicked too.

My Volvo and Auris is in a locked gated community, but try not to leave them long when out!

Hope you can get a BM cat replacement and fixed as cheaply as possible.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 12:59   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

Touch wood I haven't fallen victim to the scum yet but then my Volvos are parked on a private, sloping gravel driveway covered by CCTV.

One of my 940s did have a complete OEM exhaust system (including cat) fitted some years ago but it didn't last anything like as long as the original and I had to have a replacement fitted recently. The local garage used A2A parts and first impressions are positive. The cat is not OEM shape, but much more compact.

I guess this is them: www.a2aexhaust.com
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 16:26   #4
haymitch

Cheers - I hope that your vehicles are not targeted. Does anyone have experience on how insurers respond to claims for catalytic converter theft with an old car? I'm getting quotes myself before contacting the insurers so I know what I'm dealing with. I'm wondering if they'll want to write the car off rather than cover the repairs.

I'm also considering a cat lock to stop the same thing happening again - quite pricey though!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 18:27   #5
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
Cheers - I hope that your vehicles are not targeted. Does anyone have experience on how insurers respond to claims for catalytic converter theft with an old car? I'm getting quotes myself before contacting the insurers so I know what I'm dealing with. I'm wondering if they'll want to write the car off rather than cover the repairs.

I'm also considering a cat lock to stop the same thing happening again - quite pricey though!
I have heard of one older Toyota Prius being written off by the insurance company. 2nd theft no chance as premiums rocket and insurance high.

On my 940 I wouldn't claim. Just buy a replacement cat around £50 plus probably a bit of pipe and joiner off Ebay as generally cut the cat off with some of the existing exhaust downpipe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...erter&_sacat=0

I fear loaded premiums and worst case refuse to cover the cat.

A cover will slow them down so long as fixings not just bolts.

James

Last edited by volvo always; Apr 28th, 2021 at 18:31.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 18:36   #6
Shortos

Sorry to hear this

Thinking universally, Perhaps a deterrent sticker on our vehicles may help? Something along the meaning of “Cat already stolen and replaced with cheap aftermarket”

May or may not have the desired effect but worth a try maybe
Shortos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shortos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 20:20   #7
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

My V70R was targeted last week - Insurance company confirmed they would total loss the vehicle if I wanted to persue a claim.

I'm going down the route of aftermarket cat and fittings currently.

I don't think they strike the same car twice, as they'll know it's likely been replaced with a cheap cat that isn't worth their time. Easier to go down a different street and hit another unsuspecting car for something worth a bit more.

Cheers,
James
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamesV70R For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 10:27   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I just hope the scrotes can tell the difference between a cat and a standard resonator box. No cat on mine thankfully, just the resonator box but they're like unicorn poo to find.

Been discussing this on another forum and the general consensus is that if the victim of cat theft has a crime number, they should be allowed to legally run with a straight decat pipe to combat this cat theft pandemic - yes it is worldwide!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 17:14   #9
haymitch

Thanks for the advice - I'm going down the aftermarket route as well. Hopefully they they won't hit the same car again (perhaps I'll leave some kind of trap for them if they do come back though!). Maybe I'll wrap the cat in some barb wire
The Following User Says Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 17:16   #10
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
Maybe I'll wrap the cat in some barb wire
Unfortunately that probably won't stop them, not with their recipricating saws and gloves - you want to hook up 24V (or more .. ) so when they start cutting they are the route to ground ...

James
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamesV70R For This Useful Post: